Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 05:46 PM

43 posts, read 110,408 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Anderson County. When I apply for my South Carolina driver's license will the DMV accept my paasport as proof of identity. My birth certificate has my maiden name. I was married before and do not have the paper trail to show my current name from my bith certificate. My passport has my current married name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 06:08 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
DMV requires a marriage certificate if you are using a married name that's different from your birth certificate. I don't see anything about a passport being a accepted proof of current name. Here is the pertinent page from DMV's web site. When in doubt call the source.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,181 times
I just traded in my NH license for a SC one in Greenville county yesterday. Passport and Social Security card is what they asked for....no mention of birth certificate.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:37 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
That's odd... when I traded my NC license for SC in 2009 (in Greenville Co) I HAD to have a birth certificate. And for women in front of me in line and in other nearby lines, I heard over and over again the request for a marriage license for proof of name change.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:38 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,185,127 times
Hmmm... when I read your question I remembered answering someone a while back about the same thing. Went to find the post so I could paste the link here with the information. Come to find out, it was you who asked the same question that I answered back in October:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/21398581-post14.html

Old 03-03-2012, 10:40 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Hmmm... when I read your question I remembered answering someone a while back about the same thing. Went to find the post so I could paste the link here with the information. Come to find out, it was you who asked the same question that I answered back in October:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/21398581-post14.html
Looks like the question was asked in 2010 also.

The best way to check is just to go do it. Take all of the documents you have and explain it to them. No matter what advice we keep giving you, it's ultimately the DMV worker that decides. I thought initially I would have a problem after they looked at my documents, then they decided it was okay.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:53 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
My wife had to have her birth certificate and marriage license when we did ours a few months ago.

BUT, the docs on the website linked earlier in this thread state that you can use either a birth certificate or a passport card for proof of citizenship, and don't state that you have to provide marriage licenses if you use the passport.

It's possible that the newer passport card already meets the requirements to prove citizenship, since you have to provide the same documentation of name change to get a new passport, and it has your current name on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area