Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:18 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times

Advertisements

If so, is it just a regular license or do you need a special one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 09:17 AM

28 posts, read 66,731 times
You should probably call DMV to find out for sure. But as I remember it, if the scooter is under 50cc you do not need anything more than a regular drivers license. Over 50cc and I think you have to get a motorcycle endorsement on the license.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:34 AM

179 posts, read 462,676 times
I don't think you even need the regular driver's license. Isn't that why people who've had DUIs and had their license taken away drive scooters for transportation? Again, check with the DMV to make sure.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:26 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,912 times
I don't even think you need a drivers license for under 50cc, I think you just go and buy a plate from the dmv

Old 06-30-2011, 12:27 PM

78 posts, read 245,700 times
From: S.C. Code of Laws Title 56 Chapter 1 Driver's License - www.scstatehouse.gov-LPITS (http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t56c001.htm - broken link)

SECTION 56-1-1710. Meaning of "moped".
For purposes of this article, "moped" means a cycle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power or without pedals and with a motor of not more than fifty cubic centimeters which produces not to exceed two brake horsepower and which is not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed in excess of thirty miles an hour on level ground. If an internal combustion engine is used, the moped must have a power drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged.

SECTION 56-1-1720. Licensing requirement; minimum age; violations and penalties.
Until January 1, 1987, no person under the age of twelve may operate a moped on the public highways and streets of this State. After December 31, 1986, to operate a moped on the public highways and streets of this State, a person must possess a valid driver's license issued under Article 1 of this chapter or a valid moped operator's license issued under this article, except that a person whose driver's license has been suspended for a period of six months or less is not required to obtain a moped operator's license or possess a valid driver's license during the period of suspension. From January 1, 1987, to December 31, 1987, the Department shall not issue a moped operator's license to any person who is less than thirteen years of age. After December 31, 1987, the Department of Motor Vehicles shall not issue a moped operator's license to any person who is less than fourteen years of age.
Any person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction of a first offense, must be fined not less than twenty-five dollars nor more than fifty dollars and, upon conviction of a second or subsequent offense, must be fined not less than fifty dollars nor more than one hundred dollars. The Department may not issue a beginner's permit or special restricted license as provided for in Sections 56-1-50 and 56-1-180 to any person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of operating a moped on the public highways and roads of this State while under age, until that person is at least fifteen and one-half years of age.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:01 PM

10,100 posts, read 7,771,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amator View Post
I don't think you even need the regular driver's license. Isn't that why people who've had DUIs and had their license taken away drive scooters for transportation? Again, check with the DMV to make sure.
That's what I thought. I've always heard of them as Liquor-sicles.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:31 AM

2 posts, read 16,056 times
Nope you need a driver's license from what I understand, which is posted above I believe. The reason people with DUIs tend to ride them, or at least so I've heard recently, is because you cant get a DUI if you are on one. Some loophole in the law in which you can only get a public drunk, or something similar, if you are DUI on a moped. I think there is some movement to rectify that law, however.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatt View Post
Nope you need a driver's license from what I understand, which is posted above I believe. The reason people with DUIs tend to ride them, or at least so I've heard recently, is because you cant get a DUI if you are on one. Some loophole in the law in which you can only get a public drunk, or something similar, if you are DUI on a moped. I think there is some movement to rectify that law, however.
You may be right about not getting a DUI on one, I'm not sure. With regard to needing a license, the information I found states: "a person must possess a valid driver's license ... or a valid moped operator's license ..., except that a person whose driver's license has been suspended for a period of six months or less is not required to obtain a moped operator's license or possess a valid driver's license during the period of suspension." I think this exception is one key reason mopeds are so popular with DUI recipients.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:25 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,912 times
that seems pretty ridiculous, so people who want to ride a moped just for fun or because they need it to get around are required, but drunks aren't?

Old 07-01-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
that seems pretty ridiculous, so people who want to ride a moped just for fun or because they need it to get around are required, but drunks aren't?
It does look like there may be a bill in the works that will make some changes to the law regarding mopeds: (Bill allows moped drivers to be charged with DUI : News : MidlandsConnect.com).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area