Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 08:14 AM

477 posts, read 841,133 times

Advertisements

Hi,
we live in Simpsonville and we want to go to a nice lake to spend the day there with our dogs. We would like to go to Lake Hartwell because it's only an hour away and seems to be big enough to have some areas with public access. Are there any nice beaches or areas where we can hang out and go for a swim with our dogs.
If you have other suggestions beside Lake Hartwell feel free to let us know.

Thank you very much
God bless ya'll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 06:36 AM

49 posts, read 102,933 times
I would like to find a lake to take my dogs also. There is a really nice dog park in Cleveland park. My dogs love it there, but my Spaniel is more of a runner than social.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:49 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Lake Hartwell's "public" access sites are mostly city/county/state parks (although there are many boat ramps for boat access all over the lake). I would think (but am not totally sure) that there are pet restrictions at most parks. Tougaloo State Park on the GA side has a nice public beach with facilities and picnic pavillions, etc. There's also the Lake Hartwell State Recreation Area on the SC side at I-85 Exit 2.

You can rent pontoon boats and ski boats at Harbor Light Marina just over the GA state line off I-85. I don't know if they restrict pets on those boats, but that way you'd have direct access to the many beaches along Lake Hartwell's shores (all Lake Hartwell shoreline is technically Corps of Engineers property, so you can legally beach anywhere). I know most private boats on the lake seem to have at least one dog onboard!

Table Rock State Park NW of Greenville has a small lake with a swimming beach and paddle boat & canoe rentals. Again, not sure what the pet policy is.

Hope this provides some useful information - good luck!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:25 PM

4 posts, read 13,338 times
The Milliken properties in Spartanburg have some really nice ponds on the back of the property. If not too crowded, a nice little place to romp.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:18 PM

31 posts, read 45,159 times
I found this thread while looking on Google for places my Amstaff could go swimming when we move to the Upstate in January. Has anyone found a nice place that is safe from aggressive wildlife (water moccasins, bears etc, lol) and friendly enough for families with dogs?
Thanks in advance

Old 10-29-2013, 10:58 AM

723 posts, read 1,149,887 times
Since you posted your inquiry in two different forum threads, I will cross-post my reply as well.

I hope you will love it here in the Upstate. You definitely need to visit the DuPont State Forest near Cedar Mountain, North Carolina, just a scant one-hour drive north of Greenville. A blog on the CarolinaMountainDog.com Web site accurately reports that "DuPont State Forest, located between Hendersonville and Brevard, NC, is a hiker, biker, and dog owner's paradise. This 10,000-acre forest has numerous outstanding trails (some of the best mountain biking trails anywhere), waterfalls, lakes, and dense, cool forest. It definitely qualifies as a premier Canine Cruisin' destination..." Dogs are allowed if on leash or "under the control of the owner or some other person." In other words, if your pooch responds to voice commands, it does not need to be tethered. The same Web site mentions a number of other dog-friendly recreational areas in North and South Carolina, some of which have, or are near, water features. See also hikewithyourdog: DuPont State Forest

Old 10-30-2013, 08:05 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricamphibian View Post
Since you posted your inquiry in two different forum threads, I will cross-post my reply as well.

I hope you will love it here in the Upstate. You definitely need to visit the DuPont State Forest near Cedar Mountain, North Carolina, just a scant one-hour drive north of Greenville. A blog on the CarolinaMountainDog.com Web site accurately reports that "DuPont State Forest, located between Hendersonville and Brevard, NC, is a hiker, biker, and dog owner's paradise. This 10,000-acre forest has numerous outstanding trails (some of the best mountain biking trails anywhere), waterfalls, lakes, and dense, cool forest. It definitely qualifies as a premier Canine Cruisin' destination..." Dogs are allowed if on leash or "under the control of the owner or some other person." In other words, if your pooch responds to voice commands, it does not need to be tethered. The same Web site mentions a number of other dog-friendly recreational areas in North and South Carolina, some of which have, or are near, water features. See also hikewithyourdog: DuPont State Forest
We bumped into this park when we went to Caesar Head and really enjoyed it. The falls are gorgeous and you don't have to hike too far to get to them. We didn't know you could bring dogs but there were dogs there swimming. There were people on horses as well. I definitely recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area