Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 09:41 PM

26 posts, read 138,658 times

Advertisements

I bought my first home (a new home) in February 2008 that was built Nov.2007. I purchased it for the listing price that the builder was asking (1st homeowner in the subdivision) to keep the comps up. When I received my taxes I was shocked to find out the Real Estate Appraiser put the house market value $4000 more than the listing purchased price.

I have called the appraiser for this area to appeal, and after leaving many messages I finally talked to her. She told me that due to it being a new home that the market value was collected from the sales of homes in the area from 2006 & 2007.

If she would have put the home market value at the listing price it would made more sense to me than it being more than I purchased the home for, but she didn't. A few families have moved into the other new homes built in the subdivision valued at equal or less than what I purchased my home for, but when I pull up my neighbors information at the register of deeds online http://davidsoncorod.org/OnCoreWeb/Search.aspx there home market values were between $8000 - $11000 less than mine?!?

I would also have to believe if I went to a bank and try to take out a line of home equity I doubt they would value my home at the assessed value the county priced it at.

My question is how does one value a home higher than the listing price during a depressed housing market when the figures she was pulling from were from a better housing market economy?

If anyone has any suggestions on this appeal I would be greatly appreciated! Being a new homeowner is great, but these real estate taxes are new to me...

Last edited by WayOutMan; 03-17-2009 at 09:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 06:58 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,474 times
Yes. Everyone in America should know this- or be wiser to it....

everyone is hurting for money-including states and counties-every tax agency

They will raise taxes based off ___________ (bogus information)

You have the right to appeal the assesment AND you have a 99.999% chance of getting it reduced. I say that because of everyone I know that appeals it, I don't know anyone who didn't get something off. I appealed Davidson County and got 20% off the original amount.

When you appeal in writing, put copies of what you found online about houses equal to yours being way less. Also, on your tax card, look at it carefully. Do you have the number of fireplaces they say you do? Do you have the square footage, heating system, walls, etc? If not-grounds for reduction automatically.

good luck!

Old 03-18-2009, 08:26 AM

254 posts, read 925,292 times
Vegas is correct except for one thing - there is no bogus info being used to calculate taxes. I can't speak specifically for Davidson County, but they follow the Machinery Act just as the other 99.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:24 PM

26 posts, read 138,658 times
Update:

Well the Davidson County appraiser finally called, we discussed, and came to an agreement ($8110 less). The home is still the most appraised home in the neighborhood, but only by a few hundred dollars. I can live with that, now off to update my escrow...

Last edited by WayOutMan; 03-28-2009 at 07:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point