Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 06:24 AM

20 posts, read 38,060 times

Advertisements

We are looking at buying a new house in the Upstate area and have no experience with an irragation system, are they necessary? The builder wants approx $5,500 for a 6 zone system (whatever that means) that would cover the front and back, not sides. That seems like alot of $ to me. Can a system be put in later by a private contractor? Would it rip up the lawn alot? Any idea what a private contractor might charge to put in a system with a timer for the whole yard, about 1.4 acre?

Any/all help would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Morrispa; 03-14-2012 at 06:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 06:43 AM

38 posts, read 68,470 times
Are they necessary? Yes and no. A lot of rain in the south, but there are devices that can be installed that measure the rain and if enough has fallen, the irrigation system doesn't come on. There are times of drought in the south as well. I would say they are really nice to have.

We just installed one in my yard about a month ago just me and my father.

We had 4 zones and it cost me about $2000-$2500 and 4 weekends (mainly due to rain), but our yard is much smaller than yours. I will tell you that most of the cost of an irrigation system is in the labor. Materials are not that expensive.

Depending on the actual size of the yard and how much digging is necessary the costs will vary, but that does seem fairly decent to me. Most things from the builder are usually high. They quoted us a stone patio with fire pit for $7500 and I paid a stone mason to do it for $3000.

At the very least I would put it out to bid and get some quotes.

Good luck.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:09 AM

Thanks iwabow is the 4 zones the whole yard and how large is your yard? Did you have to dig down deep to install it and did you ruin the lawn putting it in?

I though 6 zones for just the front and back sounded like alot.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:22 AM

27 posts, read 105,999 times
admittedly, i'm a major lawn "nerd". i love having my lawn looking like a putting green. we built a new house and paid $2700 for a 7 zone system. so, yes, your builder is ripping you off. irrigation is absolutely necessary if you want to have a nice lawn and you'll have to sod it too. it cannot be had without the combination. i tried and wasted lots of $$$. make the initial investment up front and you'll be very happy.

my neighbor just had Kings Irrigation & Landscape install irrigation in their backyard. i met Nate, and he is a fireman and an all around good guy who is fair and honest with pricing. his # is 864.630.1086. best wishes on getting that lawn looking good!

Old 03-14-2012, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the response MoRedBull. Approx. how large is your lawn that you needed 7 zones and is that your total lawn? What is used to determine how many zones you need? Would you tell me who put yours in for $2700 and how long ago was it?

Any idea how much your neighbor paid Kings and for what ie size, zones etc?

Can you tell we have no idea what we are doing.

I need to re-check with the builder what they sod (I know the front is) and what they seed. I do remember they use Bermuda grass.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:58 AM

27 posts, read 105,999 times
my yard is roughly 12,000sqft and around 0.5 acre. the guy that put mine in was contracted via the builder and i do not recommend him.

i can help advise you on some things from a vantage point of someone who went through it 2.5 years ago. shoot me an email if you'd like and i'd be more than happy to answer more questions.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:31 AM

Thanks MoRedBull I sent you a private through this site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area