Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 04:58 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times

Advertisements

An area along Battleground Ave just northwest of downtown (extending to Westover Terrace) which includes a multiplex theater, retail and restaurants is starting to be called midtown Greensboro. Friendly Center and affluent neighborhoods are nearby. The most recent development news is a large street side retail project fronting Battleground Ave next to RED Cinemas movie theater. While this is not new news (was reported in July) I did get a scoop on what is planned for phase 2 which would include a residential or maybe even a hotel component. I just recently heard that a 10-story tower could be going up next to the movie theater.

There was a hint in the article below

"Phase two of the project would be to the right side of the theater. That phase could be another 20,000-square-foot building with a similar investment, or it could be something bigger"

Kotis plans big streetside retail project in front of cinema - Greensboro - Triad Business Journal

Last edited by gsoboi78; 08-29-2015 at 05:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 11:01 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
I don't know about others, but I haven't heard anything about a Midtown area of Greensboro. Cities with small downtowns generally don't have a designated Midtown. Downtown would have to grow and boom significantly over a period of years to spread into and organically grow a Midtown. I don't see it happening.

But you can call it Midtown all you want...I can't imagine it catching on.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:53 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Its catching on with the Greensboro News and Record. Here's a recent headline:

"Developer plans to bring restaurant, retail shops to midtown Greensboro"

Old 08-31-2015, 07:31 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,960,599 times
That area is referred to as midtown by the locals iv'e talked to as well, it's seen alot of development over the past year, it's very popular due to the types of establishments that have gone up on that corridor in the last year, Mainly Pubs, bars, wine bars and breweries, seems to have a target audience of Millennials and young professionals. it's very busy around that area mid evening to night.

I think it was a very smart idea to plan an entirely new district that attracts Millennials and Young Professionals, Downtown seems to just cater to the office workers in the morning to day, the dinner crowd and walkers in the evening and the teens and clubbing crowd in the night to mid mornings. For some time now "educated" people complained that there were not enough adult bars or pubs that they could spend time in and had to settle with trying to find aforementioned activities downtown which only catered to Clubs so it pushed them away. So having all these establishments in one corridor is good for that certain type of crowd, and it has certainly benefited well. It also takes advantage of the south end development of downtown, so it's perfect really.

Joe, What you talked about is currently already happening and has been happening for sometime now. South end of Greensboro's downtown has already grown and expanded way beyond where it originally ended, The dead zone as i like to call it. The development from the South Side of Downtown is now spreading to battleground like a reversed domino effect, which is the area gsoboi and the News&Record is referring to as Midtown Greensboro.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:14 AM

I think the challenge is transitioning downtown with midtown in regards to architecture and walkability.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:46 AM

85 posts, read 168,214 times
A couple updates regarding the "midtown" section of Greensboro. Pig Pounder Brewery is currently in the process of expanding its taproom into the vacant building next door and will also be adding a roof top terrace to overlook downtown. Up the street a bit in the Westover Gallery of Shops the World of Beer is looking to a possible October 5th opening. Finally, HOPS Burger Bar is set to begin construction this month on its second location in the old Balance Day Spa location.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:14 PM

In many ways "midtown" has become a mini version of downtown in terms of restaurants, bars and nightlife. I think a 10-story residential tower next to the Red Cinemas movie theater will really set a trend of whats to come to the area which is nestled in between downtown and the upscale retail stores and restaurants of Friendly Center.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:12 PM

85 posts, read 168,214 times
World of Beer grand opening in the Westover Gallery of Shops is Monday October 19th.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:37 AM

6 posts, read 5,088 times
mid-town? Reminds me of the old-school trifecta of having the Janus theatre, Cellar Anton's, Baskin Robbins and Cycles De Oro all on the near block. Sadly, those days are long gone.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:26 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balder View Post
mid-town? Reminds me of the old-school trifecta of having the Janus theatre, Cellar Anton's, Baskin Robbins and Cycles De Oro all on the near block. Sadly, those days are long gone.
But thankfully, new days are here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point