Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 02:26 PM

156 posts, read 356,482 times

Advertisements

We're entertaining company this weekend with a 1 year old and would like to dine downtown for dinner. Not too casual (like the hot dog place, pizza place or subway) but not too upscale.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 03:04 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
Well, there's Carolina Ale House. There were lots of families there when we were there during Christmas week. Otherwise, there's also Overlook Grill at Falls Park (which is also downtown). Maybe Liberty Taproom at Fluor Field in the West End as well.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:38 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,796,574 times
I'd suggest the Blue Ridge Brewery.

Stay away from Overlook Grill. I think it may be the worst restaurant downtown.

Last edited by Art123; 01-04-2011 at 03:55 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 03:51 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,866,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyk298 View Post
We're entertaining company this weekend with a 1 year old and would like to dine downtown for dinner. Not too casual (like the hot dog place, pizza place or subway) but not too upscale.

Suggestions?
Carolina Ale House
Smoke on the Water
Mellow Mushroom (very kid friendly)
Liberty Taproom
Overlook Grill (best in warm weather so you can sit outside)

Old 01-04-2011, 06:21 PM

241 posts, read 387,126 times
Default .02

chicora alley
cantinflas
coffee underground (get a booth in the back room)

Old 01-04-2011, 06:39 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,386,943 times
Here's a plug for Trio.

I assume by "the pizza place," you were referring to Mellow Mushroom -- or perhaps Bellacino's, Bertolo's, Barley's, or Luna Rosa? There are multiple pizza options in downtown (including my plug, Trio), so I'm simply hoping for clarification.

I like the Smoke on the Water recommendation.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:51 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,611,482 times
My first rule with any guests (especially out-of-town) is to avoid any chains. This would eliminate Carolina Ale House and Mellow Mushroom. It's a shame that I have not heard one decent review about Overlook Grill - that's a fantastic location.

My initial recommendations:
Sassafras Southern Bistro - this restaurant really highlights SC's cuisine, the prices are decent, and I don't think a one year old would be out of place (I saw a large family with kids the last time I was there). You need to try their shrimp and grits.

Mary Beth's is another very good establishment on McBee very close to downtown. Lack's some of the ambiance of other downtown restaurants but the food is great.

Others:
Barley's. I know you don't prefer a pizza place, but it's local (independently owned now, split from the original Asheville store), and has a fantastic beer selection. Decent pizza, calzones, and others. Blue Ridge Brewing Company and Liberty Tap Room both look interesting but I've heard mixed reviews on both.

Check out Upstatefoodie (and, of course, Tripadvisor) for other ideas.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:13 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
My first rule with any guests (especially out-of-town) is to avoid any chains. This would eliminate Carolina Ale House and Mellow Mushroom.Upstatefoodie (and, of course, Tripadvisor) for other ideas.
However, these are hardly chains in the "Red Lobster right off the interstate" mold.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:32 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,386,943 times
Another recommendation is Soby's. It is a bit upscale, but not to an extreme level.

Love the Sassafras recommenation.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:51 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,611,482 times
Upstate, I agree with you - both Mellow Mushroom (MM) and Carolina Ale House are hardly national chains (although MM is getting close). MM now has 23 locations in both North and South Carolina. Usually with any rapid expansion, the atmosphere becomes more "corporate" and food quality/service tanks.

I must confess that MM is very kid friendly and the pizza (at least here at the Greenville location) matches or surpasses Barley's (my opinion only).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area