Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 06:08 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,933,539 times

Advertisements

I just got a letter from my homeowner's association stating that my community is going to be sprayed with insecticide for mosquitos Anyway, I do have the option of excluding my property although I'm not sure how much it will help me avoid whatever it is their spraying. Which brings me to my next question, what are they spraying? How can I find out? The only option I have is to put in call to our local Mosquito Control Section and they haven't returned my call yet. Anyone else dealing with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 06:34 PM

65 posts, read 241,884 times
Does it state what kind of spraying? Aerial, spray trucks or hand spraying? It makes a big difference as to whether it would still affect you if you decline to have your property done.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:34 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,933,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantoms View Post
Does it state what kind of spraying? Aerial, spray trucks or hand spraying? It makes a big difference as to whether it would still affect you if you decline to have your property done.
It appears to be a truck spraying and is to be used to control the adult mosquito population. The letter mentions ULV (ultra low volume) but doesn't state the insecticide being used.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
Probably Malition or something similar. Call the people doing the spraying and ask.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:50 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,211,653 times
Ask for a material safety data sheet (MSDS). They are required to provide one if you request it.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:28 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,347,398 times
Default Malathion - an organophosphate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I just got a letter from my homeowner's association stating that my community is going to be sprayed with insecticide for mosquitos Anyway, I do have the option of excluding my property although I'm not sure how much it will help me avoid whatever it is their spraying. Which brings me to my next question, what are they spraying? How can I find out? The only option I have is to put in call to our local Mosquito Control Section and they haven't returned my call yet. Anyone else dealing with this?
They are probably spraying ULV malathion which most communities use to control mosquitos which can carry the West Nile virus and other nasties. Malathion is an organophosphate that inhibits cholinesterase at the nerve endings allowing a buildup of acethylcholine at the nerve endings.

If the spray drift smells like a bad body odor, it's malathion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living