Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 05:23 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

Toyota introduce the line in 1997. I did not think they were out that early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 07:34 AM

1,245 posts, read 923,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
As a Prius owner, I know a bunch of other Prius owners. All of whom I know are pro-gun [either advocating Open Carry or Concealed Carry] conservatives.

But I see that online for some reason non-Prius owners seem to project the idea that Prius owners must be liberals.

I am not sure why this disconnect from reality exists.
Last time I knew, prius still had an engine too, so it is technically not a fully electric car. Prius drivers usually go as slow as a bicyclist. It really doesn't matter what side of politics you are on, prius drivers aren't going to be liked.
If I was rich I wouldn't mind a tesla, but I don't like elon musk with his constant chicken little, the "sky is going to fall" climate change non-sense.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:45 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookb4youcross View Post
Last time I knew, prius still had an engine too, so it is technically not a fully electric car. Prius drivers usually go as slow as a bicyclist. It really doesn't matter what side of politics you are on, prius drivers aren't going to be liked.
If I was rich I wouldn't mind a tesla, but I don't like elon musk with his constant chicken little, the "sky is going to fall" climate change non-sense.
So buy a Hummer and tell yourself that you are Rambo. You're in the wrong forum. Green Denial is down the hall.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:37 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
So buy a Hummer and tell yourself that you are Rambo. You're in the wrong forum. Green Denial is down the hall.
A fine example of why green energy is politicized

Old 02-18-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
When I unplug and drive away my first 20-some miles are electric-only.

My acceleration at an interstate on-ramp is far better than what it was when I was a teenager driving cars of the 1960s and 70s.

My driving habit is to generally set cruise-control at ~10% above whatever the posted speed is.

The interstate that cuts through my township is posted at 75mph. Everyday I drive on it at 82mph.

There is nothing to a Prius that would cause anyone to drive slower than any other car. They have rapid acceleration, they handle well, and they perform nicely at higher speeds.

They are cheap cars, plus they give us an option to spend less on fuel.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
A fine example of why green energy is politicized
Exactly! Dcforever see's what he wants to see. Have you ever seen that 10:10 video clip called "no pressure" that use to be advertised on TV if you didn't go a long with them? Environmentalists have some real nasty thought crimes going on.

I will still continue to look for ways to lower my energy costs, and expand my solar system.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
When I unplug and drive away my first 20-some miles are electric-only.

My acceleration at an interstate on-ramp is far better than what it was when I was a teenager driving cars of the 1960s and 70s.

My driving habit is to generally set cruise-control at ~10% above whatever the posted speed is.

The interstate that cuts through my township is posted at 75mph. Everyday I drive on it at 82mph.

There is nothing to a Prius that would cause anyone to drive slower than any other car. They have rapid acceleration, they handle well, and they perform nicely at higher speeds.

They are cheap cars, plus they give us an option to spend less on fuel.
What is the top speed you can go on electric only with a prius? Do taller people have decent head room?

Old 02-19-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
What is the top speed you can go on electric only with a prius? Do taller people have decent head room?
I have no idea what the top end is. I have never gone over 90, yet.

I am 5'10" and I wear a hat most of the time.

When we first bought a Prius, we loaded 4 large adults [2 of whom are obese] and all our luggage for a 3,000 mile road-trip to attend a wedding. No problems.

I am a farmer, by myself I routinely carry 20 bags of feed grains [50pound each] in the back.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I have no idea what the top end is. I have never gone over 90, yet.

I am 5'10" and I wear a hat most of the time.

When we first bought a Prius, we loaded 4 large adults [2 of whom are obese] and all our luggage for a 3,000 mile road-trip to attend a wedding. No problems.

I am a farmer, by myself I routinely carry 20 bags of feed grains [50pound each] in the back.
Now I am kind of interested, if it can run in electric mode most of the time even at highway speeds, I think it is worth another look. It is probably the most affordable one out there.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Now I am kind of interested, if it can run in electric mode most of the time even at highway speeds, I think it is worth another look. It is probably the most affordable one out there.
I do not have any problem getting right up to 80mph to merge in with traffic, and going the 20 miles the battery provides us.

If you are gentle you can push it out further. My wife drives more on back roads at 45mph, she gets better mileage than I get.

This Prime has a charging mode, where the engine will recharge the battery. It seems that roughly 30 miles of driving will charge the battery up enough to drive 15 miles. Which would mean that for every 45 miles you drove, cross-country, you could do 15 of that on battery. I am not sure yet if there is really a benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living