Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 07:28 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times

Advertisements

There are two recent stories in the news of old falling tree branches killing one person and seriously injuring another. Here in the northeast I see a lot of old trees along sidewalks, roads, in parks etc., and it doesn't take all that much wind or snow to take down some fairly big branches. I've always wondered why local towns and cities don't take a more proactive approach to either pruning or cutting them down when they get old and brittle. If trees are no longer producing leaves they ought to be cut down so new ones can be planted. Just in my own back yard area I've seen several very big branches that have come down from different trees after storms. These trees are very old and there are a lot of children that play back there. While driving down winding roads that are lined with old creepy looking trees, I sometimes see downed branches that could easily do some serious damage to your vehicle and no doubt hurt or kill someone. Environmental restrictions on cutting down tree's over a certain diameter seems to have taken precedence over safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 07:55 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Where I live many of the towns consistently rank in the top for trees. Many old ones some of them hundreds of years old. A lot of them are quite healthy and well taken care of.

The trouble starts where if a tree is on the tree lawn you need permission to do anything to it. This is governed by the "Shade Tree Commission" Unfortunately many people simply forgo taking care of them especially if they want it gone. Add to that the people on this commission sometimes really have no clue. My brother was in the tree business and a really large and old tree was slightly uprooted during a wind storm, if it fell it was going on the guys house. The lady actually suggested he figure out a way to upright it instead of just cutting it down.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:04 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
People are nutty about trees.

I love a huge old tree as much as the next guy. Probably more.

But trees have a life-span. And old dead, or dying, trees can be a real hazard. I don't know how many huge old Maples I've seen go down in relatively minor storms. The trunks were massive, and everything looked good. But when they blew over - often on somebody's house - you could see that the entire trunk was rotten out on the inside.

You're MUCH better off pruning and cutting down old trees. But by all means, keep planting more.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:47 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
I love big trees, but often times people don't (or can't afford to) properly maintain them. And the power company often has to prune the trees in a very unnatural shape so they avoid power lines. Combine these two things and eventually you can wind up with some very unsafe trees. Not to mention, as OR stated, sometimes trees simply get so old that they fall/break on their own. I lost a HUGE tree in my back yard just a few weeks ago. Over the years, wind had knocked down most of the large branches, so that what was left was this massive, leaning tree with two gigantic branches that didn't look healthy. One night we had some strong breezes and half of the top broke off. Turns out much of it was rotten, so it would have fallen eventually regardless. I hated to lose it, but it happens. I intend to plant several smaller trees in its place this winter.

I do hate it when people have to cut down old trees for whatever reason, and then don't plant any new ones. I mean, it's their yard so they can do what they want, but trees make things so much nicer, IMO. I can't imagine having a yard without some trees.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:46 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
My property was left in neglect for many years. It had numerous mature trees - many wonderful, many potentially dangerous. It took us a few years (and a few narrow escapes with the trees that fell down in storms) to finally cut some down - mainly due to wanting to do it RIGHT so as to maximize shade (So. Texas with 40+ days over 100F) and having the funds to do that. Didn't want just a guy with a chainsaw. Things like a new roof and foundation took priority . Oh, and convincing my husband we needed to take them down, that took a few years too.....

Anyway, we finally cut some down, pruned a lot more, and it's loads better. But it IS very expensive to do on a regular basis. Not just anyone can tackle a 40 ft tree pruning project.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:59 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Cutting down and removing a large tree is very expensive. It cost me around $1400 to have one removed 2 years ago after tropical storm winds cracked the main trunk badly in 3 places, and it was threatening to damage my and my neighbors house. Most people don't do it unless they have to. I hated loosing that tree too, it provided the SW part of my house with some badly needed shade.

Also while it could potentially injure a person, it rarely happens, so its not a huge priority for municipalities.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:34 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I live in a hurrcane area with alot of trees.Poeple here mostly have their treee trimmed by profesionals but some have them trimed by those that aren't. It very cheaper here to have a treee removed becuase they have the equipemnt that can take it down roght next to a houses for about three hundred dollars in about tweo hours. Cleanup and disposal will fring it to about $500. To have them trimed so as not to kill them cost about 200 dollars. Beleiev me you can twll after a hurricane those that have not been trimmed right. pine trees are about the worse because they break easily.The elcetric company and the city trims all trees near the power lines and near streets yearly because of problem avoided in even tropical storms.I was in New England in 85 when a cat1 storm struck there and couldn't believe the damage caused by 75 per hour winds caused there. It really makes a difference. I have seen 400 year old Live Oaks in louisana that are properly cared for that survived hurricanes just fine.A downed or damage tree can be very expensive to remove as stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living