Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 02:07 PM

14 posts, read 32,095 times

Advertisements

What is NC weather like? Is there a spring, fall etc. It seems like in Texas is just hot and hot as hell. Really considering moving to NC....

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 02:39 PM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times
North Carolina has a varied climate, with major differences mostly from west to east due to elevation and proximity to the ocean, although there is also a more moderate difference from north to south. The coast, coastal plains, and sandhills are the warmest part of the state, with the least amount of snow and cold. Temps in the summer can approach or exceed 100 degrees, but this is still rare. The humidity can be high throughout the state from Memorial Day until Labor Day. However, as with this summer, cold fronts can still come through in the middle of summer and offer refreshing reprieves from the humidity. In fact, this July and August featured temps in the 50's at night. The western part of the state has the coldest weather and most snow. The central part is in between the western and eastern climate, naturally. In essence, most of NC has a mild climate that offers four seasons and just enough snow to love it but not enough to get sick of it.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:47 PM

WHOA! I can not wait, I really look forward to trees changing color and getting snow. Thank you so much for the info.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:31 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Climate of North Carolina - http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/climatenorm...Clim_NC_01.pdf

Old 08-19-2008, 04:56 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,307,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenjust View Post
What is NC weather like? Is there a spring, fall etc. It seems like in Texas is just hot and hot as hell. Really considering moving to NC....

Thanks
It depends on where you are in NC. The immediate coastal area has breezes off the ocean but with high humidity. The western part of the state is mountainous and at a higher elevation with cooler temperatures. There are four seasons across the entire state, but the more west and north you go the colder it can become in winter.

You are from Texas so you know about heat and the sun's intensity. In NC the sun is not as intense, but the humidity is higher than Dallas (for example). Also NC, with the exception of the immediate coastal areas, does not have the constant breeze that much of Texas has. Therefore, with NC's higher humidity (compared to Dallas) the summers in NC can become equally as intolerable as Texas' summers at times.

I lived in Winston-Salem for many decades and also have a place in Asheville (western NC mountains) and Dallas. I have found that when it is 100 degrees in Dallas with its lower humidity and breezes, it is equivalent to about 94 in Winston-Salem with its higher humidity and calm air. That said, the summer temperatures in Winston-Salem often reaches the high 90s, therefore (to me) the "comfort factor" between the two areas are very much the same in my opinion. If you can seek shade in Dallas, the breeze and lower humidity make it very tolerable, however in Winston-Salem the higher humidity and lack of breeze can make it pretty bad. Personally I would much rather tolerate the higher Dallas temperatures than the higher humidity and still air in central NC. So what if it's 101 in Dallas and 96 in Winston-Salem. Give me the lower humidity and breeze with a higher temperature any day...

The western mountains of NC is very nice in the summer months, however it can reach into the 90s there also but the nights cool off into the 50s and 60s. The winters can be somewhat brutal with lows getting into the single digits. The central part of the state can also experience teens and low 20s, with the coastal area only getting down into the 30s during the winter. Personally, I do not like cold weather - and would much prefer to be hot any day than cold.

As for your description of Texas weather being just hot and hot as hell - I have found that during the summer it is hot as hell most everywhere. And that includes many parts of the country that you might think would be cooler than Texas. Summers can be brutal most anywhere, including NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington, DC, Atlanta, Nashville, St. Louis, etc., etc. Don't think for a moment that Texas is the only place in the U.S. where it can be uncomfortable in the summertime. I assure you it is not...

Old 08-19-2008, 07:29 AM

628 posts, read 2,070,431 times
In NC it's not the heat that will get you, it's the humidity. Some people can take it, some can't. It takes some getting used to.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:28 PM

Cool Response to Kooter

I totally agree with you about its hot every where in America during the summer months, however in Texas, Dallas to be exact, its very hot, breeze and shade? where please let me know where. I really appreciate your opinion about the weather of both states. But I would really enjoy trying something other than Hot and hot as hell damn near all year round.
Thanks for your time Have a wonderful day

Old 08-19-2008, 08:00 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,307,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenjust View Post
I totally agree with you about its hot every where in America during the summer months, however in Texas, Dallas to be exact, its very hot, breeze and shade? where please let me know where. I really appreciate your opinion about the weather of both states. But I would really enjoy trying something other than Hot and hot as hell damn near all year round.
Thanks for your time Have a wonderful day
I don't know about you but I was downright cold today. I went out to dinner around 7pm and the temperature was around 76 degrees with a breeze blowing. My wife complained that it was cold too...and suggested a sweatshirt would feel good. So much for Texas (Dallas specifically) always being either hot or hot as hell in the summer.

Give me that sunshine and higher temperatures any day.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:12 PM

451 posts, read 1,565,746 times
Default Weather in the mountains of Watauga County

Tonight, our weather is 67 degrees and the high tomorrow is 77. The summer this year has been very pleasant. Last year, it really got hot for us and since a lot of us do not have air condition, we suffered. But that was real unusual. We have a lot of summer residents that live here part of the time. My neighbors are from Texas and are here from June through October. If you have never been to our mountains, you are missing a real treat. Our fall colors are spectacular. As you drive down the mountain, the temperature starts rising. The valleys are not as hot as the flat lands past Raleigh. Up here in the mountains, our winters can be brutal. It is the wind that gets you up here. It doesn't really snow as much as it used to. The spring in the piedmont area is spectacular. Flowers are blooming everywhere.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:32 PM

Smile Response to Kooter

It was raining today just like the past two days which is rare, i really did appreciate the "rare" Breeeze.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point