Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 02:54 PM

23 posts, read 54,353 times

Advertisements

i would like to learn how to screen print t-shirts and tote bags. i have tried to find classes, but many of them are just a few hours and i doubt i can learn what i need about making screens, applying dyes, etc. in that short time. if anyone knows of a longer class or is willing to offer me lessons, i would be happy to pay for lessons and supplies. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 08:17 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaleclothing View Post
i would like to learn how to screen print t-shirts and tote bags. i have tried to find classes, but many of them are just a few hours and i doubt i can learn what i need about making screens, applying dyes, etc. in that short time. if anyone knows of a longer class or is willing to offer me lessons, i would be happy to pay for lessons and supplies. thanks!
Perhaps working somewhere that does screen printing? Nothing like OJT.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:02 AM

23 posts, read 54,353 times
WFW+P, thanks for your cmmt, but i already have a full time job so this will not work. also, it maybe helpful to note - i am looking to do more arty and creative screen printing, not commercial screen printing with machines...

Old 05-25-2010, 12:19 PM

451 posts, read 1,565,746 times
Default screen printing

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaleclothing View Post
WFW+P, thanks for your cmmt, but i already have a full time job so this will not work. also, it maybe helpful to note - i am looking to do more arty and creative screen printing, not commercial screen printing with machines...

Hi loyale, just google how to screen print, and lots of free sites on how to do it. I am a self-taught artist that uses the "how to" sites all the time. Some you learn a lot from, and some not so good. Check it out or call community colleges for some instructions. Years ago, I went to a class in stained glass, went to one class, got the basic info, and learned on my own. You could do that too. Good luck on your new creative endeavor.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:10 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,508 times
From what I understand (which you may already know...)

The actual process of applying silk screen ink & dyes in printing process only takes a few hours to learn....

The process of making the screens for the printing is what takes a L-O-N-G time to learn.

there are probably many places that will ink t-shirts for you, if you provide the computer files for the 4 color patterns.

I am thinking you would need to start with a class of software call "Vector Graphic" for example Corel Draw Suite, Adobe Illustrator, or if you are brave, Inkscape (Free software with no support and less instruction and help.) Your local community college might have a computer graphic illustrator classes.

Here is an example of on-line tutorial for CorelDraw (I post this because I am familiar with the product, but I am not endorsing CorelDraw to a raw beginner, you will want to buy the product recommended by your night school instructor.)
Corel DRAW tutorial
The add on is called CorelDraw Fashion Factory.

The next step is just printing to a special printer, which is just a machine you buy.

You can use your Adobe or Corel software to also create a command file for a multi-thread sewing machine with up to 16 needles and thread. I offer the following only as an example of what I am talking about. 4 work stations, each with 12 different colors for embroidery of a logo on to a shirt or hat. You can Google on your own for: embroidery multi-head sewing machines.
Brother International - Industrial Embroidery and Sewing

Again, all starts with the computer vector graphic software.

Aside: same with a wood laser cutting "scroll saw" pattern making, stemware (wine glass) engraving, and of course a few CNC brass and metal engraving tools.

For the most part, running the printing machines, is at the bottom of the food chain for earning money. The earning potential is in the artistic / graphic design end. Then sub-contract to lowest bidder for the grunt work of actually squeegeeing the paint or dye across the t-shirts.

This post could go on for a long time, so I will hold off for now.

Phil

Old 05-26-2010, 04:44 AM

101 posts, read 357,401 times
The Sawtooth School for Visual Arts in Winston-Salem has the "artsy" type of classes you're looking for. They had a 2-day silk-screening workshop in March, and may have another scheduled in their upcoming classes. They also have a surface design class (I took it in February) with Karen Fridy, a local artist. Their website is Sawtooth School for Visual Art, check it out, you might find something you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point