Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 11:58 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,961,003 times

Advertisements

Good riddance, that suburban block of a building is an absolute eye sore, it looks so out of place like it should be around other suburban office buildings near the airport blvd. I say this because that block used to look like elm street, and I'm sure the king cotton hotel was on this plot of land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 12:04 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,226,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
Good riddance, that suburban block of a building is an absolute eye sore, it looks so out of place like it should be around other suburban office buildings near the airport blvd. I say this because that block used to look like elm street, and I'm sure the king cotton hotel was on this plot of land.
Correct. The 14 story King Cotton Hotel was at the corner of E Market and Davie street. The rest if the block had row commercial buildings like on South Elm St.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Since the W-S Journal and News & Record are owned by the same company, and with their physical proximity, it makes perfect sense to consolidate printing operations. The press operations in W-S are outside of downtown (less valuable property), so it also makes sense to maximize the value of the G'boro downtown real estate.
Agreed. People have been waiting for this move for a very long time. I expect to see Roy Carroll try to buy the property and do something big. Some thought they would move to the old main post office on E Market St just east of downtown but the United House of Prayer purchased that lot.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:10 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Agreed. People have been waiting for this move for a very long time. I expect to see Roy Carroll try to buy the property and do something big

Yes, I'm sure you do.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:46 PM

626 posts, read 626,401 times
So basically the News and Record a very Liberal Greensboro newspaper is moving to WS. Good luck on that just another reason for me not to get the paper when I move back to Greensboro this year.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:55 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
So basically the News and Record a very Liberal Greensboro newspaper is moving to WS. Good luck on that just another reason for me not to get the paper when I move back to Greensboro this year.
The Greensboro paper and the Winston-Salem paper, owned by the same parent company, are going to share one printing plant located in W-S. How that fits into your little rant is not clear.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:18 PM

And here it is.... The sale is creating a buzz around town about Greensboro's next big development going on site. I hate TBJ lol all the good articles are subscribers content

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/new...y-creates.html

Interest comes from the city as well

http://m.greensboro.com/news/greensb....html?mode=jqm

"Vaughan said the property could be "transformative" for downtown if the city partners with a developer to create a high-rise office building, a shopping complex or some other type of development"

Old 01-11-2017, 03:56 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,961,003 times
Greensboro city leaders actually desperately wanting change for downtown? Color me shocked, I'm so used to the old city leaders that chased big projects away...

Old 01-11-2017, 04:44 PM

5 posts, read 4,951 times
In my opinion a real estate development that will create equity and increase new capital investment is what all of us need downtown. Retail, breweries, restaurants or tourist related venues will not do it. They improve the experience which is also important but will not create that moving engine of investment that we desperately need. Major corporate headquarters, research centers for nano or biotech as an example will create good paying jobs, increase expenditure and bring new investment opportunities for small and large investors to open shop or enhance their services in the downtown area. A good example of that domino effect is GPAC. Not built yet but has created enough energy to move investors to bet on the future by building and planning new hotels, apartments and why not bigger donations to build new parks. Now we need that other much bigger project to keep downtown growth going.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpitc2016 View Post
In my opinion a real estate development that will create equity and increase new capital investment is what all of us need downtown. Retail, breweries, restaurants or tourist related venues will not do it. They improve the experience which is also important but will not create that moving engine of investment that we desperately need. Major corporate headquarters, research centers for nano or biotech as an example will create good paying jobs, increase expenditure and bring new investment opportunities for small and large investors to open shop or enhance their services in the downtown area. A good example of that domino effect is GPAC. Not built yet but has created enough energy to move investors to bet on the future by building and planning new hotels, apartments and why not bigger donations to build new parks. Now we need that other much bigger project to keep downtown growth going.
I actually think it could be a combination of both. That's a lot of land. I see developer Marty Kotis is thinking like me. He stated in the News and Record article that it would be a great use for mixed use project that includes a conference center, hotel and retail.

" A coordinated downtown project may not turn Greensboro into Charlotte, he said, but it could draw residents, shoppers and tourists. Such cities as Asheville, Wilmington and Greenville, S.C. are good examples, he said.

Kotis, who expressed no interest in buying the land, said the land would be perfect for a mixed-use project with a hotel, conference center and retail. Depending on the intensity of the development, he said, developers might spend from $100 million to $500 million at the site."

The most likely players for that are going to be some national large-scale developers out of an Atlanta or DC or Chicago that have done 20 of these things already," he said.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-11-2017 at 05:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point