Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:20 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times

Advertisements

...does Delta Airlines have flights to Columbia, Asheville, Charleston, and Charlotte from Atlanta late at night around 11pm but not Greenville-Spartanburg? This caused me to have to drive to Atlanta last night to pick up my dad at the airport there and not get back into Greenville until 2am in the morning. If it's not expensive fares at GSP, it's sucky connections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 09:25 AM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Its called the curse of southwest airlines.....

Old 12-13-2010, 09:29 AM

98 posts, read 203,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
...does Delta Airlines have flights to Columbia, Asheville, Charleston, and Charlotte from Atlanta late at night around 11pm but not Greenville-Spartanburg? This caused me to have to drive to Atlanta last night to pick up my dad at the airport there and not get back into Greenville until 2am in the morning. If it's not expensive fares at GSP, it's sucky connections.
FYI, no guarantees of getting in on the last flight into GSP - I travel quite frequently and have had 'maintenance' issues on flights more than once usually thru US Air/CLT however I hear this happens from time to time on Delta as well...NEVER fly in to GSP on the last flight.
GSP, which I always fly out of b/c it's a breeze and too simple, is a joke if you are trying to get in on the last flight in...Airlines would rather cancel and put you up in a hotel than fly a half full plane at 11PM.
Sad but true...

Old 12-13-2010, 09:32 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
This topic is a moot point to me. As a business traveler, I NEVER take the last flight of the day from any city. You are simply bending over and asking to be.....you know.

Flights could end at 7:00 PM and I'd be happy.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
This topic is a moot point to me. As a business traveler, I NEVER take the last flight of the day from any city. You are simply bending over and asking to be.....you know.

Flights could end at 7:00 PM and I'd be happy.
He didn't take the last flight to begin with. The one from SLC-ATL got delayed a few hours which caused him to miss his original connection from ATL-GSP. He had to be to work this morning also.

All I want know is why these other metro areas (some of them smaller than GSP) have late-night Delta flights from Atlanta but we don't?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
He didn't take the last flight to begin with. The one from SLC-ATL got delayed a few hours which caused him to miss his original connection from ATL-GSP. He had to be to work this morning also.

All I want know is why these other metro areas (some of them smaller than GSP) have late-night Delta flights from Atlanta but we don't?
GSP has a flight from Atlanta that leaves at 10:00 PM. All flights in a late evening bank can't leave from a hub at the same time....physically impossible. Actually, the earlier in a bank of flights you can leave the better, less connection time (down time). AVL last flight of the day is 9:52 and CAE has a last flight at 10:53. Within that hour bank, all flights go out. Does that one hour really make a difference? Not to Delta and not to 99% of their passengers.

Looking at the schedule, I don't see any "late night" flights to other metros. Last flights out all leave between 9:45 and 11:00.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
GSP has a flight from Atlanta that leaves at 10:00 PM. All flights in a late evening bank can't leave from a hub at the same time....physically impossible. Actually, the earlier in a bank of flights you can leave the better, less connection time (down time). AVL last flight of the day is 9:52 and CAE has a last flight at 10:53. Within that hour bank, all flights go out. Does that one hour really make a difference? Not to Delta and not to 99% of their passengers.

Looking at the schedule, I don't see any "late night" flights to other metros. Last flights out all leave between 9:45 and 11:00.
What I mean by late-night is ones that leave around 11pm like you see to CAE. I wish GSP's left at that time so people delayed from other places going to ATL have a better chance of making that flight than having to wait around until next morning, renting a car that night, or having somebody drive 3 hours to the airport to pick them up. That one hour makes a huge difference when you just barely miss your connection.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
What I mean by late-night is ones that leave around 11pm like you see to CAE. I wish GSP's left at that time so people delayed from other places going to ATL have a better chance of making that flight than having to wait around until next morning, renting a car that night, or having somebody drive 3 hours to the airport to pick them up. That one hour makes a huge difference when you just barely miss your connection.
10:00 or 10:53....I personally don't see a difference. I say just get rid of airlines totally and create Star Trek type transporters.....ON DEMAND TRAVEL.

But....what about people going to CAE on the 10:53 who get delayed and don't get in until 11:00, would they then need a 12:00 Midnight flight? Delays will always make you say "there needs to be another flight". Delays aren't pretty....they are a part of travel.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
10:00 or 10:53....I personally don't see a difference. I say just get rid of airlines totally and create Star Trek type transporters.....ON DEMAND TRAVEL.

But....what about people going to CAE on the 10:53 who get delayed and don't get in until 11:00, would they then need a 12:00 Midnight flight? Delays will always make you say "there needs to be another flight". Delays aren't pretty....they are a part of travel.
People flying to CAE don't deserve to arrive on time to begin with. I kid, I kid. Star Trek travel?

Old 12-13-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
People flying to CAE don't deserve to arrive on time to begin with. I kid, I kid.
LOL! Just think of it this way....most CAE and AVL passengers will soon be going through GSP when Southwest starts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area