Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 12:07 AM

4 posts, read 11,647 times

Advertisements

hey, looking to move from hot and humid summers and warm winters in south florida. I am looking to move to greensboro nc. My wife and i are also looking for four seasons and good schools. I now have a three year old and one on the way. I was wondering if any body could tell me how the winters and summers are and the best schools in or near greensboro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 06:37 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Four seasons: Winters are mild compared to the north and cold compared to Florida. Spring is short. Summers are long, hot, and humid, but obviously not as bad as Florida. Fall is beautiful.

You can find school information at NC School Report Cards. Look for Guilford County.

If you know where you are going to work, look at schools and homes on that same side of town. If you need to look for work, take care of that before you move.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:27 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Four seasons: Winters are mild compared to the north and cold compared to Florida. Spring is short. Summers are long, hot, and humid, but obviously not as bad as Florida. Fall is beautiful.

You can find school information at NC School Report Cards. Look for Guilford County.

If you know where you are going to work, look at schools and homes on that same side of town. If you need to look for work, take care of that before you move.
Springs are short???? For me, the Springs are long in most of NC.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:44 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I guess it depends on what you think of as spring. Once the temperature starts hitting 80, it feels like summer to me. Maybe instead of "Spring is short," I should say, "Spring is hot."

Old 06-24-2011, 12:25 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,402 times
winters are mild but not like FL. summers are hot and humid... but not (quite) like FL...

we get some snow, but not a lot. any we get pretty much shuts us down.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:25 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I disagree--I always feel like just when I can start appreciating spring, either we go back to a cold snap or it trucks right into summer.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
mod note
thread relocated from North Carolina
forum

Old 06-29-2011, 11:46 AM

13 posts, read 29,588 times
Default Welcome to Greensboro!

Actually I think the Springs are long. I use to live in Florida on the Southwest coast just above Cape Coral and the three digit summer heat got to be brutal. I have lived all over the southeast in NC, SC, and FL. I have now settled for good here in Greensboro.

As for the schools here is the report card website for NC Schools: NC School Report Cards

Then of course the actual county school system site:
About GCS - District Entry

I will of course be biased since I am a Broker/realtor and my firm covers the Triad but I live here in Greensboro and love being between the mountains and the coast. If my wife and I feel the need for some cooler mountain air we head to Asheville for the weekend. Otherwise their are an abundance of lakes and the coast is just in the other direction.

Having lived in Charleston, SC and all over Fl I can say the summers are not as bad for sure.

Moderator cut: tos violation

Hope you are staying cool down there right now.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-29-2011 at 07:12 PM..

Old 07-09-2011, 12:59 PM

92 posts, read 297,596 times
it's been hot since the end of april...i agree that we've got 3 seasons as well! if not 2.5

Old 07-20-2011, 07:01 PM

8 posts, read 45,890 times
The last couple years the springs have one right into summer with trees and flowers budding out almost too early (global warming??). But since I'm from Wisconsin where winter is nearly 6 months long, I think the winters in Greensboro are a breeze. The summers, however, have been starting earlier and gotten much warmer with high humidity. This year and a couple previous years have seen us in near-drought or drought situations. My sister lives on the coast and they are in a drought. However, I agree with the other poster - Greensboro is so conveniently situated between the mountains (I prefer) and the coast. You can have the best of both worlds. It is also very close to the Virginia border which is nice too. Good luck!
foleyda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point