Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 03:14 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Florida? I am in Orlando currently where it's in the mid 40's and windy. Tonight it is supposed to get down into the 20's. It doesn't even feel like Florida in Florida.
I was just going to say if it makes you feel any better, it's very cold here. Although, by the end of the week, it will warm back up.

I think it's normal to be homesick. I think the OP has to give it more time. I really think it's best to get out and talk to as many people as you can. Try to make friends which is very important. What about doing activities that you enjoy? You could meet people that way. If you like a sport, join a team. Meetup.com is a good resource.

Why did you leave FL and what part?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 03:34 PM

26 posts, read 54,221 times
Default The Reason I Left FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I was just going to say if it makes you feel any better, it's very cold here. Although, by the end of the week, it will warm back up.

I think it's normal to be homesick. I think the OP has to give it more time. I really think it's best to get out and talk to as many people as you can. Try to make friends which is very important. What about doing activities that you enjoy? You could meet people that way. If you like a sport, join a team. Meetup.com is a good resource.

Why did you leave FL and what part?
We are from the West Coast beach area of Florida.

I left Florida because I have lived there my entire life and wanted to experience a new "way" of life. My husband and I have visited North and South Carolina a few times and really enjoyed ourselves. On one visit we purchased a home and are currently renovating it. The only problem is that my husband is still in Florida (he has a business) and I am here with two of our three children. : (. So I guess one HUGE reason for being homesick is that I'm missing my best friend.

I run *solo sport* and I haven't had any luck finding any runners to partner up with. I might try the website that someone else suggested.

I.D.K. My husband keeps saying that business is great in Florida which really makes me question what will happen when he and my other child move up in May. My son wanted to finish out his eigth grade year in FL.

Then came the cold weather. I knew it got cold but I guess I wasn't thinking about it staying cold. When we visited and it was cold we were eating icsicles in the mountains but that was a few days long and then we got to go back to warm sunny Florida and shorts and flip flops. I didn't really anticipate months of cold. *Brrrr*

Now we are considering just finishing up the renovations and coming up for a couple weeks at a time for vacations.

Everyone's comments were very nice. Thank you.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:45 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearnaked View Post
Then came the cold weather. I knew it got cold but I guess I wasn't thinking about it staying cold. When we visited and it was cold we were eating icsicles in the mountains but that was a few days long and then we got to go back to warm sunny Florida and shorts and flip flops. I didn't really anticipate months of cold. *Brrrr*
Bear in mind, the highs will be back in the mid-60s this weekend! It doesn't usually stay frigidly cold for very long at a time. And spring here is GORGEOUS!

But bundle the kids up in the morning... It's supposed to be 19 in the morning!

Old 01-03-2012, 03:47 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
Any time you move it is a culture shock. whether it is across the state or across the country. It you are in G'ville you will find Trader Joe's, Apple and other familar stores. You can bet most everyting else will be entirely different.

Moving is never cracked up to be what you think it is. It is quite normal to compare what was to what is -at least for the first few weeks. .

You really only have two choices. When you awaken in the morning you can chose to greet the day as the first day of a new adventure. Or you can chose to continue to live in the past and pine for Florida while you make yourself homesick and remain friendless. The choice is yours; you own it. No one can make it for you.

G'ville is a very decen't place with some very nice people who live there. And it is not impossible to go to the ocean and walk on the beach even it if is cold. I was in Orlando one winter and it was colder than snot for three months. But I left 24" of snow behind so I was not unhappy until I opened the front door and found a Copperhead ready to strike.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:31 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,152 times
It gets better (I think). I've been here 3 months and love it, but miss home at times. It's hard when you are renting to settle in. Also, it's tough to make friends right away also. No matter how nice people are here, it's a different state and that takes some getting used to.
Hang in there - I think it will improve.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
It gets better (I think). I've been here 3 months and love it, but miss home at times. It's hard when you are renting to settle in. Also, it's tough to make friends right away also. No matter how nice people are here, it's a different state and that takes some getting used to.
Hang in there - I think it will improve.
Yes, regarding renting I think I will be a lot happier once the renovations are done and we are in our own house. My landlord is great though which makes it easier. I'm leaning toward going back to FL while my daughter is on spring break and seeing how things compare.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Bear in mind, the highs will be back in the mid-60s this weekend! It doesn't usually stay frigidly cold for very long at a time. And spring here is GORGEOUS!

But bundle the kids up in the morning... It's supposed to be 19 in the morning!
I will! Omgsh! What was the windchill today? Like 15?! Thanks : )

Old 01-03-2012, 05:52 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearnaked View Post
I will! Omgsh! What was the windchill today? Like 15?! Thanks : )
I know how hard it is to be doing this without your husband. When I moved to FL, it was my 2 young kids and myself. My husband had to go back to PA to finish work for 3 months. I think this is a big part of the problem.

After living in FL for 11 years, I realized that I can tolerate heat more than cold. I don't like the heat either. I know it gets cold there but it does warm up like Upstate said.

My DH wants to leave FL to move there. We've only visited once and he fell in love with the area. We love to vacation in the Carolinas and TN. I'm unsure what it will be like to live there. I'm going to give it a try just like you did. I give you a lot of credit for trying it. If you don't try, you will never know.

Try to get out as much as you can and talk to people. Are your kids involved in activities that you can meet the parents? I know the cold is no fun but before you know it, spring will be here. Give it some more time. If it doesn't work out, I think that is a great idea to use the home as a vacation home.

I'd go back to visit on spring break as well. I hope everything works out for you.

Good Luck!

Last edited by beckycat; 01-03-2012 at 06:02 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 06:03 PM

121 posts, read 244,626 times
It's so hard moving, when sometimes your entire heart isn't in the move. My story - it took over a year before I would acknowledge that we have moved to SC...I HATED it here. Then ....this place started growing on me. Now - there are very few places in the US I would consider moving to.

So sorry you are having a rough time. I hope you are able to find someone/something to make the transition easier!

Old 01-03-2012, 06:09 PM

32 posts, read 73,095 times
I moved from CA to Florida and it took a good year before I got used to the different way of life. I was very homesick at first and kind of always was.....but then FL became home and it was fine. It takes a while to adjust to everything that might be different and it's very important to plug yourself into groups like meetup.com and church, taking classes for a hobby, etc. Good luck and hang in there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area