Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:33 PM

33 posts, read 73,568 times

Advertisements

I am planning on approaching the Greenville county council to enact a light trespass / pollution ordinance. This will include nuisance neighbors flood lights, security lights, etc. shining in windows, illuminating your back yards, patios, as well as the Duke Power "Suburban Yard Lights" on 30ft utility poles. Please take a moment to read the petition and hopefully sign the petition, offer your comments on this subject, and hopefully pass it on to those you know in the county. The petition is located at: Greenville County SC Light Trespass/Pollution Ordinance

Thanks in advance to those who take the time to read consider signing this petition to Greenville SC County Council.

Please feel free to contact me if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 12:36 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Wouldn't planting trees or shrubs which could help block the light be a better solution and not infringe on individual landowners' rights? Many people need good lighting for security and to keep an eye on children playing in their own yards.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:43 PM

Default Thanks but...

How do you block a light in a neighbors back yard that sit atop a 30ft pole?

I have already gone through the expense of lighting my property in a way that provides security, does not shine in my neighbors windows, illuminate their property, or degrades the natural look of the landscape.

Whats gives anyone the right to alter their properties in such a way as to limit the use or enjoyment of anothers????

Old 07-13-2010, 12:51 PM

Default Upstate Booster

forgot to ask you: define "good lighting" : )

Old 07-13-2010, 01:19 PM

Default So let me make sure I understand this....

If I decided to pour a concrete patio and every time it rained the run off flooded your yard: "Couldn't you buy a pair of rain boots?" "Don't infringe on my rights it's my property!"

If my dog barked all night long or I decided to crank my music to the wee hours of the morning and it kept you and your family up all night: "Couldn't you buy a good set of ear plugs?" "Dont' infringe on my rights it's my property!"

If I wanted to make love to my wife on my front lawn in clear view of your family: "Couldn't you give them blindfolds?" "I'm on my property! Don't infringe on my rights!"

I think you get the point. Oh and by the way if you want to see what light trespass is and see just how big of an issue this for a lot more people than you think check out the pics at:

Greenville County SC Light Trespass/Pollution Ordinace Petition Photos | Facebook

Old 07-13-2010, 02:19 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcav View Post
If I decided to pour a concrete patio and every time it rained the run off flooded your yard: "Couldn't you buy a pair of rain boots?" "Don't infringe on my rights it's my property!"

If my dog barked all night long or I decided to crank my music to the wee hours of the morning and it kept you and your family up all night: "Couldn't you buy a good set of ear plugs?" "Dont' infringe on my rights it's my property!"

If I wanted to make love to my wife on my front lawn in clear view of your family: "Couldn't you give them blindfolds?" "I'm on my property! Don't infringe on my rights!"

I think you get the point. Oh and by the way if you want to see what light trespass is and see just how big of an issue this for a lot more people than you think check out the pics at:

Greenville County SC Light Trespass/Pollution Ordinace Petition Photos | Facebook
Really? make love to your wife? I don't think these two things are on the same level. In fact, I don't even see how loud music and light are on the same level either. I have blackout curtains in my bedroom because I work really early in the mornings and often sleep in the day, I don't get mad at the sun.
Your examples are things that you would not be able to do either because they are illegal or because they are dangerous. I think there is a reason there are not already laws in place for "light pollution" it is in no way dangerous or a nuisance.(IMO)
This is why people have subdivisions, if you want rules like this, you should live in one

Edit: I don't even live in greenville county so this is purely opinion, I have no horse in the race so to speak

Old 07-13-2010, 02:29 PM

Default @ NoodlesKnowles

Noodles,

Of course the wife comment was sarcasm. But if you had to sit on your patio at night and your yard was lit up like a walmart parking lot you would feel differently i assure you. There is such a thing as overkill.

For the record I am not against anyone lighting their property for security, or any other reason. But when you go to the extreme of literally altering someone else's property against there wishes with blatant disregard this is trespass and and infringement of their rights.

Did you happen to look at the pics by chance?

Old 07-13-2010, 02:30 PM

915 posts, read 2,424,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
This is why people have subdivisions, if you want rules like this, you should live in one
Even in a subdivision, you'd be hard pressed to find any restriction about light. Most subdivisions only mention "quiet enjoyment", which obviously deals with nuisances involving noise.

I honestly think the light trespass thing is funny and ridiculous. My neighbor takes his dog out every night around 11pm or so. His flood light shines into our master. I don't whine about it, it's called being a grown up.

Honestly, this kind of ordinace would be open to so many loopholes and grey areas, it's just not likely to ever happen. Good luck fighting Duke and Laurens Electric on it though.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:32 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,138,602 times
We have lights like those in our neighborhood and they are for security. What someone has done, maybe the power company, is to black out one side of the globe nearest each home. The street gets the light but not the neighbor.
In my opinion you would be better off pursueing some solution such as this rather than going before council which will net you zero interest.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:34 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
Even in a subdivision, you'd be hard pressed to find any restriction about light. Most subdivisions only mention "quiet enjoyment", which obviously deals with nuisances involving noise.

I honestly think the light trespass thing is funny and ridiculous. My neighbor takes his dog out every night around 11pm or so. His flood light shines into our master. I don't whine about it, it's called being a grown up.

Honestly, this kind of ordinace would be open to so many loopholes and grey areas, it's just not likely to ever happen. Good luck fighting Duke and Laurens Electric on it though.
totally agree with your post, I guess what I was saying is if you were interested in having something like that, it would make more sense to me to see it in a homeowners association rulebook than a county law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcav View Post
Did you happen to look at the pics by chance?
yes I did, it looks like a light that shines onto your property, as stated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area