Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 07:53 PM

28 posts, read 112,780 times

Advertisements

I'm using TWC Roadrunner lite, and they just increased my monthly fee to $30. I decided to look somewhere else, even if it costs me a little bit more, I would appreciate the extra speed. Does anybody have clearwire, windstream, or AT&T? How good is their service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 05:56 PM

15 posts, read 80,615 times
I've looked into all of these choices and more. Unfortunately, none of them are nearly as fast. The triad needs some internet competition.

As far as service, I don't know.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:37 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
If you live in High Point I recommend checking into DSL from Northstate. I pay $45 for 10mb (bit not byte) service which allows me to stream movies seamlessly + they provide a 4 port/wireless modem.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:29 AM

273 posts, read 950,264 times
I've got and will probably keep my top end TWC Roadrunner service due to the lack of reliability of others I've tried. If you're not looking to stream a lot of movies or if you're ok dealing with some pauses, Clearwire has Wimax which will be the fastest thing you'll find for cheap. I've got it at my office and while we're on the edge of the service there, I'm still getting 4-5mb dl speed and 1mb ul speed. At my home where I tried it out, and had full service, it was double or triple that. I think they're around $25-$30/mo, but make sure you don't sign up with a contract as it will kill you if don't get great service and cancel.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:49 AM

84 posts, read 216,914 times
This is one of the worst broadband markets out there. This is why TWC a couple years ago tried to implement broadband caps here. Howard Cable did nothing. Eric Massa of all people did. The people of the triad owe a debt to that man (even if he was a flake, to be generous)

Old 08-16-2010, 05:48 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Check out the Satellite TV companies, their internet is faster and more dependable, or, so says a friend of mine who got tired of roadrunner, it's prices and service.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:45 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Standard satellite has the issue of latency & is not faster than RR or DSL. Even the commercials for satellite internet attack only dial-up. But if you are interested on only "lite" internet service I digress.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:26 PM

273 posts, read 950,264 times
I didn't think that the sat tv companies actually offered sat internet. Usually it's just bundled with a local phone provider and you get dsl. Hughes was/is the only true sat provider I know of and last I checked their rates were crazy for what you get. Really just for the cabin in the middle of NOWHERE that cable/phonelines/cell towers don't reach.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,885 times
Default no thank you

Satellite internet is much slower and MUCH more expensive. The only people I know that have it cannot get cable or DSL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Check out the Satellite TV companies, their internet is faster and more dependable, or, so says a friend of mine who got tired of roadrunner, it's prices and service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point