Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 05:54 AM

21 posts, read 40,397 times

Advertisements

How are the cops/police in Greenville/Spartanburg area? Do they have speeding ticket attitudes were they pull over anyone to make their quota for the day? Or are they pretty lenient with most traffic stops? I know in some states they can be aggressive! I'm just gattering info. I'm NOT a wreckless driver, but i do tend to have a led foot at times.

Like to be aware before i dare!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 07:05 AM

22 posts, read 51,356 times
They are like most states, they have quotas. It also seems that they often pull you over just because you happen to be driving by them. Just after moving here my husband was pulled over while driving on Wade Hampton through one of the smaller towns. He was pulled over by a police officer who said he was driving 80 in a 40! The officer yelled at him and threatened to arrest him. My husband said he was not driving that fast, I believe him and I also know with so much traffic on Wade Hampton you can't even get up to that speed. The craziest thing about it is that we drove the same way a week later and realized he was pulled over in a 50 mile per hour zone and there aren't even any 40 mile per hour signs posted at all in any of the towns we drove thorough. It seems like the general rule down here is no more then 5 to 10 miles over the speed limit. You won't really need to worry about it though, most of the time traffic flows quiet nicely so the slower speeds don't matter much.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:16 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstridMonster View Post
They are like most states, they have quotas. It also seems that they often pull you over just because you happen to be driving by them. Just after moving here my husband was pulled over while driving on Wade Hampton through one of the smaller towns. He was pulled over by a police officer who said he was driving 80 in a 40! The officer yelled at him and threatened to arrest him. My husband said he was not driving that fast, I believe him and I also know with so much traffic on Wade Hampton you can't even get up to that speed. The craziest thing about it is that we drove the same way a week later and realized he was pulled over in a 50 mile per hour zone and there aren't even any 40 mile per hour signs posted at all in any of the towns we drove thorough. It seems like the general rule down here is no more then 5 to 10 miles over the speed limit. You won't really need to worry about it though, most of the time traffic flows quiet nicely so the slower speeds don't matter much.
I would not expect an officer to make such a mistake. With the recent reports of fake cops attempting to pull people over; is he sure this was a real cop? Did he get a ticket?

If you are blatant about it you will get ticketed. I have never been stopped in this state but I poke along at the speed limit almost always. If you can't afford the fine, crime doesn't pay!

Old 01-07-2012, 01:44 PM

315 posts, read 623,483 times
Quote:
"Just driving by them" is not a criminal offense. Maybe you should sue and get rich.

Quotas are a myth. Look it up. NO one has quotas. A big myth. LA County had them decades ago, go sued over it and lost. Anyone who says "he was just trying to make his quota" is ignorant, because they do not exist. To have a "quota" would legally require the government to have prior knowledge of a crime that has not yet occurred. Meaning....you MUST have X number of tickets, because we know X number will occur. Nope. Unlawful. Quotas only exist in the minds of people who are pissed because they got caught driving badly.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:58 PM

8 posts, read 12,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
"Just driving by them" is not a criminal offense. Maybe you should sue and get rich.

Quotas are a myth. Look it up. NO one has quotas. A big myth. LA County had them decades ago, go sued over it and lost. Anyone who says "he was just trying to make his quota" is ignorant, because they do not exist. To have a "quota" would legally require the government to have prior knowledge of a crime that has not yet occurred. Meaning....you MUST have X number of tickets, because we know X number will occur. Nope. Unlawful. Quotas only exist in the minds of people who are pissed because they got caught driving badly.
The more you know the more you grow!

Troopers' Ticket 'Quotas' Questioned After Memo Leak - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville

Quotas are real! Always have been, always will be. They have to be able to cover their salaries in these tough economic times.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:09 PM

155 posts, read 266,122 times
Don't break the law = don't get a ticket.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:09 PM

125 posts, read 206,616 times
You still miss the point....how about actually driving the speed limit...if you don't and get a ticket, put on you big boy/girl pants and take your medicine. The truth is quotas are not needed as at any given time it is simple enough to find someone exceeding the limit. I tried to talk my way out of every ticket I've been written...with limited success. The one thing each ticket had in common...I was wrong.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:15 PM

177 posts, read 470,753 times
Every time I have ever gotten a ticket I go to court and before the judge comes in the officers stand up and offer to take a guilty plea and reduce the fine and points in half. Always go to court. I'll admit I speed and that's just the way it is. And anytime I get pulled the cop is as nice to me as I am to him...even once for 58 in a 35. He actually reduced it on site to under 10, so basically 43 in a 35. He did tell me not to bother coming to court and noted the ticket ;~}

Old 01-07-2012, 08:53 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
They are like most states, they have quotas. It also seems that they often pull you over just because you happen to be driving by them. Just after moving here my husband was pulled over while driving on Wade Hampton through one of the smaller towns. He was pulled over by a police officer who said he was driving 80 in a 40!...The craziest thing about it is that we drove the same way a week later and realized he was pulled over in a 50 mile per hour zone and there aren't even any 40 mile per hour signs posted at all in any of the towns we drove thorough.
US-29, Wade Hampton Boulevard, is 45 from the City of Greenville up to Reid School Road in Taylors, 50 from there to Fairview Road/Old Rutherford Road, 45 from there through Greer up to SC-80 (Verne Smith Parkway/Gary Armstrong Road, 50 from there to Pine Valley Road/North Spencer Street in Duncan, 45 from there to Syphrit Road in Wellford, 55 from there to Fairforest-Clevedale Road, and 50 from there to Target. It sounds like Lyman or Wellford police were conducting speed traps.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:59 PM

125 posts, read 206,616 times
That is impressive CK. You might want to change your name to Rain Man..... it's 45, 45 then 50 back to 45 then 55 back to 50 back to 50....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area