Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2016, 12:42 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,051,170 times

Advertisements

On scuba camping trips, I'm often the cook because it's a pleasure of mine.

As with most trips, it's paper plates & cups and plastic utensils.

I would love to be more re-usable with such things, such as cups. I've looked at Academy, REI, & Campmor and found iffy answers with trade offs here and there.

Thoughts of other merchants? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 08:04 AM

752 posts, read 843,858 times
What is wrong with using paper plates and plastic utensils? Once you done with them, toss them in the fire. I do the same thing with all my paper and plastic at home. That is why man created burn barrels......

Old 12-14-2016, 09:59 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,995,715 times
Plastic utensils (and cups) can be washed and reused until they break. IF you buy good ones to begin with!
IMO, the major benefit from using plastic is that you don't have to worry about losing it or breaking it.
Paper plates go in the campfire, as previously stated.

If you are really against using plastic and paper, canvas the thrift stores and buy cheap stainless steel flatware and Melamine dishes. You might even find some old military style mess trays. They are GREAT for camping, as they are practically indestructible and easy to wash.

check the camp kitchen section at your local Cabela's. They have everything you need or could want.
Good luck.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:38 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,315,119 times
As mentioned, Paper plates are great fire starters . You could use reusable metal camping utensil kits readily available at outdoor stores to get away from the plastic. Everyone could use a reusable cup to get away from the plastic cups. Paper cups work good to throw in the fire if you go the disposable route.

I don't know what you cook off of, but if it's a propane camp stove with the little green one lb propane cylinders those can easily be refilled from a 20lb cylinder in approx 1 min using an inexpensive "schnozzle" like this one https://www.amazon.com/Shnozzle-SAFE.../dp/B00EV59S1W. Saving money and keeping the green cylinders out of the landfill.

You could also cook off of a mini rocket camp stove using dead twigs off the ground to make a hot quick fire and eliminate propane altogether.

I'm sure you know this, but the most important thing you can do isto practice "leave no trace" philosophies and try to use existing campsites whenever possible. Packing out everything you brought in and treading lightly.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:21 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,683,864 times
Really, you didn't think this product was good???

[url]https://www.rei.com/product/830776/gsi-outdoors-pinnacle-camper-cookset[/url]

I bought this years ago. We've used it for camping and I took it on a long road trip recently when I wanted to save money by cooking for ourselves.

This is really all our family of four needs. Pack it in, pack it out... leave no trace behind... get yourself a tiny bottle of biodegradable soap and you're good to go.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:01 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,761,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
On scuba camping trips, I'm often the cook because it's a pleasure of mine.

As with most trips, it's paper plates & cups and plastic utensils.

I would love to be more re-usable with such things, such as cups. I've looked at Academy, REI, & Campmor and found iffy answers with trade offs here and there.

Thoughts of other merchants? Suggestions?
We camp and hike a lot. Everyone in the family has a light my fire mess kit and pack up cup. They pack up snug and small.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:09 PM

61,906 posts, read 87,406,262 times
I love those:
X-Pot Is The Best New Line Of Outdoor Cooking Gear For Family Camping Trips
lightweight and collapsible. Green and reusable.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:24 PM

141 posts, read 105,340 times
Get metal dishes, bowls, and silverware and wash them? Even places like Walmart sells this kind of stuff for camping. I'm sure you could find stuff at a thrift store for cheap that you wouldn't have to worry about.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:45 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,051,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Really, you didn't think this product was good???

https://www.rei.com/product/830776/g...camper-cookset

I bought this years ago. We've used it for camping and I took it on a long road trip recently when I wanted to save money by cooking for ourselves.

This is really all our family of four needs. Pack it in, pack it out... leave no trace behind... get yourself a tiny bottle of biodegradable soap and you're good to go.
"Plastic" does look like the cheapest but the catch is that to heat the mug, it has to be filled from a pot and can't be sat on the fire grill.

As to the cookset, well, I'm looking at perhaps 20 people (but more recently 12ish) per sitting.

This gets into why I do it and how much of one's self should be put into it. Part of the reason why I do it is selling the industry. One doesn't just teach skills but is also creating memories of fun and joy to promote the industry. That is the way I was trained.

My organization does provide some infrastructure such as coolers, cooking grills, and .... the paper plates, cups, & utensils. So that is really not out of my wallet, but I'm more concerned with reusable vs disposable. As far as the food itself goes, I know how to buy cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
.........If you are really against using plastic and paper, canvas the thrift stores .........Good luck.
That is what I am currently thinking, like hitting every single REI garage and other sale I can. Do a slow build up of mix and match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
We camp and hike a lot. Everyone in the family has a light my fire mess kit and pack up cup. They pack up snug and small.
On one side, that could probably fit into the mix and match mentioned above. On the other side, trying to find the cheaper way to do it since it would be in my inventory and not that, necessarily, of this or that individual diver. Long story short, that goes back to what I said above, sell the industry. From my viewpoint, the more I supply that in this situations, the better.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 12-14-2016 at 10:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living