Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2019, 08:56 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

Just saw a program with a segment on windows that act as solar panels. For a home, this would be a waste. However, for large commercial buildings this could be an option towards solar power to augment city utilities. What I don’t know is the cost of purchase and instillation versus energy savings. I work at a large local hospital and would like to put together an initial proposal to my bosses for such a project. Because of the nature of the project it would have to be a major capital improvement budget project which could result in the closing of several patient wings at a time while the instillation is being performed as well as master electrician installation of a controller that would either separate from city utilities should the city have a power outage or not be connected to the city at all or see the city power loss and disconnect from the hospital to avoid the power surge from the emergency generators. Such planning would require major planning beyond my knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 02:53 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
It's beyond your current knowledge. No pun intended!

It will require a team effort. Gather your team and start the research . From building schematics to past use of energy. Then go to your manufacturer and have them do a cost assessment.

Our local hospital revamped to solar and did so in increment stages. No where did it reflect in pass thru savings to departments or the patients who fund the facility. So the upfront cost will always be a contention to the board or investors. The reality is, they want to see returns rather quickly.

I appreciate that you see potential in this energy source. I sense though putting this into actual execution is beyond your scope.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:57 PM

264 posts, read 200,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
..... the instillation is being performed as well as master electrician installation of a controller that would either separate from city utilities should the city have a power outage or not be connected to the city at allor see the city power loss and disconnect from the hospital to avoid the power surge from the emergency generators. Such planning would require major planning beyond my knowledge.

Indeed.....

"Not connected to the city at all".....That would be a major 'off grid' installation. Problem with that is even the size of a hospital can't compete on price with grid power. The hospital would have to install a HUGE battery bank to carry the load during non solar periods....clouds, night.......and still have to have that back up generator. Not the least bit practical.....just as it isn't currently for anyone to go off grid IF they have grid available. Very hard to compete with grid pricing because of their huge generating capacity.

The hospital COULD reduce their electric costs by installing solar in whatever form, (roof top, panels in the yard or covering parking, or those windows) and simply use the power in house in lieu of buying, and back feed excess production to the grid for credit.

BTW, that 'surge' from the emergency generator isn't really a surge. When grid power drops, the lights go out. The automatic transfer switch on the generator system takes a few seconds before the generators kick in, mainly to see if the grid outage was just a 'blip', then they fire up. The lights come back on.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:05 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
It's beyond your current knowledge. No pun intended!

It will require a team effort. Gather your team and start the research . From building schematics to past use of energy. Then go to your manufacturer and have them do a cost assessment.

Our local hospital revamped to solar and did so in increment stages. No where did it reflect in pass thru savings to departments or the patients who fund the facility. So the upfront cost will always be a contention to the board or investors. The reality is, they want to see returns rather quickly.

I appreciate that you see potential in this energy source. I sense though putting this into actual execution is beyond your scope.
I’m just the boiler plant operator. Been here for 20 years. We work with the boilers, HVAC, generators, medical gas, water treatment, elevators, and are first responders for non-medical nor security related emergencies (fire, flooding, or elevator entrapment for example). Thanks to renovations all sides of the hospital are glass. The other concern is strength of the glass. This hospital is in south Louisiana and we sometimes get hurricanes. When I said it wouldn’t be connected to the city grid, I wasn’t talking about the hospital itself. Should have left that out. What I meant was automatically disconnecting the solar power supply to prevent the solar power from going back to the city gridwhile the power is out.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:50 AM

264 posts, read 200,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
What I meant was automatically disconnecting the solar power supply to prevent the solar power from going back to the city gridwhile the power is out.

That is a given with any grid tied solar (or any site generated power of any kind)....the whole purpose of a transfer switch is to prevent back feeding to the grid, which NO utility will allow.

All grid tie inverters MUST meet UL 1741 standard which disconnects the inverter from the grid as soon as it quits sensing grid power to be utility approved for interconnection.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:41 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,235,559 times
I saw these solar windows and solar awnings in action about 3 years ago at the Solar Decathlon in Irvine, Ca. At the time, the builders said they were 80% less efficient than a typical solar panel which makes sense since the panels are opaque and the window/awning have about 30-80% transparency. If they are anything like solar panels, they are quickly improving and the costs are declining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living