Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 07:45 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
No.

But unless you can come up with something with a few relevant facts involved, you can expect pushback. That is just how it works.
I don't have to have answers before I can question your suppositions. You can't tell me there are no holes in the theory of fossil fuel formation. Do you know what they are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 07:48 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
So how do we get all that methane on Titan? https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/cas...e-sea-on-titan
AFAIK, this still an open question.

On earth, large amounts of methane are usually the result of biological activity - off-earth, it may not be. Keep in mind that just about all chemical reactions are dependent on temperature and atmospheric pressure. So how things happen here on earth may not be how things happen on titan.

Here's a decent article on it - https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...on-mars-titan/

Old 03-30-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Looks like you are taking me literally but not seriously.
I have no way of knowing what you mean except by the words you post.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
They have already found it. Shale oil deposits extend from the Dakotas through Montana, Wyoming, Utah and eastern Colorado.
Ah, so there's no more. Every barrel of oil that was supposed to be found is already found. Reminds of the US Patent Office clerk.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I have no way of knowing what you mean except by the words you post.
I am not sure if you caught my drift.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I don't have to have answers before I can question your suppositions. You can't tell me there are no holes in the theory of fossil fuel formation. Do you know what they are?
And I'm not telling you there are no holes - i.e., that we now know everything there is to know about fossil fuel formation. In fact, as a general rule, I think humans don't know everything about anything. However, when we know something well enough to run a multi-trillion dollar world economy on it, I think it's safe to say that we know quite a lot about it.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:31 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,773,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewy View Post
Not really Larry. The methane in the rocks didnt come first. The oil did. Methane always disassociates under heat and pressure. It all probably started out as liquid or solid methane untill life came along. You know that we are carbon. Carbon is us and carbon is life. Most froms of carbon found on the planet today were living organisms of some sort and in the future will belong to another living organism.
The source of terrestrial carbon is an interesting problem in planetary formation. The early earth was a boiling cauldron of magma, way too hot for carbon and it is thought that any carbon was ejected from the planet. There is no known carbon in the core or the mantel of the earth, which makes up 99% of it mass. Carbon only exists in the outer crust. It is thought that the carbon on earth now is from meteor bombardment which for the first billion years or so of the earth's existence was common.

The carbon cycle that has been in existence for the last 2 billion years requires life. There was no methane or any hydrocarbon in the early earth - carbon has a higher affinity for oxygen than hydrogen and can only form hydrocarbons in an anaerobic environment or from certain kinds of cellular metabolism. Prior to life, the carbon cycle was essentially CO2 + water becoming carbonate minerals.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:58 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,948,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
So how do we get all that methane on Titan? https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/cas...e-sea-on-titan
Oil on earth consists of a mixture of long-chain and complex organic compounds; the ethane and methane on Titan are the simplest hydrocarbons possible. You find them in interstellar space, and the outer gas planets have small amounts in their atmospheres. Why is there so much on Titan? Who knows -- maybe it's Titan critters producing it (that has been suggested - life that uses methane as a solvent at -300F rather than water). Something's certainly renewing the supply of methane there.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:26 PM

630 posts, read 658,712 times
Quote:
I don't have a theory so that's why I am asking. I also don't think that the doubters have the burden of disproving the fossil fuel theory. When did it take up the perch in the first place to be knocked down? All I have read here are conjectures. Why can't we just say we don't know. Until someone actually creates oil from fossils, it's just a theory. I know it takes time but the smart scientist should have a workaround if they want people to accept their theory. As to the finiteness of oil, of course nothing is technically infinite but what if new oil is being created as we speak? Why are we assuming that we are sucking up oil from a finite reservoir?

No offense, but I suggest that you get educated before posting nonsense about a process that has been extensively researched and documented with data collected from thousands of source rocks all around the world for decades.

AAPG Publications

Old 03-30-2017, 09:30 PM

630 posts, read 658,712 times
Quote:
Ah, so there's no more. Every barrel of oil that was supposed to be found is already found. Reminds of the US Patent Office clerk.
I have no idea what your point is?

exploration activities continue worldwide. new discoveries are documented every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living