Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:40 PM

9,503 posts, read 9,828,252 times

Advertisements

Since I wasn't allowed to talk about other supermarkets in the Bi-Lo's New Look post, I'll continue the point I was trying to make here.

What I was saying before being deleted, was that instead of Bi-Lo trying to reform itself with just some fresh paint and signs, maybe it could step out of the box a bit and mimic chains like Wegmans. That chain has many interesting aspects such as a large assortment of fresh ready to eat meals and even free babysitting.

I was trying to tell you all about another small chain where my parents live in NE Ohio. Buehler's has about a dozen stores and what I really like about them is that they offer an online ordering service, then you go to the store, drive up and they will load the groceries in your car and your on your way in about 5 minutes. No fuss, no hassle. It's only $8 a trip or $24/mo unlimited trips. There is also a deli restaurant inside plus they sell hand dipped ice cream cones for $1.

There really isn't a big difference from Bi-Lo, Publix, Ingles, Food Lion and Bloom in our area. Something like I mentioned above could draw more customers to Bi-Lo and keep them out of any future financial troubles.

And to keep this thread on topic, please only discuss the supermarkets in listed in this Wiki and no others: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

(this post will be deleted in 3....2...1)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 03:51 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,844,961 times
and what I had posted was a link to an article on Wegmans flagship store : Pittsford Wegmans a lot of larger chains are trying to go upscale with some of their stores, adding restaurants and artisan bakerys, larger cheese shops and delis, I think it would go over well in this area, frankly "super bilo" doesn't cut it for me

@USNRET04 I tried to give you rep points, apparently I need to spread them around

Old 10-27-2010, 06:32 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,188,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Wegmans.
Heck, just get Wegmans down here to take over some of the stores - that would be a wonderful solution instead of them doing over their stores. In fact, they can take either the Bi Lo in Greer, or the one closer to Lyman, I'm between them both

Wegmans is so unique. To have a sub station, a chocolate station, pizza station, etc. etc. etc. No one can touch Wegmans. We can pray, wish, desire, can't we???

We rallyed for a TJ's, how bout a Wegmans!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:12 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
We rallyed for a TJ's, how bout a Wegmans!
Hey - it could happen! You'd think a company with unique features like that (or at least local copy-cats) would be more widespread around the country than they are.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:22 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,472,023 times
Bi-Lo was a nice store 20 years ago when their only competition was Ingles and Winn-Dixie. But since then, we've seen a lot of great supermarkets enter the market. With Whole Foods, Earth Fare, Trader Joe's, Fresh Market, Publix, and Bloom it seems that Bi-Lo has lost a lot of the middle and upper class shoppers. I don't see that changing, even if they do a remodel of their stores or create more Super Bi-Lo stores. It's not a bad chain - some are obviously better than others - but it's not your place for high-end stuff. I think that's okay. There is a need for Bi-Lo, Food Lion, and Ingles.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:00 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,102,279 times
Again, the assault from the non-locals continues.....

"Bring Wegmans here, blah blah".

May I suggest YOU go to where they are? Kthxbai.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:31 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,188,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post

Quote:
The ones I've found say it's still for sale...but I'm with you. I would prefer to see Kroger come back to the Upstate. Then we'd have a good old fashioned price war here vs. Publix like they do in Atlanta.

Interesting that you feel there's an "assault" from supposedly
"NON LOCALS" for wanting to have more options for grocery chains.
Yet, you suggest the same thing in referring you'd like to see Kroger come back here. Do you have to be born and raised here to be able to wish better for a city that you live in? Isn't that calling the kettle black? You want a Cincinatti based company to come back, but others get a beating for wishing a Rochester based company to come here?

Didn't BI-LO sell stores to Kroger years ago, only to have them sold back to Bi-Lo when Kroger pulled out, and then BI-LO ultimately closed the stores anyhow?

I'm moving from a state where there is NO Wegmans, no where even remotely close to a Wegmans unless you consider a 20hr drive close. I've been in their stores and have never been to a store like it. I'm moving from a state where there are no Trader Joes, a 15 hour drive is the closet from where I was. But I've been to multiple Trader Joes in multiple states over many, many years and wished vocally that they have a store where I lived. When I saw there was a possibility of Greenville getting a TJ's I absolutely rallyed behind others who wanted it here. So what's so wrong about that? Has it hurt the economy by creating jobs, occupying square footage and paying rent, bringing more business from others driving in from other areas who WISHED they too had a Trader Joes?

Publix is a Florida company. I'm sure many who were not born and raised here that knew about the chain wished they were here and those who visited Publix elsewhere may have wished the same. In 1993 the chain opened it's first store in SC. Has having Publix open in Greenville affected you personally?

I don't understand why you're so upset about something like "wishing" that a place like Wegmans, or any other store located elsewhere would come to the Upstate. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a magic wand that can make all their wishes come true. Maybe you work for Bi-Lo and are a little worried?

Old 10-28-2010, 06:01 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,139,471 times
Quote:

Well, I am a local and like what I am reading about Wegmans. I really hate BiLo and would like to see some new stores come in.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:02 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,844,961 times
Quote:

why does this have to be a local/nonlocal thing? they are the best grocery store chain in the country, we don't just like them because they are from the north.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:00 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,102,279 times
So many people, wishing to change what is here. Sad, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area