Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2014, 10:59 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times

Advertisements

Potential job transfer notice ahead.....sigh....just did that 2 years ago! The Triad is at least a million times better than Atlanta and that is the option for a transfer. Ummm no thanks! Nice to visit....and that's it.

So we are discussing housing options. If this all plays out, we will rent a house while selling our current house. Then we're looking to build a house. We don't mind a development/neighborhood, but do NOT want an HOA. We'd like to be on at least half an acre of land....a full acre would be our preference.

Here's what we are looking into....

-Building a "custom" home with Paul Schumacher/Schumacher Homes. They have a couple of plans that we really like. Thoughts on them?

-Building a modular house. Any builders in the area?

-Building with a local tract builder. This is the least desired option I think. Not sure we want to live in Cookie Cuttervillle again. And we do not want an HOA.

We really like the area around Wallburg. So something within like 5-10 miles would be great. Cable or high speed internet is a must - not DSL. This is a job requirement so no negotiating on this.

We do have family in the Wallburg area and have been there many times during different times of the year. I can't even count how many times we've been there!

Any tips on which sites/builders to look into? Our budget is under $400K. The houses we're looking at with Schumacher start at $245, but that doesn't include land or a 3 car garage.....just 2 car. We're looking for at least 3,000 square feet, 4+ bedrooms, an office, a media/flex room, huge kitchen, large dining room, and a large great room/living room. We both work from home so we both need offices. My needs are much larger than hubby's since I run my business from home. Oh we also want a basement. I know they cost a small fortune, but we really want to have one. We enjoy having a place to store the holiday decorations and the husband's tool collection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 04:44 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Potential job transfer notice ahead.....sigh....just did that 2 years ago!

So we are discussing housing options.
If this all plays out, we will rent a house while...
Sounds like a plan. Expect to be there for year at least.

Use that time to make a few friends and for the reality of a place to settle in
before stirring it all up again or committing to larger/deeper obligations.

Also use that year to pick at that list of questions one at a time.
When that time does come to commit... look hard at the wide variety of existing homes.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:04 AM

459 posts, read 586,001 times
Might also look at you budget vs. specification ......

Old 11-14-2014, 09:21 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Land wise a place like Wallburg will give you the most for your buck, IMO. I have a friend who lives there and has cable for ISP.
As for home features it sounds like you will need to build unless you are flexible with some of your desires.
Other areas to check for building a home that large are: Oak Ridge, Summerfield, Trinity, Archdale, Kernersville, Clemmons, Stokesdale, and the entire county of Rockingham.
I listed rural cities because the tax base will be lower for your desired built home and you may have better success not building in a sub-division requiring a HOA.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:57 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,714 times
We live just outside of Wallburg (Meadowlands subdivision), though in a fairly large subdivision with an HOA. If you've been to the area, you probably are familiar with it. I love the area. We have cable for internet. I like being reasonably close to Winston-Salem (15-20 minutes), High Point (15-20 minutes) AND Greensboro (20-30 minutes). We also sometimes find ourselves in Thomasville (15 minutes). I like the lower taxes being in the County, but we still have good schools (brand new middle school, with a new high school scheduled to be built by fall 2017). I like that the style of the homes vary a fair amount.

Someone is developing a very small subdivision (maybe 10 homes or so?) off Motsinger Rd, close to Meadowlands. Don't know if buying a lot from the developer is possible, how large the lots will be (if I had to guess, around 1/2 acre) or how much it would cost. Meadowlands lots go for about $80k and are typically slightly under 1/2 acre; I would assume the new small development off Motsinger would be a bit less expensive than in Meadowlands. The new street is called "Wallburg Heights" or something with "Wallburg" in the name.

Lots in Indigo Ridge are asking $60k for 1 acre. But I haven't seen a home built there in the 3.5 years that we've lived in the area...don't know why. There are only 9 lots in that development. Don't know if they have an HOA. I'd be a bit concerned about building in a neighborhood under development that hasn't seen a new home built in years.

I also saw a 4 acre lot on Zillow that's located off Hwy 109, asking $55k. But I don't know if the homes on that street are of the caliber you would be building. It's not advisable to overbuild for the area if resale is a consideration.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:18 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Sounds like a plan. Expect to be there for year at least.

Use that time to make a few friends and for the reality of a place to settle in
before stirring it all up again or committing to larger/deeper obligations.

Also use that year to pick at that list of questions one at a time.
When that time does come to commit... look hard at the wide variety of existing homes.
The plan would be that this would be our last home. Unfortunately, one doesn't get a say in company buy outs nor job transfers often. We've dealt with both over the last 2 years.

I already have several friends and family in the WS area.

We want to know now if what we need to build would be doable. We're looking for builders. I've looked online, but so many don't build in WS, they build in Charlotte yet they come up on the searches. Quite annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
Might also look at you budget vs. specification ......
From what I have found, budget and needs are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Land wise a place like Wallburg will give you the most for your buck, IMO. I have a friend who lives there and has cable for ISP.
As for home features it sounds like you will need to build unless you are flexible with some of your desires.
Other areas to check for building a home that large are: Oak Ridge, Summerfield, Trinity, Archdale, Kernersville, Clemmons, Stokesdale, and the entire county of Rockingham.
I listed rural cities because the tax base will be lower for your desired built home and you may have better success not building in a sub-division requiring a HOA.
Thank you! Most of our needs are not negotiable. We both work from home so we both need home offices. I also own my own business so I need a room much larger than an office. We need a garage for each of our cars so that's not changing. The only thing we could give up is a basement, but then we'd need an attic and that isn't possible in a new house so basement it is.

The not wanting an HOA seems to be the toughest thing to find. We've had an HOA twice and one was the Nazi HOA board and the other one had so many problems that death threats were made, police were involved, the entire board quit 3 times in 2 months, and the HOA is now run by a realty company. Talk about a nightmare! No thanks.

Wallburg is definitely high on the list. The proximately to WS is wonderful! Close enough without being in the city. And Thomasville is close enough so a quick run to Food Lion or WalMart when you need only a few items is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
We live just outside of Wallburg (Meadowlands subdivision), though in a fairly large subdivision with an HOA. If you've been to the area, you probably are familiar with it. I love the area. We have cable for internet. I like being reasonably close to Winston-Salem (15-20 minutes), High Point (15-20 minutes) AND Greensboro (20-30 minutes). We also sometimes find ourselves in Thomasville (15 minutes). I like the lower taxes being in the County, but we still have good schools (brand new middle school, with a new high school scheduled to be built by fall 2017). I like that the style of the homes vary a fair amount.

Someone is developing a very small subdivision (maybe 10 homes or so?) off Motsinger Rd, close to Meadowlands. Don't know if buying a lot from the developer is possible, how large the lots will be (if I had to guess, around 1/2 acre) or how much it would cost. Meadowlands lots go for about $80k and are typically slightly under 1/2 acre; I would assume the new small development off Motsinger would be a bit less expensive than in Meadowlands. The new street is called "Wallburg Heights" or something with "Wallburg" in the name.

Lots in Indigo Ridge are asking $60k for 1 acre. But I haven't seen a home built there in the 3.5 years that we've lived in the area...don't know why. There are only 9 lots in that development. Don't know if they have an HOA. I'd be a bit concerned about building in a neighborhood under development that hasn't seen a new home built in years.

I also saw a 4 acre lot on Zillow that's located off Hwy 109, asking $55k. But I don't know if the homes on that street are of the caliber you would be building. It's not advisable to overbuild for the area if resale is a consideration.
I will have to look into the Motsinger Rd development. Thank you! I'd be concerned about Indigo Ridge if nothing has been built in years also.

I've already owned the largest house on the block once. It wasn't super huge....1800 square feet or so. It wasn't a tough sell, but it wasn't 3,000 square feet either!

Old 11-19-2014, 11:17 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

I will have to look into the Motsinger Rd development. Thank you! I'd be concerned about Indigo Ridge if nothing has been built in years also.

I've already owned the largest house on the block once. It wasn't super huge....1800 square feet or so. It wasn't a tough sell, but it wasn't 3,000 square feet either!
I drove by it again; it's called Wallfield Field (or Fields) Drive (or Road)...still no signage regarding lots or homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point