Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 04:54 PM

468 posts, read 1,886,789 times

Advertisements

Sort of like Buckeye, we use the plastic shopping bags. We don't get the choice of paper or plastic. We do have our own canvas bags for shopping.

We keep a pooper scooper with us when at the park. It gets scooped and the doggie doodoo is placed in the trash barrels at the park. Now is this not healthy? Most others who do pick it up will do so with the provided baggies at the park then place that in the barrels. We pooper scooper the back yard with the pooper scooper and a plastic shopping bag and that goes into the city garbage dumpster.

Good reason to have Pomeranians.

I could just toss it over the fence to my neighbor's yard. NOT!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 06:22 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,664,286 times
Use paper lunch size bags and throw them away, right away.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:25 AM

904 posts, read 2,873,336 times
An update....after seeing several people post that there were biodegradable baggies, I called several pet supply stores and found them! They are the same as the ones I have been using (before my son's chastising) except biodegradable. I have the container that attaches to the leash. Will go and purchase today. I also like the suggestions of some to reuse other bags. My paper actually comes in a biodegradable bag now. Learning and trying to do the right thing.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:58 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
Here is my issue...I walk the dog three times a day. She has to poo at least twice. Because we usually walk in the park, I bought the little baggies and was picking it up. My oldest son, who is the green police in my house, told me the bags were terrible for the landfill and that I should just leave it. But, I said, people will step in it....You see how the argument went.

So, I gave him a compromise. If she went along the roadside, I would leave it. If she went in the park, I would pick it up in the landfill filling bags. Now he wants me to pick it up, bring it home to the compost pile and re use the bag! Any ideas on what is best for the environment? Why don't they make biodegradable bags and end my misery?

What do the rest of you do with your dog's poo?

I have that problem whenever I take my pet bear for a walk in the woods...

The scoop is that pet waste in an urban setting is a potential vector for diseases, as well as being unsightly, often smelly, and an attractant to pests.
It doesn't belong in (vegetable) garden compost, but other than that it decomposes nicely over time.

BTW, your son is manipulating you. Give him a paper bag, tell him to pick up the poo, along with any other that he sees, and bring it home and flush it, or he doesn't get supper. A couple weeks of that and he'll mellow out.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:11 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

I have that problem whenever I take my pet bear for a walk in the woods....
So you are definately qualified to answer the ago old question....
Does a bear **** in the woods...?

Old 09-11-2008, 10:20 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
So you are definately qualified to answer the ago old question....
Does a bear **** in the woods...?
Yep. How do you think Pooh Bear got his name? I have yet to see one environmental radical rushing in to bag bear poo and carry it off, even though it can pollute streams and get on hiking trails, and all those other evils.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:17 AM

904 posts, read 2,873,336 times
Quote:

BTW, your son is manipulating you. Give him a paper bag, tell him to pick up the poo, along with any other that he sees, and bring it home and flush it, or he doesn't get supper. A couple weeks of that and he'll mellow out.
He is away at college. When he was home for the summer he did far more than his share of walking the dog. He is not trying to be manipulative, just trying to make the world a greener place.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:28 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Yep. How do you think Pooh Bear got his name? I have yet to see one environmental radical rushing in to bag bear poo and carry it off, even though it can pollute streams and get on hiking trails, and all those other evils.
Bear poop probably does biodegrade quickly though, they are mainly on a raw meat diet. When you feed dogs a raw meat diet, their poop biodegrades very rapidly.

Now for bear parasites and such...I don't know .

Old 09-11-2008, 02:28 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korel View Post

Good reason to have Pomeranians.
Truly!!

Old 09-11-2008, 06:57 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
You must pick it up, but the idea of it putrifying in a plastic bag is not right either. Whenever possible, I pick it up in some natural material..spanish moss, a bunch of leaves, etc, and put it in some woodsy area where it will not be stepped on and it will break down naturally.
Please don't leave it on the pavement...gross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living