Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:29 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times

Advertisements

Very interesting flick with excellent impact, but I think too many people are making life-altering decisions based on the data presented in this film.

It is very clear that this movie is not without heavy bias and it is most definitely pushing a sales agenda. Don't get me wrong, I may not eat another fast-food hamburger after the "hamburger filler" segment, but there is a lot of very deliberately misleading, Michael Moore-esque half-truths presented as fact, some bad-guys posing as good guys and some crazy people presented as sane.

Retain what is worthwhile, but don't swallow that movie hook, line & sinker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 11:07 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,067,439 times
Movies like this are based on the premise that any form of industrialization is bad for you. For instance, the segment on the meat-treating facility actually increased my confidence in the food supply. Of course it was delivered in a manner to make the layman say: "Oh no! Evil Chemicals!"

Then again, the segment on chicken feedlots was pretty horrible. As per usual, the truth lies somewhere between what the "evil corporates" and "enviro whack jobs" are screaming.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Movies like this are based on the premise that any form of industrialization is bad for you. For instance, the segment on the meat-treating facility actually increased my confidence in the food supply. Of course it was delivered in a manner to make the layman say: "Oh no! Evil Chemicals!"

Then again, the segment on chicken feedlots was pretty horrible. As per usual, the truth lies somewhere between what the "evil corporates" and "enviro whack jobs" are screaming.
We may have to disagree specifically on the meat-treating facility (I was thinking that my next burger would ONLY be ground venison that I had prepared), but I think you and I watched that movie through the same set of lenses.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:31 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,687,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
We may have to disagree specifically on the meat-treating facility (I was thinking that my next burger would ONLY be ground venison that I had prepared), but I think you and I watched that movie through the same set of lenses.
You make a good point.

But I was also thinking about what deer eat. Here in the Midwest, the majority of them roam through the countryside eating the same corn that is (supposedly/allegedly) shot full of chemicals. That being the case, wouldn't venison be just as problematic as beef?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You make a good point.

But I was also thinking about what deer eat. Here in the Midwest, the majority of them roam through the countryside eating the same corn that is (supposedly/allegedly) shot full of chemicals. That being the case, wouldn't venison be just as problematic as beef?
I've had the same thought. Corn is a large part of the diet of just about any deer harvested off of managed or otherwise sophisticated hunting lands and they don't seem to have much trouble with systemic infections and, further, they have been subject to several generations of artificial selection for larger bodies and more impressive antlers. As far as I know, no one is questioning the quality of wild game.

Corn or no corn, I can still account for the butchering practices, refrigeration and cleanliness of the instruments used for a deer I shot. I don't get that assurance at Burger King and, beneficial or not, I'm not crazy about the idea of a percentage of my burger coming from a meat washing facility.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I've had the same thought. Corn is a large part of the diet of just about any deer harvested off of managed or otherwise sophisticated hunting lands and they don't seem to have much trouble with systemic infections and, further, they have been subject to several generations of artificial selection for larger bodies and more impressive antlers. As far as I know, no one is questioning the quality of wild game.

Corn or no corn, I can still account for the butchering practices, refrigeration and cleanliness of the instruments used for a deer I shot. I don't get that assurance at Burger King and, beneficial or not, I'm not crazy about the idea of a percentage of my burger coming from a meat washing facility.
Yep.

Maybe the farmers of a couple generations ago weren't so dumb - butchering all their own meat right there on the farm.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:57 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Me and the boyfriend recently sat down and watched food inc. as well. Basically, it just solidified what we already knew about the meatpacking and farming industry (I've been involved for quite some time, so I've got first hand experience) but it DID make us go from 'sort of' not eating prepackaged food, to 'rarely if ever' eating pre-packaged food. Now, I make nearly everything from scratch, there is not a single food item in our house that has high fructose corn syrup in it, and we get the vast majority of our fruits and veggies from an organic food farm just down the road from us, and usually when they're in season. They do have hot houses there, so we are able to get tomatoes.

So, it was a pretty good movie all in all.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Me and the boyfriend recently sat down and watched food inc. as well. Basically, it just solidified what we already knew about the meatpacking and farming industry (I've been involved for quite some time, so I've got first hand experience) but it DID make us go from 'sort of' not eating prepackaged food, to 'rarely if ever' eating pre-packaged food. Now, I make nearly everything from scratch, there is not a single food item in our house that has high fructose corn syrup in it, and we get the vast majority of our fruits and veggies from an organic food farm just down the road from us, and usually when they're in season. They do have hot houses there, so we are able to get tomatoes.

So, it was a pretty good movie all in all.
And my guess is that if you make everything from scratch, you save quite a bit of money to boot.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:03 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
And my guess is that if you make everything from scratch, you save quite a bit of money to boot.
It's cut our food bill by about 1/3. Plus, we volunteer at the organic farm by pulling weeds, picking produce etc. (I get to exercise the horses as well ) and we get our weekly shipment cost cut in half. 3 hours a week is all it takes!

Old 01-19-2010, 06:53 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,742 times
I found the part about the soy industry really disturbing as well. Especially how farmers couldn't save their own seeds. I had no idea that an industry can have such a powerful monopoly in this day and age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living