Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:12 PM

45 posts, read 81,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Sonrise,

Your (lack of) logic is so hard to follow sometimes, and ignorance on this subject already illustrated, I shouldn't even bother getting involved further, but...

Voter ID laws suppress voter turnout. Believe it or not, there are hundreds of thousands of people in this state who are eligible to vote, who have no drivers license or state id. These people tend to be elderly and/or poor.

Poor people, statistically speaking in this state, are more likely to be black.

It's harder for poor and elderly people to actually get to the DMV. It's harder for poor and elderly people to afford the fees to get a photo id. In some states, you need an id to get a birth certificate, which you need to get an id which makes it difficult to get either. So, statistically, a voter photo id law alienates quite a few folk to solve a problem that doesn't really exist (voter fraud). It also, as already mentioned, effectively puts a tax on voting, which has been deemed unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. Which is why very reasonable people have very real concerns about the constitutionality of voter id laws. Some states are trying to get around this by providing free state-issued id's.

Could you point me to any cases of actual voter fraud in this country? (Hint: voter fraud is not voter registration fraud. You can try to register Mickey Mouse or a dead person as a voter because you are being paid by how many registrations you get, but that's a whole different thing than someone actually casting a vote as Mickey Mouse or while dead).

So what's the point of the new law? The same as it was for a whole slew of voter laws that have passed in the South throughout history (something you have clearly very little knowledge of): to suppress voter turnout. The fewer people show up to vote, the more likely GOP candidates will win. Or at least that's the logic.

South Carolina's history is so bad about suppressing voter turnout with such laws, that we are required to have all voter law changes pre-approved by the DOJ, something that I don't believe has occurred with the new law here.

Would you address the factual errors you have already made in you previous post? Why should I believe anything you write when you can't get the most basic facts correct?
Thank you for this thoughtful, well-informed explanation of the many valid reasons to be concerned about the voter id law. I completely agree with you.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:40 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,100,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribe Pride View Post
Thank you for this thoughtful, well-informed explanation of the many valid reasons to be concerned about the voter id law. I completely agree with you.
Are you as equally concerned with id requirements for the purchase of alcohol and cigarettes? After all wouldn't that create beer drinker and cigarette smoker suppression? Bottom line: anyone who thinks that poor black people are less capable of getting an id than any other group of people is practicing soft bigotry. I think that poor black people are just as able and capable of getting an id as anyone else, you and Art do not. That saddens me and tells me that we still have a ways to go when it comes to treating everyone equally.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:15 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
This thread has nothing to do with cigarettes or alcohol. But it has plenty to do with history, particularly black history.

Last edited by linicx; 12-23-2011 at 03:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area