Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2023, 03:12 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,237,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
The triad in general could learn a lot from the Upstate area. The parallels are there, multi-centered metros, similar distances to larger metros, similar populations, both in fast growing states. Yet the upstate didn't let its smaller stature or location deter the focus. The area has really came into its own as of late. The triad needs to focus on how to thrive with nearby successful metros, not in spite of.
It baffles me as to why the Triad can't seem to take advantage of being nestled in between two of the hottest growth areas of the country, Charlotte and the Triangle. And we have a large population, good quality of life, great transportation infrastructure and great universities. Being between those two, the Triad should have an advantage over both those areas. I use to think Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham were sucking all the oxygen out of the room but I'm not so sure you can blame those two areas. Despite some progress that has been made, I still feel like there is an element holding the Triad back. Greensboro should be booming. After 20 plus years the Innovation Quarter in Winston-Salem should be built out with home grown and major national corporations. The Innovation Quarter should have companies like Google or Apple setting up offices there by now. Its taken Durham a few years for what Winston-Salem has accomplished in 20 years with their downtown Innovation District in the Bull City. Greensboro seems to be still trying to find itself trying to do a little bit of everything. It proposes a downtown Innovation District but as slow pace as Greensboro is at building things it will take another 10 to 20 years before we see serious construction on it. By then what's the _ _ _ _ ing point. IDs will be common place by then and won't set Greensboro apart to attract companies and growth. Greensboro has always been a johnny come lately and never tries to lead the pack with new and fresh ideas. Our downtown needs to get beyond new restaurants and breweries and take the next step. Yeah we got a performing arts center and a few new hotels but that should have happened years ago. The focus seems to be turning downtown into a residential/entertainment district. While those are important elements in downtown revitalization, there has been no real effort to attract small companies and large corporations downtown. First and foremost downtown is the business district. It should be the center of business in Greensboro not PTI.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-17-2023 at 03:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2023, 06:22 PM

389 posts, read 293,986 times
I think the Triad is hurt buy a lot of the surrounding rural/ farm. Cities. Like Pilot mtn, king, rural hall, whisett, Burlington. Those folks in those cities already see Winston Salem and Greensboro as Big City Living... And yes @gsoboi78, Greensboros downtown needs to start focusing on Businesses and corporations, so far their priority has been catering to the college crowds .. I mean having a drinking district in 2023 where u can have drinks on the st.. equals... "florals for spring. ground breaking" ;p

Old 02-18-2023, 10:00 AM

I'm actually intrigued by Kannapolis. Its a small town and they are doing a lot of "big city" urban development in their downtown thanks to the ballpark and they are doing it at a rapid pace block after block. I don't think I've ever seen a town in North Carolina that small doing such things in their downtown. They are planning to build a performing arts center and a sports and entertainment venue as well. Also their development is more architecturally appealing than what's going up in Greensboro. Their are only two developments in downtown Greensboro that I have to give an A + in terms of architecture and that's 400 Bellemeade (AKA Project Slugger) and Carroll Ballpark South. The planned AC Hotel is probably the example of new urban architecture in downtown Greensboro.

Greensboro has seen the same type of development as Kannapolis but at a snails pace. I just wish development would go up faster in Greensboro and we need a bigger vision for a city of over 300,000 people.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-18-2023 at 10:08 AM..

Old 02-18-2023, 10:32 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,061,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I'm actually intrigued by Kannapolis. Its a small town and they are doing a lot of "big city" urban development in their downtown thanks to the ballpark and they are doing it at a rapid pace block after block. I don't think I've ever seen a town in North Carolina that small doing such things in their downtown. They are planning to build a performing arts center and a sports and entertainment venue as well. Also their development is more architecturally appealing than what's going up in Greensboro. Their are only two developments in downtown Greensboro that I have to give an A + in terms of architecture and that's 400 Bellemeade (AKA Project Slugger) and Carroll Ballpark South. The planned AC Hotel is probably the example of new urban architecture in downtown Greensboro.

Greensboro has seen the same type of development as Kannapolis but at a snails pace. I just wish development would go up faster in Greensboro and we need a bigger vision for a city of over 300,000 people.
Before celebrating the architecture of the AC Hotel and Carroll SOB, I might wait to see what *actually* gets built.

Coming from Hampton Roads, A-level proposals often turn into C-level reality (or nothing at all). The Westin here is another example.

Old 02-19-2023, 08:41 AM

855 posts, read 421,819 times
Quote:
It baffles me as to why the Triad can't seem to take advantage of being nestled in between two of the hottest growth areas of the country, Charlotte and the Triangle. And we have a large population, good quality of life, great transportation infrastructure and great universities. Being between those two, the Triad should have an advantage over both those areas. I use to think Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham were sucking all the oxygen out of the room but I'm not so sure you can blame those two areas. Despite some progress that has been made, I still feel like there is an element holding the Triad back. Greensboro should be booming. After 20 plus years the Innovation Quarter in Winston-Salem should be built out with home grown and major national corporations. The Innovation Quarter should have companies like Google or Apple setting up offices there by now. Its taken Durham a few years for what Winston-Salem has accomplished in 20 years with their downtown Innovation District in the Bull City. Greensboro seems to be still trying to find itself trying to do a little bit of everything. It proposes a downtown Innovation District but as slow pace as Greensboro is at building things it will take another 10 to 20 years before we see serious construction on it. By then what's the _ _ _ _ ing point. IDs will be common place by then and won't set Greensboro apart to attract companies and growth. Greensboro has always been a johnny come lately and never tries to lead the pack with new and fresh ideas. Our downtown needs to get beyond new restaurants and breweries and take the next step. Yeah we got a performing arts center and a few new hotels but that should have happened years ago. The focus seems to be turning downtown into a residential/entertainment district. While those are important elements in downtown revitalization, there has been no real effort to attract small companies and large corporations downtown. First and foremost downtown is the business district. It should be the center of business in Greensboro not PTI.
Apple and Google ARE coming to Greensboro. Just as soon as space aliens destroy Charlotte and Raleigh with ray guns. And maybe not even then. We simply don't have the requisite demographic. They do. And as the best and brightest from across the country flood into these sizzling metros, the imbalance will become only more pronounced. It's not to say we shouldn't make some degree of effort in this direction, maybe even get some base hits, it's just not where the gold's ever gonna be. Next, bringing folks downtown with sports and entertainment to support local merchants is exactly what we should be doing there. Private industry has already told us not to sit back and wait for corporate headquarters to set up shop. Again, make the effort and win some small victories. Finally, you've got it backwards. PTI is exactly where it's at moving forward. Between FedEx, HAECO and others, there's 8600 good paying jobs within. And growing. BOOM will occupy 65 acres of the Aerospace Megasite with 1000 still left to build. And with the likes of GTCC and others, prospective employers can expect a qualified stream of local talent. Regarding Greensboro in particular and the Triad in general, pragmatism is the order or the day. Keep taxes reasonable, continue to invest in infrastructure, clean up the crime, and growth will come. Forget Google and Apple. We're seeing at the Randolph and PTI megasites that our wheelhouse is, and will be, in manufacturing and transportation/logistics. We're like the plumber living in between two doctors. And there's nothing in this world wrong with being a good plumber.

Last edited by TunedIn; 02-19-2023 at 09:36 AM..

Old 02-19-2023, 10:14 AM

389 posts, read 293,986 times
Maybe I just need to realize this is the best Greensboro is going to get in my life time. I'm only 41 but at the rate Greensboros been growing... Im curious and would like to know how many of us regular posters on here, plan on calling Greensboro their forever city or their final retirement destination. As for me , I would like to move one more time in my 50s while I'm still able hopefully to still move a majority on my own. But I'd hate to move away and then have Greensboro all come together and then have a hard time getting back in (price wise) just wish I had a crystal ball. But at this stage , I can say that I dont see myself living here in retirement years.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:21 PM

615 posts, read 539,831 times
Hugh McColl, former CEO of BOA, once said that a city must have a very vibrant downtown fuor the city and metro to flourish. While, it may not be obvious with an occasional to Charlotte, the city has been transforming downtown for many years. Way back in the 1960s, the Odell plan was created fir downtown. That plan has been followed closely for all of these years. It has certainly paid off. It is still being followed today.

Someone earlier mentioned Greenville SC. It attributes much of its success to its downtown. Of course, the BMW plant also played a major role. The mayor of Greenville put into works a plan in the 1970s to refurbish downtown. His plan has been an overwhelming success.

Last edited by The QC; 02-20-2023 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: Grammatical error

Old 02-21-2023, 04:29 AM

Greensboro did try back in the 1970s. There was a downtown master plan pushed by former Greensboro mayor Jim Melvin which included a downtown convention center, office towers, beautiful public plazas with water features etc. But apparently there just wasn't enough backing. Greensboro was still a textile town and had no desire to become an urban metropolis. The city just didn't see ahead and no one knew textiles jobs were going across seas and to Mexico. Jim Melvin continued to fight for a downtown convention center in the 1980s but ended up fighting a battle with Joe Koury who wanted to build his convention center off of I-40. I guess private investment trumps city taxpayer spending. Joe Koury was the Roy Carroll of the 1980s and 1990s but he just didn't want to invest in downtown Greensboro.

Greensboro is now playing catch up and really the Triad in general. When times are good, you can't take your foot off the gas and that's what Greensboro did during the textile era.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-21-2023 at 04:45 AM..

Old 02-21-2023, 07:33 PM

743 posts, read 827,339 times
The problem Greensboro/The Triad have are difficult to overcome. Charlotte has it's mega airport hub/extremely proactive business community & the Triangle has RTP/UNC/Duke/NCSU that serve to anchor their respective regions & allow them to expand & diversify their economies.

Old 02-21-2023, 10:01 PM

380 posts, read 208,645 times
Quote:
Greensboro did try back in the 1970s. There was a downtown master plan pushed by former Greensboro mayor Jim Melvin which included a downtown convention center, office towers, beautiful public plazas with water features etc. But apparently there just wasn't enough backing. Greensboro was still a textile town and had no desire to become an urban metropolis. The city just didn't see ahead and no one knew textiles jobs were going across seas and to Mexico. Jim Melvin continued to fight for a downtown convention center in the 1980s but ended up fighting a battle with Joe Koury who wanted to build his convention center off of I-40. I guess private investment trumps city taxpayer spending. Joe Koury was the Roy Carroll of the 1980s and 1990s but he just didn't want to invest in downtown Greensboro.

Greensboro is now playing catch up and really the Triad in general. When times are good, you can't take your foot off the gas and that's what Greensboro did during the textile era.
Greensboro didn't take its foot off of the gas during the "textiles era". NAFTA did. First Mexico. Then China. "Tobacco, textiles and furniture." NAFTA. Mexico and China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point