Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 03:32 PM

672 posts, read 810,632 times

Advertisements

OK, I read the sticky about discussing global warming so let us all play nice.

I'm for green living. Love to talk about it. I raise my own food more than half the time. I'm pro self-sufficiency. Pro alternative forms of energy. Yet (Gasp), I'm more of a conservative on many topics. I'm also against a lot of regulations on private property.

Without getting into a debate about if global warming, aka "Climate change" is happening or natural cycle vs man-made, Why is global warming a bad thing for those that like green living.

Sure oceans may rise a bit but that only effects man-made structures. Wouldn't the planet be greener with global warming? Seems much more life flourishes with more CO2.

So wouldn't those who want less c02 favor a colder, less green environment? I think that equals less land live?

Constantly here that people are destroying the environment, were destroying the earth and are no good. There should be less of us and we should return most of the planet back to original state pre industrial revolution from some environmentalist.

Sooooo, If you are against global warming aren't you against green living? Would it not be better for many land species?

We can all agree that the planet constantly changes regardless of cause. It seems to me that people are actually just trying to keep the status qua.

So actually, those that argue for the status qua are against the natural environment of the earth.

Animals will migrate where they need to including people. Green living = Come On global Warming! More plants more carbon dioxide taken in more oxygen put out.

That's just my uneducated thoughts.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:56 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times
You bring up an interesting point, if we look back on the last interglacial warming period, the Eemian, we find that there were far more plants and trees in the northern hemisphere than we find today. Trees grew as far north as Baffin Island, Canada. The northern hemisphere was about 5 degress C warmer than it is today, this allowed for a vary diverse wildlife spread out over a greater area.

So, is climate change such a bad thing, well, it maybe if your living in Florida or among other low laying coastal lands. It may be a bad thing if you depend on freezing weather to survive, there will be ice left on the planet, it will just be around the poles.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:57 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times
Thanks for sharing your uneducated thoughts.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Thanks for sharing your uneducated thoughts.
That almost seems like a slam. Good thing I'm so unintelligent that I probably wouldn't catch it.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:40 PM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
That's the whole point. It doesn't take education to look out your window on a regular basis, observe and do some deductive reasoning.

The UN admitted in their first manifesto on the climate two decades ago that they were only interested in using the issue to redistribute wealth.

It's been 19 yrs now that the only warming visible is within the margin of observational error and even that small amount required the systematic, bureaucratic adjustments to the data to achieve.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:16 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times
Pay no attention to year long fires out west, Category 4 & 5 hurricanes in the oceans, extreme droughts, melting glaciers in Greenland, etc. It's just a little warmer.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:48 AM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
Pay no attention to year long fires out west, Category 4 & 5 hurricanes in the oceans, extreme droughts, melting glaciers in Greenland, etc. It's just a little warmer.
All myths (except the melting glaciers in Greenland, but that's due to geothermal heat sources).

Fires out west are due to "green" fed conservation policies.

Fewer hurricanes and specifically fewer Cat 4 & 5 hurricanes over past 30 yrs.

Droughts and floods are not more prevalent.

A "fer instance:" https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/09/...-and-fictions/

Try searching the topics you mention. Copious sources to confirm my statements. Yours are repeated only in the popular press.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Couple of questions. Have any glaciers expanded in the short term or have they all just shrank?

Have the global ocean levels risen are fallen in the last couple of reporting cycles?

Why do we have long fires out west?

Didn't we just go through a very long amount a time without any hurricane activity?

Old 09-22-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
BBC - Earth - Why we should let raging wildfires burn

Interesting article

But hey if we allowed better harvesting maybe we wouldn't have to worry as much and the wildfires would reduce. Instead of just letting it burn.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:41 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
All myths (except the melting glaciers in Greenland, but that's due to geothermal heat sources).

Fires out west are due to "green" fed conservation policies.

Fewer hurricanes and specifically fewer Cat 4 & 5 hurricanes over past 30 yrs.

Droughts and floods are not more prevalent.

A "fer instance:" https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/09/...-and-fictions/

Try searching the topics you mention. Copious sources to confirm my statements. Yours are repeated only in the popular press.
The link you presented is very interesting, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living