Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 07:47 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times

Advertisements

I told y'all to go vote last year... didn't I? Didn't I?!! SMH

https://yogreensboro.com/

“Who is ‘we’?” asked District 1 representative Sharon Hightower of Mayor Nancy Vaughan at the June 20 meeting of Greensboro City Council.

The question came after Vaughan read aloud a prepared statement about pursuing “additional funding streams” to finance the Greensboro Coliseum and Tanger Center. While it was not the focus of her statement, the mayor acknowledged that one such “funding stream” could be a prepared food tax on all meals served in Greensboro restaurants.

“Can I ask you a quick question?” interjected Hightower when Vaughan attempted to move on to the next agenda item. “You brought up a prepared food tax, and you interspersed that in your statement. Is that something you’re anticipating trying to accomplish here?”

“Well, as I said in this statement,” replied Vaughan, “we are still looking at it. We are trying to get good information. We want to make sure we have good plan that answers all questions.”

Which is when Hightower asked who the mayor meant by “we.”

And then on top of that, the restaurateurs don't even want it...

"Vaughan said the town of Cary is building a new tennis facility that will compete for tournaments now held at Greensboro’s Spencer Love Tennis Center.

“We are going head-to-head not only nationally, but … with these other cities in North Carolina that have a revenue stream that we do not,” she said.

"However, in a June 26 letter to Vaughan from the North Carolina Restaurant and Lodging Association, the group lobbied against the proposed tax.

Association President and CEO Lynn Minges pointed out that restaurants have needed to raise their prices because of increased labor and food costs. Noting that these businesses are just coming back from the devastating effects of the pandemic, “an increased tax on your citizens and restaurant customers would hurt both consumers and food service establishments at a time when they can least afford it,” Minges wrote.

Minges suggested the city consider “user fees” instead"- News & Record

https://greensboro.com/news/local/me...5fbd3a0b9.html

Apparently the invite to local restaurateurs to discuss this was sent from a third party email not affiliated with the city as well.

What's goin on here?!! There's steam picking up for a recall in the mayor's race, btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 08:12 PM

Lemme just add this, too...

"Vaughan said in her presentation that both Mecklenburg and Wake counties as well as other jurisdictions in the state had a prepared food tax and that Greensboro needed to have the same taxing authority to compete.
Hal Blevins of Machete restaurant said, “It’s hard to do business in Greensboro. We can’t do things they can do in Mecklenburg County. We can’t do the things they do in Wake County.”
Vaughan said, “People I talk to say that Greensboro is a very easy place to do business.”

This brought a lot of comments all at once; none seemed to be in agreement. One speaker said, “Anybody in here ever had the city help you with anything, raise your hand.”
No hands were raised, but a lot of grumbling was heard." - Rhinotimes.com

https://www.rhinotimes.com/news/vaug...ared-food-tax/

You literally can't make this stuff up... what are we doin' here folks?

Old 07-19-2023, 09:44 PM

378 posts, read 205,023 times
Rhino Times. LOL

"Mecklenburg and Wake counties as well as other jurisdictions in the state had a prepared food tax and that Greensboro needed to have the same taxing authority to compete."

Yes. Like it or not. Be prepared to pay a "prepared food tax". Unless you refuse, by staying at home. And grilling your own food which I, personally, do.

Old 07-19-2023, 10:07 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,223,297 times
Prepared food tax hikes have never been popular in Greensboro or the Triad. I still remember the fallout from the proposed Prepared food tax hike for the Major League Baseball Stadium between Greensboro and Winston-Salem back in the late 90s.

Old 07-19-2023, 10:28 PM

378 posts, read 205,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Prepared food tax hikes have never been popular in Greensboro or the Triad. I still remember the fallout from the proposed Prepared food tax hike for the Major League Baseball Stadium between Greensboro and Winston-Salem back in the late 90s.
Prepared food taxes are unpopular everywhere.

Old 07-20-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
Rhino Times. LOL

"Mecklenburg and Wake counties as well as other jurisdictions in the state had a prepared food tax and that Greensboro needed to have the same taxing authority to compete."

Yes. Like it or not. Be prepared to pay a "prepared food tax". Unless you refuse, by staying at home. And grilling your own food which I, personally, do.
Way to support the local economy, Big!

So you really think this is gonna be pushed through?

Old 07-20-2023, 11:23 AM

676 posts, read 493,986 times
Don't blame me. I voted.

Old 07-20-2023, 12:18 PM

851 posts, read 417,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
Rhino Times. LOL

Greensboro needs to be far more judicious regarding levels of taxation than Wake and Mecklenburg counties. This reality is actually one of the keys to BEING competitive with our wealthier and more successful neighbors.

Old 07-20-2023, 05:15 PM

851 posts, read 417,440 times
Would Miss Nancy have us believe that without a new tax, there's simply not enough money to "pay for maintenance and improvements to city venues and sports fields? What else could it be but a revenue shortage due to insufficient levels of taxation? Greensboro isn't Cary, we need to be far more fiscally conservative. If it comes to a vote, mine is likely no. And definitely no if the money is funneled to general revenue rather than dedicated to a specific purpose.

Last edited by TunedIn; 07-20-2023 at 05:47 PM..

Old 07-20-2023, 06:21 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,223,297 times
I'm against it for the simple reason that food prices are already high as it is. Either bring in more big tax paying companies or cut spending if the city needs more money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point