Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 10:59 PM

159 posts, read 259,572 times

Advertisements

I have looked at towns around falls lake, kerr/gasto, norman, wylie.
I prefer not to live a lake, but 30 min ride, which makes finding a retirement town easier. I do not want to have 10 miles of country roads to get to a highway.
I would like to be accessible to the train that goes east from Charlotte (or closest city), as my family is from NJ.
Some towns i have seen on the blogs are fuguay, Rolesville, wake forest, hickory, gastonia.
I do not want to live in a metropolitan area where people commute to work.
Any advice appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 04:18 AM

16,766 posts, read 8,243,522 times
Check out Salisbury (Rowan County). Train line runs through center of town. Amtrak stops, as well as trains between Charlotte and Raleigh. Second largest Lake in NC is High Rock Lake 15 min to Downtown from Tamarak Marina, good place to put boat in water. Their are communities that are 3 miles from interstate 85 that offer lake access (see exit 81 area). If not into comm.with HOA check Long Ferry Road, Stokes Ferry Rord and Bringle Ferry Roads. Look for unincorporated areas to keep Real Estate taxes lower. Frontier (GSO) is flying to Trenton-Mercer for easy trip to Central NJ

Last edited by Boss; 05-06-2014 at 04:20 AM.. Reason: add on

Old 05-11-2014, 12:22 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,967,608 times
Definately Lexington, Good bedroom community with a nice proximity to other cities, and High rock lake.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:50 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,055,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Check out Salisbury (Rowan County). Train line runs through center of town. Amtrak stops, as well as trains between Charlotte and Raleigh. Second largest Lake in NC is High Rock Lake 15 min to Downtown from Tamarak Marina, good place to put boat in water. Their are communities that are 3 miles from interstate 85 that offer lake access (see exit 81 area). If not into comm.with HOA check Long Ferry Road, Stokes Ferry Rord and Bringle Ferry Roads. Look for unincorporated areas to keep Real Estate taxes lower. Frontier (GSO) is flying to Trenton-Mercer for easy trip to Central NJ
I second Salisbury...it is a smaller city (33,000) near larger cities (Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Greensboro) that has a beautiful, nationally-recognized historic district. Check it out.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:30 AM

324 posts, read 388,908 times
You might look at Belews Lake, not too far from Winston Salem and a small town named Walnut Cove
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point