Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,677 times

Advertisements

I am new to the area and have befriend a young, single mother of 2. She recently became unemployed and did quite well until her husband left her for someone else. She has kept her bills paid up until now and needs some help. Being new to the area, I have no clue as to what is available out there. She is need of assistance paying a power bill and she could use some assistance with restocking her food. She has applied for Food Stamps; however, they are in no hurry to get her processed.

Where would a person go in this area? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 06:14 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpsonvilleNana2011 View Post
I am new to the area and have befriend a young, single mother of 2. She recently became unemployed and did quite well until her husband left her for someone else. She has kept her bills paid up until now and needs some help. Being new to the area, I have no clue as to what is available out there. She is need of assistance paying a power bill and she could use some assistance with restocking her food. She has applied for Food Stamps; however, they are in no hurry to get her processed.

Where would a person go in this area? Thanks!!
There is a program called "Share" on Pendleton street in downtown Greenville......it is located a few blocks down from the unemployment office. They help pay utility bills.....your friend will need to call them to get an appointment to go in. For food there are several pantries in the area that give out boxes of food.....be sure to ask them for a list that will show you where all of the pantries are located in Greenville, Mauldin and Simpsonville. One of those pantries is also on Pendleton street about 1 block from the unemployment office. If I am remembering correctly it is called United Ministries......your friend will need to arrive early (around 5 am) for that particular pantry.......they only take a certain number of people from the front of the line.....after that they tell everyone else to come back another day. Your friend will need to go prepared with her social security card.....they will ask for it when she arrives. United ministries only allows people to come there once every 30 days for food.

Yeah the department of social services office in Greenville could care less about expediting a food stamp application......had a friend in Greenville who lost a job and told me that they drag their feet and don't care if people starve!

Good luck....

Old 09-12-2011, 06:28 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,007,024 times
I would suggest the Golden Strip Emergency Relief Agency. They are located on Howard Drive near Bryson Elementary School.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:33 PM

807 posts, read 1,785,078 times
United Christian Ministries may be able to help as well.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:30 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,185,127 times
Greer Relief.

About Us | Greer Relief - A United Way Supported Agency

I've also passed numerous churchs that have food banks on Saturdays.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,677 times
Thank you all for your responses. At least I have some direction for her now. We are going to work on getting ahold of some of these places first thing in the morning.

If she can get on her feet, she'll do fine. Thank you again for your help.l

Old 09-13-2011, 11:22 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpsonvilleNana2011 View Post
Thank you all for your responses. At least I have some direction for her now. We are going to work on getting ahold of some of these places first thing in the morning.

If she can get on her feet, she'll do fine. Thank you again for your help.l
You should be commended for being a good friend and helping someone in need. We need more of that in this country (like it used to be).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area