Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:27 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer71 View Post
MarcAntony67:

I am not now in NJ but I recently moved from NJ in 2009. I lived in Princeton for 7 years. I actually loved NJ and would never have left had I not finally become beyond fed up with the cost of living.

I, too, am now considering (well, not really considering, I am PLANNING a move to Greenville this Sept) and I just wanted to warn you that you will need to adjust your mindset to the salaries in SC. I am absolutely positive you are nearly making double in NJ what you will make in SC. But, look at the housing prices down in SC, they are so low compared with NJ they nearly seem free. Also, Greenville is pretty small. Depending on where you are from in NJ you are not going to find all the different metro areas and easy access to major cities like NYC and Philly.

since I am not a native Greenville person (yet) I cant offer more specifics. But from my own research I have realized the pay is WAY lower and there are LESS jobs because the population is so much smaller than almost any place in NJ. But as long as you adjust your mindset I think living is Greenville is much more bearable and stress-free than living in NJ.
I'm willing to bet that it's a great larger than you think. Don't be fooled by city population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 08:02 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellenbosley View Post
I am almost finished my bachelors degree. My future hubby is in law school. Currently, we are living in New England and contemplating a move to North or South Carolina in a couple years to plant our roots, but with the economy being the way it is, I'm worried employment will be difficult to find, especially for an entry level attorney and I am planning to start my own business. I suppose I'm looking for reassurance or warnings now lol
Been there, done it in Greenville....been back home in NYC for over a year now!
Move to Greenville (or any part of SC for that matter) if you are:
Retired
Work from home and can live anywhere
Already have a definite job offer

Otherwise my advice is not to move there. Don't believe the hype!!
Greenville suffers from the same issues that a lot of small southern cities suffer from....limited career opportunities for those who are looking for upward mobility and a strange economy that I have never experienced until I lived there. Also do not listen to the "cheaper cost of living" nonsense that people use to convince you to move south. Go in the supermarkets in SC and the food costs just as much as states in the Northeast....utility (gas, electric etc.) bills also cost just as much as the Northeast. The only thing cheap in the south is the cost of housing.

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 01-30-2011 at 08:26 PM..

Old 01-30-2011, 08:38 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
Ahh NYB, right on cue...
Although I appreciate some of his (?) opposing viewpoints, most responses are just loaded with vitriol. I wonder if he is experiencing "Snow Rage" (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/new_jersey/endless-storms-causing-snow-rage-20110130 - broken link)? By the way, it was sunny and 70 degrees today in Greenville

Old 01-31-2011, 12:36 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
The only thing cheap in the south is the cost of housing.
Really? Since most most of your comparisons involve NYC, check this out:

New York City Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in New York
Vs.
http://www.Greenvillegasprices.com/index.aspx?mwo=1

Broadway Show Tickets
Vs.
Broadway's "Wicked" Moves Into Peace Center - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville (http://www.wyff4.com/news/22347113/detail.html - broken link)

New York Philharmonic: Beethoven And Shostakovich at Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center in New York on February 11, 2011
Vs.
Greenville Symphony Orchestra :: Concerts & Tickets :: Love Stories
Disclaimer: I completely understand the differences in musical quality between these two fine organizations, but they both successfully achieve similar goals within their respective communities.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:43 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,467,794 times
Quote:
Also do not listen to the "cheaper cost of living" nonsense that people use to convince you to move south. Go in the supermarkets in SC and the food costs just as much as states in the Northeast....utility (gas, electric etc.) bills also cost just as much as the Northeast.
That is simply not true. I currently live in the Northeast, and I can say for a fact that you are wrong. Cost of living here is much higher than in Greenville, and that includes groceries, gas, and utilities - in addition to housing.

Try again.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:27 AM

279 posts, read 589,633 times
I can concur with that. I'm in the Northeast now and EVERYTHING costs more. Utilities are more. I've already paid about $200 THIS MONTH to have my driveway plowed out because of all the snow (which I love love love by the way, but I am also a distance learning student that is currently unemployed... thus, I don't HAVE TO go out in it if I don't want to) Rent/Mortgages are higher. There is no state tax here in NH, but other NE states sure have it and even in NH, the property tax and food tax make up for what you don't pay elsewhere. Groceries definitely cost more here too, as does gas. Can anyone weigh in more on Charlotte and what that area is like? Also, is Wilmington a "city/metro area" on it's own or is there something else nearby? I would like to settle in the Wilmington, NC area most likely if I can't swing SC... would it be a trek to another larger area like Charlotte for him to gain employment (since I assume it would be easier for an attorney to find work in a more metro area than a smaller city).

Old 01-31-2011, 06:00 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
I've only been to Wilmington a couple of times, but from what I saw, it seems to have most "necessities"; most of the "big box" stores are represented, a charming downtown and lovely waterfront. It's also a fairly short drive down the coast to the Grand Strand (Myrtle Beach, SC area).

Old 01-31-2011, 06:02 AM

279 posts, read 589,633 times
My prospective business partner already lives there.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:02 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
What we have : Beautiful mountains nearby and to get to many states surrounding us, is a short drive.

Car insurance : HALF of what I paid . Example $127 a month where I came from . Here $ 58 a month

Gas : Cheaper here . I would say by 50 cents a gallon. When I moved here it was $ 2.18 a gallon and where I came from it was running $ 2.60. ( This was in later 2009 )

Rent : Where I came from a 1 bedroom in a decent area ( with W/D and ceiling fans ) was $ 900 a month. Here you can get a nice place for $ 500-600 and if you want less amenties it can be had for high 400's.

Houses : Where I came from, a house ran you $ 200,000 and up. Here you can get a house for $ 100,000 ( tweak it up or down depending on what you are looking for ) ..

Old 01-31-2011, 12:35 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Been there, done it in Greenville....been back home in NYC for over a year now!
Move to Greenville (or any part of SC for that matter) if you are:
Retired
Work from home and can live anywhere
Already have a definite job offer

Otherwise my advice is not to move there. Don't believe the hype!!
Greenville suffers from the same issues that a lot of small southern cities suffer from....limited career opportunities for those who are looking for upward mobility and a strange economy that I have never experienced until I lived there. Also do not listen to the "cheaper cost of living" nonsense that people use to convince you to move south. Go in the supermarkets in SC and the food costs just as much as states in the Northeast....utility (gas, electric etc.) bills also cost just as much as the Northeast. The only thing cheap in the south is the cost of housing.

Amazing! tell us about the difference between NY City property taxes and Greenville SC property taxes. What is your price of housing per sq. ft.? And what were your gas, electric, heating bills in Greenville SC vs. NYCity ? How about your automobile insurance and auto taxes? What are you payiing for gas for the car? $3.25/gal. ? SC, about $2.85/gal. last time I filled up there at Spinx last week.

Food costs about the same, no matter what state you live in, it's one of the few commodities not controlled by the dag nabbit gubmit.

But I can understand how you would love NYCity, no problem there. I am also from the northeast, and love NYCity, but no way could ever afford to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area