Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 02:53 PM

133 posts, read 280,652 times

Advertisements

We're really looking at the Winston-Salem and Greensboro areas for a relocation, and could use some advice from insiders.

We need a place where we can live a "natural" lifestyle...Organic foods are a priority, we like farmers markets, yoga, "crunchy parenting", you get the idea.

We have young children. We love Waldorf education, but I know there isn't a school in the area.

We need somewhere affordable, but super safe...Low crime is really important. We will be renting for the first year or so.

I think things are really more between Clemmons and Greensboro.

Is there a suburb of Greensboro we should look at, like Clemmons is to W-S?

Any thoughts?

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 12:36 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,960,599 times
check out oak Ridge.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:13 AM

144 posts, read 264,301 times
Why not Ardmore in WS? You're right next to both Whole Foods and Trader Joes

Old 07-31-2014, 08:32 AM

I guess I'm a little wary of the crime in WS, and was thinking it would be best to live outside the city?

Old 07-31-2014, 09:10 AM

Is there anything going on in Oak Ridge? Clemmons seems to have enough going on in and of itself.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:33 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times
@NC77 there aren't a lot of people who do not feel safe in either Greensboro or Winston Salem, I think a lot of folks look at statistics, but statistics do not tell everything. Crime is happening every where, granted yes it is less in some areas, never the less it is happening, but in most cases it is regional, and not happening all over the place. Any ways just my two cents, it's your decision on where you want to live but just saying living inside city limits is still safe, I know from living in Greensboro, and having many friends from Winston, and visiting frequently that neither I or they ever felt that safety was a concern.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:17 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Agreed, crime is not a problem in most areas of W-S, and there are many very safe neighborhoods including Ardmore. Clemmons is a nice area (I live here), but there are many other nice areas in the Triad so you shouldn't go on statistics alone.

Regarding the "natural" lifestyle you seek, I don't know of any areas in the Triad that would be havens for that particularly, but there are many people who subscribe to more natural living. That's not so much a function of where you live, but rather what you do. There are many opportunities for natural living no matter where you choose to live in the Triad--lots of farmer's markets, agricultural co-ops, special interest groups for things like yoga, natural health and nutrition, low environmental impact living, etc.

Good luck in your search!

Old 08-01-2014, 09:02 AM

Is Ardmore a neighborhood in WS? It keeps popping up as a recommendation. Thank you guys, this is so helpful.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:49 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC77 View Post
We're really looking at the Winston-Salem and Greensboro areas for a relocation, and could use some advice from insiders.

We need a place where we can live a "natural" lifestyle...Organic foods are a priority, we like farmers markets, yoga, "crunchy parenting", you get the idea.

We have young children. We love Waldorf education, but I know there isn't a school in the area.

We need somewhere affordable, but super safe...Low crime is really important. We will be renting for the first year or so.

I think things are really more between Clemmons and Greensboro.

Is there a suburb of Greensboro we should look at, like Clemmons is to W-S?

Any thoughts?

Thank you!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC77 View Post
Is Ardmore a neighborhood in WS? It keeps popping up as a recommendation. Thank you guys, this is so helpful.
Ardmore is a neighborhood in Winston Salem and it very much hits your criteria. If you have any familiarity with other places in North Carolina I find the neighborhood very closely resembles the Ninth Street neighborhood in Durham as well as Downtown Carrboro, both of which pretty closely mirror your criteria as well.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:06 AM

Ahhh ok. That's just what I'm looking for. I asked you a little more about it in another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point