Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 09:56 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,554,082 times

Advertisements

Wondered if anyone had first hand experience,or knew someone that had used either of these?
They are supposed to work really well with underfloor heating, and are very energy efficient-ground more than air, but ground costs more to install.

Last edited by susan42; 08-08-2009 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 06:56 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,463,624 times
I see they have a 30% tax credit on geotermal heat pumps starting this year:

Geothermal Heating & Air Conditioning

Old 08-08-2009, 10:41 PM

23,622 posts, read 70,554,955 times
We use a (air source) heat pump. They work great if a house is properly insulated. If you have an old drafty barn the relatively cool output will seem insufficient. They really are common.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I see they have a 30% tax credit on geotermal heat pumps starting this year:

Geothermal Heating & Air Conditioning
Yep I had seen that-plus also heard about the new bill re houses eventually needing to be eco friendly and efficient.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
We use a (air source) heat pump. They work great if a house is properly insulated. If you have an old drafty barn the relatively cool output will seem insufficient. They really are common.
OK-what size is your home please.
Any more info re cost, maintainance,reliability etc would be appreciated?
DO you have AC or have you tried to design your house so not required ?(think this might be impossible in the south unless you go underground and have no solar gain from windows.
Our home has a lakeview and at the moment doesn't make the best of those-small windows all over the house apart from Hallway and living room but not on wall facing the lake.
Do you have back up heat-like WB stove? How do you heat your water- solar panels?
Just finding out about these alternatives at the moment.Our home is wooden-20 years old,probably needs upgraded insullation/windows etc,but we are hoping to make some major changes anyway and inc size from 1800- around2400sq ft.
At the moment we have LPG for heat and hot water (sep hot water heater so no water tank-on its way out so need to replace anyway.

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:12 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,969,661 times
Where i live they are fairly common ofr both heating and colling. They are the preferred method where there is no natural gas because cooling cost are cheaper and they are much cheaper than elctric forced ari heating. The only draw back i have seen is when the outside gets relly cold in the winter theyoften need a other heat source if your cold natured at all.But the overall savings is worth it. This is for a hot summers and mild winters location.I have a freind with the under ground piping i his and his keepsup fine in winter. He has to have the pipes flushed with some type of mild acid solution every few years but not certian how often.As afr as colling they cool as goo has forced air from what I have seen and cost less to run;which is why they are popular here really;especailly has sated when there is no gas heating avialable.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:43 AM

23,622 posts, read 70,554,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
OK-what size is your home please.
Any more info re cost, maintainance,reliability etc would be appreciated?
DO you have AC or have you tried to design your house so not required ?(think this might be impossible in the south unless you go underground and have no solar gain from windows.
Our home has a lakeview and at the moment doesn't make the best of those-small windows all over the house apart from Hallway and living room but not on wall facing the lake.
Do you have back up heat-like WB stove? How do you heat your water- solar panels?
Just finding out about these alternatives at the moment.Our home is wooden-20 years old,probably needs upgraded insullation/windows etc,but we are hoping to make some major changes anyway and inc size from 1800- around2400sq ft.
At the moment we have LPG for heat and hot water (sep hot water heater so no water tank-on its way out so need to replace anyway.

Thanks!
A heat pump is an AC. There is a valve that reverses the flow of the coolant. Our current house has a 4 ton unit. Our house in Florida was about 1800 ft2 with a 3 ton unit. Both units have been what I call very reliable. Lifespan is probably close to 15 years or more, with contactor replacement being about the most regular issue.

Prices vary, so that is something you'll need to explore with a local contractor or two. Every heat pump has some sort of backup, even if it is just electric resistance coils in the same airflow path. Sometimes gas is used as a backup. We also use wood, but that is a separate issue.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Where i live they are fairly common ofr both heating and colling. They are the preferred method where there is no natural gas because cooling cost are cheaper and they are much cheaper than elctric forced ari heating. The only draw back i have seen is when the outside gets relly cold in the winter theyoften need a other heat source if your cold natured at all.But the overall savings is worth it. This is for a hot summers and mild winters location.I have a freind with the under ground piping i his and his keepsup fine in winter. He has to have the pipes flushed with some type of mild acid solution every few years but not certian how often.As afr as colling they cool as goo has forced air from what I have seen and cost less to run;which is why they are popular here really;especailly has sated when there is no gas heating avialable.
Thanks that's really helpful.
I think I would need something else in the winter as a bit of a cold fish!
I think ground source is more exp to install but more efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living