Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 12:05 PM

7 posts, read 13,487 times

Advertisements

I am interested in a property in the Upstate, but the seller has no survey of her land, only a very old unmeasured plat from an old county map. I walked it, and know it isnt' what she is advertising!

My Q is why on earth does a potential buyer have to be forced to pay for a survey, and if the results are less, the contract is void and you are stuck with a useless survey!

The seller refuses to compensate or concession in any way. Wouldn't a seller be held liable for misrepresenting the truth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 03:13 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,138,373 times
Check the county GIS where the propety is located. While the GIS is not a substitute for a survey it will show a reasonable layout of the property and provide you with enough information to decide on a survey or not.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:16 PM

7 posts, read 13,487 times
Thanks, I tried an online measuring tool over the acreage, and it came out at best (over measuring) 8 acres, on target: 7.25. Not 9. So I haven't pursued it any further....

Old 03-10-2011, 05:58 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,185,127 times
The house we purchased recently was listed to have .82 acre. I wanted a survey due to the fact that originally, the owner that had the house built had it on 1.43 acre. I knew it wasn't right because the other lot that they sold off and built a home on was listed as having .66 acre. Didn't add up, obviously, but that's what was on the public/county records and that's what the listing agent went by.

I had a survey done and was only going to have the measurements unless something unusual came up, then I would do the full survey, pictures and all. It was, of course, a .77 lot - the difference in size would be enough to fit a nice size house on. Owners wouldn't go down in price, said "It is what it is." But I have to say, I was happy to do the survey. I found out that my driveway is 1" away from my neighbors lot. The lot is a very odd shape, so having this done was definitely helpful in knowing my "boundries."

I chalk this up to the cost of buying a property. The house we eventually purchased was the 3rd house we put a contract on. On all three properties I paid to have a home inspection and a termite inspection done, along with a chimney inspection. The two we didn't go through with due to problems found, the money I paid out, was to me, good money since if I hadn't done so, I would have been one unhappy camper in the long run.

Don't be cheap on things like this, in the long run, it's worth it. When making such a large purchase sometimes you have to put out some money - you'll get it back in the long run, over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area