Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 05:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

Desalination requires a lot of energy and that energy, if obtained by burning fossil fuels is expensive. I would suggest using solar energy to heat salt water in shallow ponds covered with plastic sheeting. Over the salt water would be condensing coils cooled by ground water which would condense the pure water vapor inside these plastic tents. Primary source of energy would be solar.

Now this is an idea I just had. There are many, many engineering and location details to be worked out but I hope somebody gives it a try. You heard it here. If anyone, with enough money to pay me well, wants to work with me on this idea please PM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 06:47 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I know this is a 2-month old thread...but I felt compelled to comment when I saw....

Am I reading this right? Is someone suggesting that a shower a day is "not necessary"? That because I work in an office behind a desk, I somehow do not need to shower daily?
I would hope that you do if your desk is within 10 feet of me...LOL

Old 09-02-2009, 07:08 AM

3,780 posts, read 5,325,949 times
Does anyone else remember that experiment that a Saudi prince paid for years ago? He paid a company to use tugboats and haul an Antarctic iceberg to the Middle East where it was still mostly intact, for use as a freshwater supply. Probably was cheaper than desalination.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:22 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,397,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Does anyone else remember that experiment that a Saudi prince paid for years ago? He paid a company to use tugboats and haul an Antarctic iceberg to the Middle East where it was still mostly intact, for use as a freshwater supply. Probably was cheaper than desalination.
Wow

Could Global Warming actually be a middle eastern plot ???

Actually I do remember hearing something about that. I also remember Argentina interested in a similiar venture some time ago.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:44 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,517,746 times
Teak, your ideas are sound, just one sided. You forget that crops also give off water too, so while they do soak up water to grow, they also give it off. I think an acre of corn gives up over 1000 gallons of water per day. Its probably why the west is dry and the east is wet and gaining water. It simply lands here.

If the crops simply were no longer grown, you would get soil erosion from wind and the water you do get, so its not as simple as it sounds. You only need to look back at the black blizzards of the dust bowl days to confirm this.

I am still with Omaha Rocks on this one. More land is in lawns in the USA then in agricultural ground, and more fertilizer and water goes into raising grass for suburbanites to walk on (or just look at) then grows our own food. That is sad. Once again its blame agriculture, stuff faces full of food and not take responsibility for society views on something that is not needed. (lawns)

Old 09-03-2009, 04:54 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
Sounds like desalinization of the plentiful ocean waters surrounding CA border is the way to go. Diversion of the Colorado River and other natural waterways for the sake of greening up a naturally arid southwest has damaged many other environments beyond CA.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:11 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Fortunately I live in an area that has no water issues, they built dams here in the "mountains" at the turn of the century when coal mining really took off. These are easily replenished, if we get a couple of dry months in the summer they might start a ban on watering lawns but you only need a few good days of rain and they will be overflowing again. The area serviced by these dams is saturated so it won't be an issue in the future either.

If you build a house elsewhere you can sink a well anywhere and get water, it burbles out of the ground in some areas there is so much of it. If you look on Google maps there is literally thousands of little lakes, ponds, smaller waterways and a lot of major ones such as the Susquehanna which flows about 1/2 a block from my house.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:33 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
If people in the arid SW part of the United States would simply stop watering lawns and golf courses, this problem would basically be solved.

If it isn't green naturally, it shouldn't be green artificially.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:54 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
If people in the arid SW part of the United States would simply stop watering lawns and golf courses, this problem would basically be solved.

If it isn't green naturally, it shouldn't be green artificially.
gotta be carefull with that last sentence or city people who live in the SW will throw that back on farmers who irrigate.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:25 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
gotta be carefull with that last sentence or city people who live in the SW will throw that back on farmers who irrigate.
Sure enough.

But there's a big difference between "watering your huge lawn" in order to grow food, and watering your lawn simply for looks.

We need to eat to live. We don't need green lawns to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living