Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 05:14 PM

32 posts, read 37,503 times

Advertisements

Is it green on the other side? (besides the longer growing season) All your dreams fulfilled? Is it everything you hoped for? Do you like your new lifestyle? Are you happy you sold your taxed-to-death home in the North? Happy there is no more large snow storms? Nor'easters' if you will... Would you do it again? Any thinking of draggin' their behinds back North? If so, would you care to explain?

I live in CT and seriously consider making the move. Although I do enjoy the cooler weather in the NE, 60's low 70's is ideal. Mid 80's with low humidity is bearable for me. Anything past this.... I will definitely need air conditioning. I have an indoor career so at least I would be in an air conditioned building.

My wife's family lives in the Mocksville area. She is obviously all for it and can acclimate to the weather. Me on the other hand, not so much. Her parents absolutely love it (both retired) My Father-in-Law said to me, "if I knew what I know now 15 years ago, I would of left CT back then." They are very happy with their move / home / new friends / church life etc..... couldn't be happier. They are "egging" my wife to make a move and I am seriously open to this. The job I have now, well let's just say with the way things going in CT, I might have a couple of years at my new (2 month old)
job. My new employer is already is speaking of funding issues. They even mentioned to me that they (management) are all concerned about the future of their jobs. Wow, what a great way to start a new job lol So this is where I am job wise. So yes, I am open to the possibility of moving.

I have a sister-in-law and family that lives in Winston Salem and they love it too. They
been living in NC for 23 years and never once heard them say one ill thing about moving / living
there.

I am feeling out my options here and wondering my next move in life...........

I see some nice employment opportunities in my field so there is work for me.
I have lived in CT basically all my life. Only driven through NC on my way to other states.
My problem is I do not have a lot of time to make several trips to get a "feeling" for the life.
For me its going to be getting to know the area while I am going there for my interview. Might be a bad idea but it is the only way for me.

Any advice / tips for a potential transplant?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 05:08 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorNE View Post
All your dreams fulfilled? Is it everything you hoped for?
The only Zen you can find on the tops of mountains is the Zen you bring up there with you. ~Robert M. Pirsig

Quote:
Would you do it again?
Any thinking of draggin' their behinds back North?
From Maryland (near Baltimore)...
No thought of moving back but some about moving west. Very west.

Quote:
Mid 80's with low humidity is bearable for me.
Anything past this.... I will definitely need air conditioning.
Oh yeah... you'll be spinning that electric meter a whole lot.

Quote:
Any advice / tips for a potential transplant?
Rent for the first year... maybe longer before buying. <-- applies everywhere

Of Note:
If you take a job in/near Winston -- write me a note.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:08 PM

Thank you Mr. Rational for your informational post. I will certainly take you up on your advice should I take a job in or near WS. Lol funny about the electric meter spinning. Although today (7-16-16) it is in the mid to upper 80's with 80% humidity and I have just a fan going in my living room. No AC needed. Maybe that electric meter won't be spinning too fast after all lol.

If it has to pertain to the NC area you are living in, I am curious to your reason(s) for moving "very West"

I am surprised at the lack of responses to my post, especially from the amount of NE transplants that move here.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:27 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
...today (7-16-16) it is in the mid to upper 80's with 80% humidity
and I have just a fan going in my living room. No AC needed.
Yesterday my outside gauge read 78F temp and 74% Humidity.
I definitely had the AC on (72F and 51% inside).

Quote:
If it has to pertain to the NC area you are living in,
I am curious to your reason(s) for moving "very West"
It's mostly about the Politics and Religion issues...
which in NC are about the same thing to far too many.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:18 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
I am surprised at the lack of responses to my post, especially from the amount of NE transplants that move here.
The Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point subsection (AKA The Triad) of the board isn't nearly as active as the Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham (AKA Triangle) board, in part because the area doesn't have nearly the same influx of people in your situation moving in from other regions, including the Northeast US. And this sub-forum itself isn't nearly as active as those two sub-forums (it's a good one, it would just be nice to see a little swifter activity sometimes ). There are people moving from other parts of the US, but not nearly at the same level (in parts of the Triangle and Charlotte regions. In Cary, right outside of Raleigh for instance, people moving from the Northeast make up the majority of the population (it has had the nickname as the "Containment Area for Relocated Yankess" or something to that effect ). There aren't any large parts of the Triad that I can think of like that, and in the rural outlying areas of the Triad (especially the counties outside of Guilford/Forsyth), natives are the overwhelming majority.

In Davie County, for instance, you aren't likely to see as many transplants in Mocksville itself as you would Winston-Salem or the corner of Davie County next to Winston-Salem (Bermuda Run, Advance area which is primarily middle to upper income (at least for the region it's in) suburbia, or exurbia depending on how you define those two). Mocksville is an area where you're much more likely to find people who were born and raised there, and their parents/grandparents and earlier generations were raised there.

Last edited by Jowel; 07-17-2016 at 06:28 AM..

Old 07-20-2016, 06:17 PM

Thank you Jowel for your explanation. Very much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
The Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point subsection (AKA The Triad) of the board isn't nearly as active as the Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham (AKA Triangle) board, in part because the area doesn't have nearly the same influx of people in your situation moving in from other regions, including the Northeast US. And this sub-forum itself isn't nearly as active as those two sub-forums (it's a good one, it would just be nice to see a little swifter activity sometimes ). There are people moving from other parts of the US, but not nearly at the same level (in parts of the Triangle and Charlotte regions. In Cary, right outside of Raleigh for instance, people moving from the Northeast make up the majority of the population (it has had the nickname as the "Containment Area for Relocated Yankess" or something to that effect ). There aren't any large parts of the Triad that I can think of like that, and in the rural outlying areas of the Triad (especially the counties outside of Guilford/Forsyth), natives are the overwhelming majority.

In Davie County, for instance, you aren't likely to see as many transplants in Mocksville itself as you would Winston-Salem or the corner of Davie County next to Winston-Salem (Bermuda Run, Advance area which is primarily middle to upper income (at least for the region it's in) suburbia, or exurbia depending on how you define those two). Mocksville is an area where you're much more likely to find people who were born and raised there, and their parents/grandparents and earlier generations were raised there.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:47 PM

9 posts, read 10,502 times
It's working out for me so far :-) I moved from NJ to Lexington. My husband is originally from here (went to central Davidson) and we met while he was stationed at Ft. Dix. We don't own yet but I knew when I graduated from Rutgers that NJ wouldn't be in the cards for me long term anyway. Lexington is a bit of a culture shock but I'd do Winston or Charlotte in a heartbeat too. From what I know about mocksville(my MIL goes to church out there) it's on the smaller side as well so chose wisely where you'd like to live. My job is letting me telecommute and keep my NJ salary so we are killing it down here. We're expecting our first child as well, so I'm glad to be out of jersey and in a place where we can buy a nice home and raise our kids with a better quality of life (to us). I will say this though - THE HEAT! Back in NJ you have a few 100 degree days. Here it's an every single day thing so dress accordingly :-)

Old 08-01-2016, 08:28 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,530 times
The piedmont cities of NC are not "the deep south" in terms of climate. Yeah June and July are muggy with many mid 90s days but by mid August the evenings become drier, and pleasant enough to open the windows again.

I can sense the difference between Charlotte and Columbia SC... it's "real" subtropicalness down there, and the heat and humidity would slow me down.

Although you lose the pleasant summers of the NE, you gain it back in the nice winters. Here we get a few snows a year, everyone makes a big deal about it, and it melts away within a day. The mountains remove some moisture from Ohio valley systems, yielding drier air with more sunlight. It just doesn't feel like the gray gloom from nothern states. There are many fair days in the 50s during the winter when you can comfortably be active.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:01 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
I have seen "a million" posts on moving south to escape bad weather and high taxes. Many turn out bad.

When it is cold, you can put on more clothes. Down here, July and August and sometimes September, you can take off all your clothes and you will still be miserable. And it is not even the heat, it is the humidity!

With the reduction in taxes, there is a reduction in government services. You have to understand this clearly!

For instance, most of our schools are under budgeted. We have some great schools and teachers, but they often lack the resources of schools where taxes are higher.

We don't have a hundred snow plows, so when it snows, even a little, it is a mess down here. And we HATE HEARING ABOUT IT FROM NORTHERN TRANSPLANTS, whose tax dollars used to fund a bunch of plows.

I think public transportation is lacking down here, too.

I grew up here and am perfectly happy, but I have OBSERVED a lot of folks, moving down solely for temperature and taxes, whine and whine about stuff once they were here for awhile.

Remember a balloon. We just squeeze it different down here!

Old 08-07-2016, 12:20 PM

224 posts, read 285,998 times
Quote:
Is it green on the other side? (besides the longer growing season) All your dreams fulfilled? Is it everything you hoped for? Do you like your new lifestyle? Are you happy you sold your taxed-to-death home in the North? Happy there is no more large snow storms? Nor'easters' if you will... Would you do it again? Any thinking of draggin' their behinds back North? If so, would you care to explain?

I live in CT and seriously consider making the move. Although I do enjoy the cooler weather in the NE, 60's low 70's is ideal. Mid 80's with low humidity is bearable for me. Anything past this.... I will definitely need air conditioning. I have an indoor career so at least I would be in an air conditioned building.
I moved from NY, and I wouldn't move back but I'm thinking of moving out of NC to Florida. At first all seems great, but it gets old after awhile. While there's lack of snow there's more ice and that is worse than snow...There were times where I couldn't get out of the house for a few days because the roads are so icey. Other than that the weather here is not much different from NY. You might like living here or you might not. Everyone's different..

Last edited by aylinap; 08-07-2016 at 12:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point