Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 04:20 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,434 times

Advertisements

My bikes were made in USA. I had a CCM bike made in Ontario, which may be closer than the factories where my American bikes were made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 02:41 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
I also support my neighbor's garage sales. I suppose that's also buying local, if one stretches the definition.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:17 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
When visiting states for a possible retirement relocation, I went to a Farmers Market on the town square..........It was highly touted in the Chamber of Commerce brochure as " locally grown fruits and vegetables"

As I meandered around I struck up a conversation with a guy who had the largest stand and was doing the most business.

I found out most of his produce was from about 700 miles away.
Hardly a thing he was selling was from even that state.

He was what is known as a "jockey"..........( someone who buys and then re-sells )

A kick in the face to the actual local growers who were manning their small stands.

Some say that if it's bought within 100 miles it's still viewed as being local, I can't buy into that myself.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:57 PM

102 posts, read 101,489 times
I don't do it often enough! Olympia has a farmers market which is open all year. From April to October, it's only open Thursdays through Sundays. We don't go to Olympia that often though. They sell some locally grown fruits & veggies there.
I've also gotten very pretty and aromatic dried lavender from a nice older gentleman there.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:16 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
How many of you buy local or at least try too?

Some friend and myself had this conversation this morning because of where we live, people here to tend say they buy local but in all reality they are not. Most of no concept of what that even means. It's more of a trend around here to say that you support local

What does that mean exactly? Does it mean buying from your local store? Farmers market?We live about 30 mins from Asheville, NC which people here tend to buy local and support local business.

These days nothing really seems to be local, I'm not sure you can count your store down the street as local anymore. Nothing you buy is local it's all from some where else these days. We are in the process of having our own garden for veggies and some fruits.

We have a local farm down the road that we buy our meats from as well. Buying REAL local foods/goods can be more expensive in the end but for us we feel that it's worth it. I will admit there are some things you can't buy that are not local, and it can't be helped.

I find it all a bit silly, the local stuff I've seen was crappy, onions covered in muck, stunted peppers, not worth buying.

I suspect this started to emulate the Isle de France system, Paris is an Island in a sea of surrounding farms.
Cute idea and I hope it helps the farmers. But it strikes me as a mkting strategy.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:19 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,129,553 times
You know what I wish is that all the externalities associated with moving things across long distances would be baked into the price of a good so I wouldn't have to consider environmental impact along with the price, I'd just have to consider the price of something.

When it comes to local produce, I believe a lot of the benefits of freshness wear off in a matter of hours from when the produce is picked from the vine, so even though local produce is indeed fresher, it's not fresh enough to get the full benefit of going into your own garden, picking produce off the plant, and eating it.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:38 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Some say that if it's bought within 100 miles it's still viewed as being local, I can't buy into that myself.
Oh wait...you live in North Carolina.

Out west.....100 miles is not just local. It is part of the neighborhood.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:02 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,430,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I find it all a bit silly, the local stuff I've seen was crappy, onions covered in muck, stunted peppers, not worth buying.
Onions covered in muck? That would be the dirt in which they grew... Many don't wash the produce before selling it at a vegetable stand or farmer's market. Why? Because they last longer when still protected by that dirt. It's one reason why gardeners can leave onions in the ground in cold weather.

Buy the ones that feel very firm. Wash them when you get home, and store away from potatoes and apples (each emit gasses that hasten the others' spoilage).

"Pretty" fruits and vegetables are not necessarily the best tasting or most nutritious. And dirt is just dirt. It washes off.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:56 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
I stopped at a local farmstand and found all the melons had those stickers with numbers on them like at the grocery store. That made me unsure if they really grew them.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:35 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,430,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I stopped at a local farmstand and found all the melons had those stickers with numbers on them like at the grocery store. That made me unsure if they really grew them.
At one of the farmers' markets near us, we watched a couple unload produce that had literally just been purchased at the local grocery (folks recognized the stickers). When confronted, they got all defensive and uppity, then finally admitted they hadn't grown a thing. Got banned from the market.

Out at a farmstand, it might be more difficult to ascertain the produce source, but ask anyway. They just might surprise you by pulling out a sticker roll. Or not. But then you can decide if you think the produce is worth the price charged.

Your money, your control, your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living