Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 10:24 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times

Advertisements

Have you tried natural beeswax candles? If it hasn't been way too heavily refined/processed, beeswax has a bit of honey still in it and smells nice while burning...beeswax candles, with proper size wicks, are also the cleanest burning candle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Her

298 posts, read 868,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Spritzing fresheners are used in public restrooms. That said, finding a safe "air freshener" of any type is exactly the same as finding a safe cigarette. All of them infuse chemicals, smoke, or pollutants into the air. When my sensitivities to them are high, I can't even walk down a grocery aisle where they are on display. When Whole Foods (of all places) started using scented sprays and incense at one of their stores, I had to stop shopping there.

The only way to have clean air is to CLEAN the air, not add perfumes and other cr-p into it. A properly functioning air filter with an activated carbon component is about as good as it gets without resorting to water washes and such.

I cant even sit next to someone that has used a powerful laundry soap on their clothes. I have nasal polyps and man if every chemical doesnt drive me up a wall. OP, why the need for scents? Is there an odor that needs covering up? I cant see why just keeping the area ventilated wouldnt work. Or you can try oil rings. They make adobe rings that slip over light bulbs. You put some scented oil on them and when you turn on the light, it releases the aroma. Might check into that.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:07 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I can't stand polluting the air in my house with chemicals from air fresheners or smoke from incense.

The best way I have found to keep the air in the house fresh is to open the windows.

Of course this assumes that the air outside is clean and fresh.
If it's not, you're living in the wrong place.
Helllooooo allergies! Clean air is nice. If the outside environment is sterile..... My wife has three medications she takes during certain times of the year and she still suffers. Living without them for her is Hell.

Orange peel, apple rind, almost any fruit, and some vegetables.

Eat the insides and crush the outsides. Place them in a convenient place (or, as I do, next to the furnace filter so the aroma goes through the entire house - our furnace fan runs 24/7 to keep the house cool). Same with flowers.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:06 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,886 times
I agree, tek_freek. I was going to suggest orange peels and cinnamon sticks in strategic places. Fresh fragrant flowers beat all. Commercial air fresheners and candles all contain petroleum products that smell like "orange" or " cinnamon".

Old 07-04-2009, 01:16 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
My mom loves to buy a lot of smell good things for the home, the Air Wick thing that shoots out scents (we quickly discovered it made my headaches worse), the plugins, and incense sticks.

A lot of things similar to Glade plugins and such contain phlates. Does anyone know of anything that freshens the smell of your home and doesn't cause headaches or any other negative health effects?

I like incense sticks but a lot of times I wake up with a sore throat if I light one before I go to bed.
I'm not a big candle fan and the smell doesn't seem to last. I know some stores sell soy-based candles.

Bath & Body Works room sprays are almost as cheap as grocery store brands ($5.00 a can, but often on sale 3 for $5.00).
The can is tiny, but the scent is powerful and lasting; one or two squirts scents your entire home, or a large office, for several hours.
Plus you get to choose from all those great, unique B&BW fragrances.
I like the fall and holiday scents best of all, because they're usually so "food-y": sugar cookie, gingerbread, pumpkin spice, cinnamon roll, vanilla bean, etc.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:01 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Cotton balls soaked in essential oils . . . Some oils I like to use . . . Lavender, orange, bergamot, peppermint . . . Find essential oils that you enjoy smelling. Peppermint aids w/ soothing a headache. This is the most natural way to create good smells in your home.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:00 PM

22,844 posts, read 6,437,040 times
I have some soy candles which can scent somewhat without being lit, because it's summer. Mostly I like the reed diffusers, no worries about burning candles.
I'm not allergic to most room sprays, etc., but Oust just did not work for me, although Glade and Lysol don't bother me.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:40 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,903 times
Some people recommend dryer sheets to refresh a room....We use our A/C most of the time and change the filter every 45 days. No pets here just the two of us and my older brother at times. We do live in an area that has a 70 degree average temperature and our home is 4 years old. We also find that our Ion/Oxygen generator attached to our A/C unit does great.

Our home is fresh all days of the year. If we burn a candle it must be soy and only in the bathroom due to the wax that is expelled from the regular bees wax candles that accumulates on all walls and just everywhere......

Old 07-04-2009, 06:59 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
My mom is seriously allergic to air freshners. Gives her lumps on the back of the neck and bad migraines. She uses popcorn as an alternative when the air isn't blowing enough outside to clean the air. Growing up, we always had a box of stick matches to use in the bathroom. The charcoal from the matches takes care of any offensive odors.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,315 times
Look into clean air houseplants: draecena marginata, mother-in-law's tongue/snake plant, boston fern, english ivy, chrysanthemums, bamboo palms, and many other plants not only produce oxygen, they absorb odors and dangerous chemicals like benzene, formaldehyde, and toluene from the air. Plants are the main reason the outdoors smells so fresh, why not bring that power inside?

I moved into an apartment that had been party to a lot of curry dishes the previous year, and smelled strongly the first couple of weeks. A scrub down of the walls and cabinets and several houseplants later, the curry smell is only occasionally in the kitchen.
It may not smell like snickerdoodles, but it will smell good nonetheless.

For scent I have an essential oil diffuser to use while I'm home, it's nice for when I'm having company (or just want a pick me up!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living