Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 02:01 PM

23 posts, read 28,332 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Due to a job transfer with my husband we may be relocating to either the Burlington area or Fayetteville area and was wondering which might be a better choice for a young family. We are moving from the Dallas/fort with area. Housing prices are pretty much the same. How are the schools? Is one area better than the other? We currently go back and forth between Dallas and Fort Worth all the time so driving to do activities is no big deal. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 04:28 PM

239 posts, read 306,063 times
Burlington is a smaller city but I'd pick Burlington 10/10 times over fayatville

Old 03-11-2018, 05:29 PM

241 posts, read 237,525 times
I'd pick neither personally but Burlington over Fayetteville.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:36 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
This.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:10 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Schools aren't great in either, but I'd definitely pick Burlington over F'ville.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:12 PM

626 posts, read 626,226 times
I have to confirm with the above is that neither are great choices but I would choose Burlington over Fayetteville any day of the week. I am actually working in Fayetteville now but I moved from SoCal here in December but I am originally grew up in Greensboro. So I would choose Burlington to work in over Fayetteville but I would live in Guilford County and commute to Burlington.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:57 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,055,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
I have to confirm with the above is that neither are great choices but I would choose Burlington over Fayetteville any day of the week. I am actually working in Fayetteville now but I moved from SoCal here in December but I am originally grew up in Greensboro. So I would choose Burlington to work in over Fayetteville but I would live in Guilford County and commute to Burlington.
This is pretty much how I see it. Working in Fayetteville, you're about 90 minutes from Raleigh (not feasible for a daily commute). As for Burlington, you can easily commute from Greensboro. Even living in Western Greensboro (the better side of the city), you're looking at about a 35-45 minute commute to Burlington (definitely doable, though longer than some may wish). It's also about a 35-45 minute commute from Durham and about an hour or so to Raleigh (all potentially doable... though Raleigh is pushing it).

Old 03-12-2018, 05:21 AM

410 posts, read 343,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
This. Neither location is ideal, but I would go with Burlington over Fayetteville. If you select Burlington, look at the commute from Greensboro, NC. I would not live in Burlington. Ever.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:33 PM

239 posts, read 306,063 times
Actually west Burlington/ Elon lake macintosh area is really nice if you have to live in Burlington. But I'd choose any and everywhere over fayatville.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:58 PM

626 posts, read 626,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesJava View Post
This. Neither location is ideal, but I would go with Burlington over Fayetteville. If you select Burlington, look at the commute from Greensboro, NC. I would not live in Burlington. Ever.
Exactly and that's why I am living in Sanford but commuting to Fayetteville everyday. I like the idea of being able to go to Raleigh when I want, living outside of F'ville, and being able to go to Greensboro to see family if I want. When I moved back to NC in December I was thinking about living in Angier or FV and commuting everyday to F'ville but that's at least an hour on a good day so I decided to just stay in Sanford.

But just like you said you can work in Burlington but live somewhere else either in Orange County or Guilford County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point