U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 03-29-2009, 08:40 AM
 
1,358 posts, read 1,135,558 times
Reputation: 478
Default Manís Contribution to Global Warming

humans cause only 3.4 percent of annual CO2 emissions.

Man‚Äôs Contribution to Global Warming Ľ The Foundry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2009, 03:54 PM
 
3,020 posts, read 16,301,091 times
Reputation: 2424
Default Great Bogus Debate........

It not important to detail exact what is happening to the climate. Something is happening and it ain't good. The best guess as I understand it is there has been something like 7 degrees increase in temps with particular drivers maybe being the cause. But that is also in conjunction with some changes that are causing a tendancy to cool the planet so overall, maybe we have seen about a 3 degree net warming effect in the last 80 years or so.

In a way it is not important as a seperate subject that must be addressed as they love to get very profound on.

The general subject is connected to two other major problems. Peak Oil and the need to find a different World energy source within the next couple of decades, namely probably going from a carbon based energy system to a hydrogen one.

If you manage to solve the energy problem in all its facets, you should have a great impact on any greenhouse gases and most of mankinds impact on climate. Provided the solutions occur before the polar region melt enough to release a lot of that stored methane which could be all she wrote. That is still the Doomsday scenario.

So we probably do not need to do lots of screaming and shouting in independent ways to address climate but need to get on with the real problem of a solution for what is going to happen once Peak Oil scenario really starts to kick in. Those solutions should also work to correct the negative effects on climate if you can get into a large scale conversion out of carbon fuels. With Peak Oil, we need the solutions be to started now and accelerate as the years pass. You are talking decades effort of maybe something like 30 - 50 years. The economy part of it should get paid off because a hydrogen based energy system will probably be far cheaper in the long run, that plus renewable sustainable alternatives. In effect the folks are saving there own lives by doing what is going to be necessary anyway.

All the rest of the Great Bogus debate usually centers around some sort of agenda, self interest or desire to form a massive bureaucracy. If we just do the right thing and have a real energy policy that is in our best interest then you also get the right moves toward solving Global Warming. The real shame being if we had spent the $5.35 Trillion dollars that has already been wasted this year on a sane energy development policy instead of the fool banks might have been well on the way toward a better future. That when you figure the next generation of nuke power which we will definitely need in the coming years has something like a few billion dollars research and development budget. Talk about getting the priorities right.

Would it not be lovely if the so called leaders could just see the problems as all being interconnected and have sane policies that protect the public good / planet and make common sense. Kill a bunch of birds with the same stone. It would appear to not be about having to spend huge amounts of money, but what are we going to get for it? The 50 Trillion or so they bat around to save "Banks and Restore the Economy" might have been enough to save the planet and make everybody extremely rich and happy way down the road. Murphy's Law at work in wild and wonderful ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,913 posts, read 4,940,356 times
Reputation: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
humans cause only 3.4 percent of annual CO2 emissions.

Man‚Äôs Contribution to Global Warming Ľ The Foundry
If that only produces a 3.4% increase in ocean depth the level will go up 420 feet. Small differences in big numbers make a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 08:28 PM
 
3,591 posts, read 4,723,031 times
Reputation: 3550
Speaking of the Great Bogus debate, what happened to the Global cooling theory that was so widespread during my childhood-early adulthood? (70s-80s)

And here some debates on whether the Earth is cooling or warming:

Ice In The Greenhouse: Earth May Be Cooling, Not Warming

Newsmax.com - Scientist: Earth Cooling, Not Warming (http://www.newsmax.com/headlines/global_warming_ice_age/2008/04/24/90591.html - broken link)

Is the Earth cooling? Experts respond
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 04:00 AM
 
1,358 posts, read 1,135,558 times
Reputation: 478
The following is taken from another post...

Earth Day, Then and Now: The planet's future has never looked better. Here's why. - <b style="color:black;background-color:#ffff66">Reason</b> Magazine (http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:dx_xnyoVP88J:www.reason.com/news/show/27702.html+reason+behind+earth+day&cd=1&hl=en&ct=c lnk&gl=us - broken link)

And don't worry the Sky isn't falling!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,913 posts, read 4,940,356 times
Reputation: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Speaking of the Great Bogus debate, what happened to the Global cooling theory that was so widespread during my childhood-early adulthood? (70s-80s)

And here some debates on whether the Earth is cooling or warming:

Ice In The Greenhouse: Earth May Be Cooling, Not Warming

Newsmax.com - Scientist: Earth Cooling, Not Warming (http://www.newsmax.com/headlines/global_warming_ice_age/2008/04/24/90591.html - broken link)

Is the Earth cooling? Experts respond
Nothing happened. In the 70s scientists confirmed that the Milankovitch cycles actually influences climate. Some wags predicted glaciation within a thousand years. We now know it's many more years away that that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 09:01 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 232,390 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
It not important to detail exact what is happening to the climate. Something is happening and it ain't good. The best guess as I understand it is there has been something like 7 degrees increase in temps with particular drivers maybe being the cause. But that is also in conjunction with some changes that are causing a tendancy to cool the planet so overall, maybe we have seen about a 3 degree net warming effect in the last 80 years or so.

In a way it is not important as a seperate subject that must be addressed as they love to get very profound on.

The general subject is connected to two other major problems. Peak Oil and the need to find a different World energy source within the next couple of decades, namely probably going from a carbon based energy system to a hydrogen one.

If you manage to solve the energy problem in all its facets, you should have a great impact on any greenhouse gases and most of mankinds impact on climate. Provided the solutions occur before the polar region melt enough to release a lot of that stored methane which could be all she wrote. That is still the Doomsday scenario.

So we probably do not need to do lots of screaming and shouting in independent ways to address climate but need to get on with the real problem of a solution for what is going to happen once Peak Oil scenario really starts to kick in. Those solutions should also work to correct the negative effects on climate if you can get into a large scale conversion out of carbon fuels. With Peak Oil, we need the solutions be to started now and accelerate as the years pass. You are talking decades effort of maybe something like 30 - 50 years. The economy part of it should get paid off because a hydrogen based energy system will probably be far cheaper in the long run, that plus renewable sustainable alternatives. In effect the folks are saving there own lives by doing what is going to be necessary anyway.

All the rest of the Great Bogus debate usually centers around some sort of agenda, self interest or desire to form a massive bureaucracy. If we just do the right thing and have a real energy policy that is in our best interest then you also get the right moves toward solving Global Warming. The real shame being if we had spent the $5.35 Trillion dollars that has already been wasted this year on a sane energy development policy instead of the fool banks might have been well on the way toward a better future. That when you figure the next generation of nuke power which we will definitely need in the coming years has something like a few billion dollars research and development budget. Talk about getting the priorities right.

Would it not be lovely if the so called leaders could just see the problems as all being interconnected and have sane policies that protect the public good / planet and make common sense. Kill a bunch of birds with the same stone. It would appear to not be about having to spend huge amounts of money, but what are we going to get for it? The 50 Trillion or so they bat around to save "Banks and Restore the Economy" might have been enough to save the planet and make everybody extremely rich and happy way down the road. Murphy's Law at work in wild and wonderful ways.
Man made global warming is the biggest hoax ever foisted on mankind. The whole purpose is to shake down capitalists, and separate them from their money.

What appalls me the most is how science can be bought and paid for. See, I used to be under the naive opinion that scientists were all above politics; that their sole interest is the truth. I think I started to become suspect when all these "scientists" declared the MMGW debate over. I've been around science long enough to know there is rarely concurrence about anything, and that there are SO MANY scientists who disagree about global warming. How could the debate be over? Hell, Al Gore won't debate anyone on the subject. Now, of course, I know the whole system is corrupt. Grants are issued to scientists, not on the basis of a real interest in research of a new idea, rather they go to "scientists" who uphold the PC consensus.

The criminal part is the government organizations making "official" pronouncements, as if they are the final authority. But they are corrupt as well. This is all one big massive fraud perpetrated by the left. Remember the ALAR scare? How the EPA declared apples unsafe. They were yanked from stores and from schools. Mothers stopped giving their kids apple juice. The end result? Oops. No foundation there. Let's change the subject.

Then there is the RADON in homes danger. Not a single shred of evidence has ever linked radon in the home with a cancer case. Yet the EPA sounded the alarm, and up sprang a whole cottage industry. Radon Mitigation. This one rivals global warming as on the biggest hoaxes people have to pay for.

But back to global warming. What I like is the way no matter what happens, it is caused by global warming. Lots of hurricanes? Global warming. Few hurricane?s Global Warming. A hot spell - certainly GW. A cold snap? Well that's what makes global warming so dangerous. Cold weather simply means global warming is unpredictable and concern is even more warranted.

I think everyone has poltergeists in their attics. I think billions of dollars should be spent mitigating them because "why would you take a chance"? How silly, you say. There is no evidence of any poltergiests. I say the same about alar poisoning, radon in basements reaching a harmful level, and the biggest of all, manmade global warming.

Last edited by Eeeee22895; 03-30-2009 at 09:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2009, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Harrisonville
1,832 posts, read 1,410,482 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Speaking of the Great Bogus debate, what happened to the Global cooling theory that was so widespread during my childhood-early adulthood? (70s-80s)

And here some debates on whether the Earth is cooling or warming:

Ice In The Greenhouse: Earth May Be Cooling, Not Warming

Newsmax.com - Scientist: Earth Cooling, Not Warming (http://www.newsmax.com/headlines/global_warming_ice_age/2008/04/24/90591.html - broken link)

Is the Earth cooling? Experts respond

It never amounted to anything in the first place. It involved two or three relatively unknown scientists bucking the mainstream as the deniers buck it now (some are the same individuals). They made a few bucks. Huge errors were found in their math, making their theories good examples of what not to do in science. I was in my 30's and 40's during those years, so I can appreciate how the same discussions looked different to the youngsters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top