Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 07:30 AM

1 posts, read 931 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone ever succeeded in changing a conservative's mind about the effects of climate change - be it in personal conversation or online? If so, would love to hear how that went down and which arguments did you find to be the most persuasive?

Old 09-29-2023, 07:51 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
You would do better by offering money savings tips that also happen to be environmentally friendly. Choosing a sedan over a truck or SUV is not only cheaper in initial cost, it is also more fuel efficient thus saving on gas money. Going with a compact sedan or a hybrid sedan may cost a little more but will increase fuel savings. Choosing energy star rated appliances will help to reduce home energy bill. Small changes to home can also decrease home energy bill.

Old 09-29-2023, 09:53 AM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
I am a conservative. Here's my view of what needs to happen.

a. Stop the hysterical ranting. It simply turns off 90% of conservatives from listening any further.
b. Don't try to force beliefs or claim that the government must force the non believers to do anything. Taking away individual freedoms is not going to get you anywhere.
c. Stop assuming that because you don't happen to do something/need something/want something, then everyone one else should do/want/need exactly the same thing. To use the example already given, a sedan doesn't meet my needs. But I bet I spend less on gas each year than many small car drivers. I don't waste gas or time on extra unneeded driving, but will drive what I need when I need it.
d. Stop trying to force electric cars on everyone. They're expensive, have hidden environmental costs, and don't meet most people's needs. Most conservatives aren't against electric cars as a concept. But the current technology doesn't meet our needs. If one comes out that meets my needs and is affordable, it will be in the list. Until then however, stop trying to shove it down our throats.
e. Define the specific problem(s) and then talk in practical, workable solutions. The over-the-top rhetoric shuts down conversation.
f. Use real facts and real data. Please don't quote talking points and sound bites. Don't use terms like "trust the science." The issue isn't trusting science, but trusting politicians that abuse science for their political goals. BTW, for the record, I am a scientist. Spent my life working as a scientist for the Federal Government. So please don't try to use magical terms about how 90% of scientists, etc. I know how both science and government work.
g. Stop treating conservatives like idiots. Talking down to conservatives will shut down the conversation before it starts.
h. Be rational, reasonable, realistic, and willing to listen.

I used to work with a guy who was a very nice person and was a good friend, but who was a liberal. We had many lunch conversations on these topics and his view eventually always came around to some version of "this is how I live and everyone else should live the same way and if they don't then the government will have to force them." That attitude won't win any arguments.

Old 09-29-2023, 10:22 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
Presidential historian Jon Meacham once said "facts never changed anyone's mind".

I never attempt to change anyone's mind on anything as people are dug in on their beliefs and will become defensive if you attempt to challenge them, or even get them to give the basis for those beliefs.

Old 09-29-2023, 12:44 PM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyOverlord View Post
Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone ever succeeded in changing a conservative's mind about the effects of climate change - be it in personal conversation or online?
You might first want to try to change the minds of rich liberals that live in huge mansions and fly in private jets to give up their lifestyle.

If you can do that, then conservatives might be more willing to listen to what you have to say.

Old 09-29-2023, 02:24 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

b. Don't try to force beliefs or claim that the government must force the non believers to do anything. Taking away individual freedoms is not going to get you anywhere.

c. Stop assuming that because you don't happen to do something/need something/want something, then everyone one else should do/want/need exactly the same thing.

f. Use real facts and real data. Please don't quote talking points and sound bites. Don't use terms like "trust the science." The issue isn't trusting science, but trusting politicians that abuse science for their political goals. BTW, for the record, I am a scientist. Spent my life working as a scientist for the Federal Government. So please don't try to use magical terms about how 90% of scientists, etc. I know how both science and government work.
g. Stop treating conservatives like idiots. Talking down to conservatives will shut down the conversation before it starts.
I hate to tell you this but there are just as many conservatives who are guilty of the "views" you posted here. I hear it all the time!!!

Old 09-29-2023, 04:27 PM

487 posts, read 323,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

a. Stop the hysterical ranting. It simply turns off 90% of conservatives from listening any further.
c. Stop assuming that because you don't happen to do something/need something/want something, then everyone one else should do/want/need exactly the same thing. To use the example already given, a sedan doesn't meet my needs. But I bet I spend less on gas each year than many small car drivers. I don't waste gas or time on extra unneeded driving, but will drive what I need when I need it.
d. Stop trying to force electric cars on everyone. They're expensive, have hidden environmental costs, and don't meet most people's needs. Most conservatives aren't against electric cars as a concept. But the current technology doesn't meet our needs. If one comes out that meets my needs and is affordable, it will be in the list. Until then however, stop trying to shove it down our throats.
e. Define the specific problem(s) and then talk in practical, workable solutions. The over-the-top rhetoric shuts down conversation.

I used to work with a guy who was a very nice person and was a good friend, but who was a liberal. We had many lunch conversations on these topics and his view eventually always came around to some version of "this is how I live and everyone else should live the same way and if they don't then the government will have to force them." That attitude won't win any arguments.
If you're a conservative and a scientist, then I'd like to get your view on global warming.

Old 09-29-2023, 04:29 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone ever succeeded in changing a conservative's mind about the effects of climate change - be it in personal conversation or online? If so, would love to hear how that went down and which arguments did you find to be the most persuasive?
The reason conservatives don't believe in climate change is many of them have a science background.

Look even the liberals do NOT believe in climate change.

20% reduction in transportation CO2 emissions OVERNIGHT by adopting 55/45/25. I believe every Democrat Governor has the authority to do that TODAY. None has chosen to do it. Europe is doing it, we are not even talking about it.

Significant reduction now and in the future from banning private jets and restricting commercial air flights to 1000 miles or more. Europe has done, we are not even talking about it.

40% reduction in CO2 emissions in construction by replacing non-renewable cement construction with wood products for building less than six stories. Democrats are opposed to cutting trees, preferring to burn down our forests throwing HUGE amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere. Europe is starting to implement this, we are focused on continuing to burn down our forests.

Follow the science on climate change if you believe in it. BUT the Democrats don't believe in climate change.

They DO believe in using climate change as an excuse to impoverish the middle and working class folks in the United States.

Old 09-29-2023, 04:37 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
It isn't about "changing" anyone's mind about climate change. The argument starts with the approaches to it, the fact that the climate has constantly changed throughout the Earth's history and how much should be done.

The same question can be asked in reverse; has anyone ever succeeded in changing a liberal's mind about climate change?

Old 09-29-2023, 09:27 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snackmaster View Post
If you're a conservative and a scientist, then I'd like to get your view on global warming.
My view, and most of the folks I worked with, we have insufficient understanding to extract a signal from the noise regarding man-made climate change. That is, the climate is changing, but has changed often over the history of our planet naturally. That's not to say we shouldn't dig deeper into understanding; we need to proceed thoughtfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living