Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 11:41 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,918 times

Advertisements

It may seem like a small thing, but they really do bother me. I haven't had a land line in almost a decade, why do the phone companies keep delivering their phone books to me? Not only do I get the Yellow Pages one, and the White Pages, but I also get their local competitor's books.

Sure I can toss them in the recycling, but is there some way I can get them to just stop littering up my front steps with these things two or three times a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 11:54 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,384 times
How they are distributed is no small thing. If they were subscription based I wouldn't have a problem with them but they aren't, they are advertiser driven. This means they ship to every address... that's 3 or more publications (different companies) a year for most people. That is a ton of wasted paper, not to mention the resources required to distribute them.

When I lived in a large apartment complex pallets of them would show up (literally) and sit by the mailboxes. Most of them would never get claimed. When they show up at my door I keep one yellow pages and toss everything else in the recycling bin.

Such a waste. I really don't even use the one yellow pages I keep but it is nice to have around in case I need to look up something local.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:55 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Such a waste. I really don't even use the one yellow pages I keep but it is nice to have around in case I need to look up something local.
I never use them, ever. That's what the internet is for.

I wish I could ship them back to the distributor marked "Delivery Rejected"

Old 02-03-2009, 12:08 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,303 times
Yes, they're an absolute paper resource drain. People still use them?

Old 02-03-2009, 12:22 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post

I'm pretty much 100% digital but the yellow pages are still handy for local look-ups on occasion. There are too many holes still in the local listings online in some areas.

Like I said though I almost never use it. I used one a couple times when I moved (empty house, new area and such) and I think I've looked up a local merchant that I couldn't find online once.

Most of them are going (or have gone) digital already but still send the books since they represent the lion's share of their income. The publishers are floundering though and I see them going away entirely, or at least the print portion of their business, in the next few years.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:28 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post

If you know where the local office is you can. Ours is about 3 miles from us. I know because I get the phone book on a CD from them and use it instead of the printed book. I can just take the phone book over there and drop it off. Let them handle the disposal.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:02 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Advertiser driven waste. Why am I not surprised?

Old 02-04-2009, 12:50 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,417,496 times
Outside my door yesterday was 3 new phone books. Two weeks ago there were 2 outside. At least they were delivered on my recycle pick up day so they went directly into the can, minus the plastic bag

What a waste of trees.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:52 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times
I haven't used a phone book in... forever. But I get 6 of them a year anyway... 3 different companies, white and yellow. I try to catch the people as they come deliver... now they just put them at the mailbox instead of on my driveway or doorstep. Not only is it a waste of paper... they always come in a plastic bag which leads to more non-biodegrable crap in the landfill, all the energy and water and chemicals from the printing process, all the fuel in transportion... waste waste waste!!

I have found one really awesome use for phone books though... building material! I built a decent sized shed with phone books just like strawbales, and made the roof out of all the plastic bags (I melted them together with an old iron to make a tarp-like sheet). Of course, the city planners didn't like it since it didn't meet code and I didn't get a permit... but at least I did my own form of non-violent protest in a constructive and creative way!

Old 02-10-2009, 12:26 PM

269 posts, read 784,055 times
I remember when my girlfriend worked with a local newpaper company in Kentucky. She said they would run sheet after sheet of paper through the printing press to warm up the ink. The sheets that first went through were faded since the machine hadn't warmed the ink yet. They threw these sheets of paper away, enough to fill up two to three bins behind the building every day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living