Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,846 times

Advertisements

I am moving to W-S to attend Wake Forest Law. I'm not keen on living too close to the school, so Ardmore and the West End are where I am looking to rent. However, after visiting both, I'm not sure which neighborhood is the "better" one in regards to crime rate, activities, and traffic. I am in my mid-20s, an avid jogger and tennis player, and I enjoy an urban lifestyle. (I am a little frustrated with WS's lacking downtown life, but nevertheless, I'd like to be in a "happening" neighborhood.)

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 05:04 PM

201 posts, read 594,211 times
West End has a nice park where you can jog the tracks and there are tennis courts. Ardmore is more houses than apartments. I would say the crime is probably equal in both neighborhoods but you are right to choose not to live close to WFU because that area has changed for the worst over the years. As for traffic, I grew up in W/S so my hubby who is from PA and has lived in large cities such as Dallas and Atlanta tells me I have no idea what traffic is!!! So, traffic here is moderate. Oh forgot to mention you can probably get to WFU quicker from West End going up Reynolda Road, Ardmore has the hospital traffic.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:40 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
trese, just curious, what areas are you talking about that have "changed for the worse"? There are lots of very nice neighborhoods close to WFU, so I'm just wondering.

To the OP, you'll find there's generally not a whole lot of difference between Ardmore and West End, but WE is closer to downtown and there are more things within a reasonable walking distance (e.g., Burke St. area, Reynolda Rd. shops, Hanes Park, the Y, etc.).

Old 05-16-2011, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 6,846 times
Thanks! I did like West End's proximity to downtown and the few restaurants within the neighborhood. Traffic really isn't a concern for me since in the 3 visits I have made, the traffic was negligible compared to what I am used to. I would like to have restaurants and bars within walking distance, and West End seems to be more accessible. The difference for me is only difference in rent of $75/month between Ardmore and West End with Ardmore being the cheaper option...So I'm torn. :S

Old 05-18-2011, 01:06 PM

201 posts, read 594,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
trese, just curious, what areas are you talking about that have "changed for the worse"? There are lots of very nice neighborhoods close to WFU, so I'm just wondering.

).
I grew up in Ardmore and when I was younger the WFU area and the northern side of town overall was the more affluent, newer section of town. I now live in Davidson Co. and work in the University Pkwy. area and that area seems to be much less desirable than it was when I was a child. More crime, etc... I don't want to elaborate for fear of offending someone but I feel the OP is wise to choose to not live near campus.

But having said that, that is very close to Robin Hood and Country Club which is very desirable but pricey.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:53 PM

^ Okay, thanks for your reply. It is somewhat tricky around WFU--if you go north and/or east from campus, you can pretty quickly run into some questionable areas (realizing that it's all relative, of course--what's questionable to some may be just fine for others). But I wouldn't go as far as telling someone they shouldn't live near campus. One can definitely find safe, suitable housing close to campus. But since the OP wants to be in a "happening" neighborhood, they probably should be in either Ardmore or West End.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:22 PM

10 posts, read 19,054 times
Can you tell us how the washington park area compares to ardmore and west end? Also,what re the west salem area? We are visiting again tomorrow and want to look at the Ardmore apt complex as well as apts in the west end area. To trese,do you know anything about the Miller Park Circle condos and that general area?

Old 05-23-2011, 06:25 AM

^ Miller Park Condos are in a very safe area. Very walkable neighborhood, and an easy walk to Thruway Shopping Center and other Stratford Rd. area establishments. And of course you have Miller Park right across the street.

Regarding your question about Washington Park vs. Ardmore/West End:

I would say architecturally that Washington Park/West Salem and West End are similar (I lump West Salem and Washington Park together as they are located next to each other, and are very similar). These neighborhoods contain old, stately homes that were the best to be had in their day, with more modest houses mixed in. Some have been restored, some converted to multi-family units, and some are still in need of restoration. West End has a better location (just on the edge of downtown), and there are more things within walking distance. But this also makes it more expensive. Washington Park is also very walkable, but on its edges there are some less desirable areas. No problem if you just take the normal precautions and avoid these areas.

Ardmore is the largest neighborhood of the three, and contains a mix of all types of houses. Some large, some small, but most all of them are well-kept. Great for walking, and depending on where you are you can easily walk to shops, restaurants, parks, etc.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:38 PM

156 posts, read 335,722 times
Ardmore is becoming a little dingy. Shady characters. Nice homes though.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:00 AM

10 posts, read 19,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishing1 View Post
Ardmore is becoming a little dingy. Shady characters. Nice homes though.
Visited W-S again the other day. We looked at homes for sale in Ardmore, Washington Park and West End. Trying to find something less than 100K to buy as a temporary home for college student. Realized that there are still some good buys, but most of the homes at that price of course need work. A LOT of work. Amazing to me that some of them are offered up for sale, and have had nothing done to them to at least clean them up. I suppose they are looking for an investor to come in and flip the house. But considering how many homes are for sale in that area, I am just surprised at how dirty some of them are. Looked at a fairly nice apt for 100K, new paint, clean rugs, but dead bugs all over the place, a filthy refrigerator, and a deck covered with grime! Turned me off right away. Makes you wonder what else could be wrong with the place, things that you can't see right away.
So, the hunt continues. Now think that buying a property isn't worth it, and will probably just rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point