Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2016, 07:37 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,675,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

Also lets use that tax money to further subsidize clean energy since as you know NJ has one of the higher renewable energy portfolios in the US. BOEM is nearly done with the offshore wind farm surveys, and that will be an excellent renewable source for NJ. Oyster creek could use some updating to keep it online for another 20 years.
Let's just get to it now:

"Coalman" who does not give a rat's arse about the consequences of his coal and climate change comes in here, the Green Living forum, practically holding hands with his good buddy "Old Guard" to rouse up "Greenies" and to pontificate his excellent scientific understanding and how the rest of us are simply misinterpreting the science or are too lofty in our ideals.

But let's take it in another, more Mendelian direction... maybe brushing up against some Freud?.. What would happen if you pair up "Coal Man" and "Old Guard" together, like a Punnett square?

You get these combinations:

Coal Guard
Coal Old
Man Old
Man Guard
Old Man
Old Coal
Guard Coal
Guard Man

Old Man Guard Coal.

Old men guarding coal are in this forum because they're throwing a fit: they're losing. They're losing an argument and a way of life.

Renewable energy is coming online as it becomes more desirable and affordable. One day I'll make my own damn energy and Old Man Guard Coal will become completely obsolete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 08:22 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,626,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post

"Coalman" who does not give a rat's arse about the consequences of his coal and climate change comes in here, the Green Living forum, practically holding hands with his good buddy "Old Guard" to rouse up "Greenies" and to pontificate his excellent scientific understanding and how the rest of us are simply misinterpreting the science or are too lofty in our ideals.

But let's take it in another, more Mendelian direction... maybe brushing up against some Freud?.. What would happen if you pair up "Coal Man" and "Old Guard" together, like a Punnett square?

Coal Guard
Coal Old
Man Old
Man Guard
Old Man
Old Coal
Guard Coal
Guard Man

Old Man Guard Coal.

Old men guarding coal are in this forum because they're throwing a fit: they're losing. They're losing an argument and a way of life.

Renewable energy is coming online as it becomes more desirable and affordable. One day I'll make my own damn energy and Old Man Guard Coal will become completely obsolete.
I think the term you're looking for is "Orwellian." Though this is really more "Tin Foil Hat-ian."

Old 11-14-2016, 08:39 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
You ignored everything I posted. Why?

Is it because you now maybe realize that when the EPA is dismantled states will have no recourse for interstate pollution?

As for your claim that federal vehicles do not need to meet emissions standards, do you not get that California has different emission standards than the rest of the country, including the feds? Just because they do not have to meet california standards does not mean they do not have to meet emissions standards at all
Vehicles from other States are licensed here all the time... not all are 50 State Emission.

Doesn't change the fact the retired CHP vehicles, Park Ranger, Fire Department, etc. may have non functioning Catalytic Converters or otherwise exceed emission standards and this is because they are NOT tested... thus the disclaimer. These vehicles are typically plated EXEMPT on the license plate.

As an individual, I do not have the option of selling a non compliant vehicle in State unless it is sold for parts or to a Dealer... private party sales require a valid smog to be furnished or the seller remains liable for emission deficiencies... unless the seller is a government agency.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:59 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,675,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
I think the term you're looking for is "Orwellian." Though this is really more "Tin Foil Hat-ian."
The only thing in this forum that is Orwellian is the idea that hanging on to 19th century energy for 21st century society is preferable.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:00 AM

9,872 posts, read 7,747,075 times
Quote:
the above is misconstrued. While there have been cycles of glacial minima and maxima (warming and ice ages) those cycles, called milankovitch cycles, are based on orbital variations like precession, obliquity, eccentricity, and so on. These are measurable, and are not responsible for the current climate change.

Additionally, those changes happen on much slower time scales.

Finally, it is absolutely true that climate has changed before, but drastic climate changes are typically accompanied by extinctions. We are in the unique position to mitigate this particular climate change, and it is in our best interest as a species to do so.
extinctions

Old 11-14-2016, 09:52 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
The only thing in this forum that is Orwellian is the idea that hanging on to 19th century energy for 21st century society is preferable.
There will always be a variety of energy sources...

Wood, Coal, Gas, Oil, Solar, Wind, Geothermal, Nuclear, etc...

Remember when Nuclear was the Holy Grail and would set us free?

President Carter touted wood as American's great renewable energy resource...

Just saying...

Old 11-14-2016, 10:10 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Vehicles from other States are licensed here all the time... not all are 50 State Emission.

Doesn't change the fact the retired CHP vehicles, Park Ranger, Fire Department, etc. may have non functioning Catalytic Converters or otherwise exceed emission standards and this is because they are NOT tested... thus the disclaimer. These vehicles are typically plated EXEMPT on the license plate.

As an individual, I do not have the option of selling a non compliant vehicle in State unless it is sold for parts or to a Dealer... private party sales require a valid smog to be furnished or the seller remains liable for emission deficiencies... unless the seller is a government agency.
You are claiming that government vehicles do not have to meet federal emissions laws without a source and nothing more than your own interpretation. Sorry it doesn't pass the sniff test.

And you have yet again, ignored all the part of posts that prove your wrong. If you are going to ignore and cherry pick, there is no point in pretending you are interested in a rational discussion.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
There will always be a variety of energy sources...

Wood, Coal, Gas, Oil, Solar, Wind, Geothermal, Nuclear, etc...

Remember when Nuclear was the Holy Grail and would set us free?

President Carter touted wood as American's great renewable energy resource...

Just saying...
There will not "always" be coal, gas, and oil. They are finite resources.

And in my state 1/3 of energy comes from nuclear. It is a great renewable resource, and if nuclear research hadn't been demonized in the 80s we would already be on fusion which solves the problem of waste.

Wood is not efficient enough to use to generate electricity.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
extinctions
??

Old 11-14-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:

Coal Guard
Coal Old
Man Old
Man Guard
Old Man
Old Coal
Guard Coal
Guard Man

Old Man Guard Coal.

I get it. When I was starting out as researcher I did observation work on fishing vessels. Those guys were looking at the loss of their way of life as well. It is sad, but inevitable, and holding on to something just because it is what you know is human nature but not beneficial in the long run, to either the individual or society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living