Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 10:08 AM

5 posts, read 14,896 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

Chicago transplant here (first to southeastern Raleigh, now the Triad area), and while it's obnoxiously easy to find New York styled pizza and sicilian style pizza, I can't find a place that has a good Deep Dish (just recently discovered a place in Cary that isn't bad... now I'm moving. It figures).

I had some hope when I found a Rosati's in Jamestown, but oddly even though they claim to be part of the chain, Rosati's doesn't list them, and they don't have deep dish OR stuffed pizza (unheard of in the Roasti's chain - maybe why they're not listed? lol).

Has anyone found any decent stuffed or deep dish in the Triad area (excluding Uno's. I still can't figure out how that chain is alive in Chicago...)

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 04:57 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
I used to like Unos but as time wore on so did the food quality. The one in High Point, the only one in the triad I knew of, closed several months ago. With that being said Papa John's & Pizza Hut advertise a deep dish & stuffed crust pizza repsectively.
Since you transplants are notoriously picky, though I'm not sure why, I'll leave the judging up to you.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:49 AM

52 posts, read 184,079 times
It's kinda like if you are married to a fat girl you real don't know what it's like to be w/a pretty one. We are not picky w/pizza we just want something that's close to what we are use to.....don't get mad at us because there aren't any GOOD pizza places down here.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friars View Post
It's kinda like if you are married to a fat girl you real don't know what it's like to be w/a pretty one. We are not picky w/pizza we just want something that's close to what we are use to.....don't get mad at us because there aren't any GOOD pizza places down here.
Describe what you consider a good pizza.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:52 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,272,002 times
Pizzeria L'Italiano in downtown Greensboro is good NY style pizza. I wish we did have Chicago style around here. (Maybe we do?) I've always wanted to try it.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:07 PM

799 posts, read 3,227,518 times
It's been my experience that things taste and smell differently in different climates and elevations. Also seasons. A perfume which is exceptional in Arizona is stifling here because of the humidity. Pizza is much the same. Everything up North tastes different, restaurant or self-made, plainly put.

I'm glad you find that stuffed in an "acceptable substitute!" LOL!!! (once you step out of "picky" for a while, it's much easier to spot. ) jab jab nudge nudge

Good pizza is a state of mind and ambience. It's also particular to the penny, which these days is stretched pretty thin. My suggestion would be this: open up a place that sells it and makes it fresh daily! Everyone always loves pizza. If you find you are missing something, you just might be the missing piece

(again, jab jab nudge nudge)

Old 05-31-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi View Post
It's been my experience that things taste and smell differently in different climates and elevations. Also seasons. A perfume which is exceptional in Arizona is stifling here because of the humidity. Pizza is much the same. Everything up North tastes different, restaurant or self-made, plainly put.

I'm glad you find that stuffed in an "acceptable substitute!" LOL!!! (once you step out of "picky" for a while, it's much easier to spot. ) jab jab nudge nudge

Good pizza is a state of mind and ambience. It's also particular to the penny, which these days is stretched pretty thin. My suggestion would be this: open up a place that sells it and makes it fresh daily! Everyone always loves pizza. If you find you are missing something, you just might be the missing piece

(again, jab jab nudge nudge)
That's what I was hoping to get out of Friars, but I guess my question was not going to get answered. Though I have not eaten pizza in Chicago I have tasted cuisine from other parts of the country and have yet eat anything that made me feel as if I have been denied good food by living in the south. Some foods have been better, some have been worse, and some I have been indifferent to.
Two examples, both from Utah;
Country potatoes: similar to our hash browns, but lightly grilled with red & yellow bell peppers. Yummy.
What they call a thick milkshake is what we call soft serve ice cream. They dispense it just like at Dairy Queen & many other fast food places as opposed to blending milk and ice cream.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,876 times
Just my opinion being from michigan. the deep dish pizza from any of the big pizza places is a joke. Even uno's wasnt authentic chicago deep dish. only way to get authentic deep dish in north carolina is ordering straight from chicago. Giordanos does mail order. It is not the same as going there but better then the crap you can get in the south

Old 06-26-2010, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,873 times
Smile pizza search

I don't know about stuffed or deep-dish, but as a recent New York transplant, I'm thrilled with MARIO's Pizza as the closest to NY pizza.
I prefer the thinner crust of the round pizza, but they have a sicilian (thick square pizza) too. Good luck.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:57 AM

201 posts, read 594,272 times
I had deep dish pizza at a place in Chicago when I visted couple years ago. It was highly over rated in my opinion. My husband who grew up in Pittsburgh says even our thin crust is not so good down here in the south. I don't know, I love Pizza Hut's pan pizza when I have a hankering for thick crust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point