Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:22 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times

Advertisements

An article in today's Greenville News says local real estate developer Tom Croft is planning to break ground this summer on a new mixed-use project that includes five floors and 100 apartment units in the heart of Greenville's vibrant West End. I remember his original plan for an eight-story luxury condo tower (named "The Chicora") on the same site, but am glad to see the planned scope has been adapted to meet current market demand.

New downtown apartments planned | The Greenville News | GreenvilleOnline.com

Link to the Google News option:
New downtown apartments planned - Google Search

Link to official plans submitted to the City's Design Review Board:
http://www.greenvillesc.gov/Planning...hettStreet.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 07:35 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
Just saw that online. Great! It finally took a housing downturn to bring more rental units into dowtown apparently. Hey - whatever works!

Old 04-18-2012, 01:45 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
Here is a link to another, more informative article from GSA Business:
Developer plans residential apartments for downtown Greenville

Quote:
“The location gets better and better as more things happen around it,” Croft said. “Most of the new ventures in the West End have all exceeded expectations of a lot of people. The West End has become a very vibrant, desirable location to be.”

Old 04-18-2012, 10:16 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
The location gets better and better as more things happen around it,” Croft said. “Most of the new ventures in the West End have all exceeded expectations of a lot of people. The West End has become a very vibrant, desirable location to be.”
I think that area has exceeded EVERYONE'S expectations. To have that area go from desolate, post-textile, 'don't be out past 6' slum into a very successful and beautiful extenstion of downtown is like any city planner's dream come true. I wish we had some people with half that kind of planning here in my lower corner of the upstate.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I think that area has exceeded EVERYONE'S expectations. To have that area go from desolate, post-textile, 'don't be out past 6' slum into a very successful and beautiful extenstion of downtown is like any city planner's dream come true. I wish we had some people with half that kind of planning here in my lower corner of the upstate.
While downtown Anderson ain't no Greenville so to speak, I think it's quite nice, esp. when you consider that Greenville's center of gravity in the Upstate tends to suck up most of the good stuff. Downtown Anderson has a few interesting restaurants/pubs and some cute shops, and it's obvious that the city has shown it some love in the form of streetscaping, etc. I'm sure it will only get better.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:47 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
While downtown Anderson ain't no Greenville so to speak, I think it's quite nice, esp. when you consider that Greenville's center of gravity in the Upstate tends to suck up most of the good stuff. Downtown Anderson has a few interesting restaurants/pubs and some cute shops, and it's obvious that the city has shown it some love in the form of streetscaping, etc. I'm sure it will only get better.
You're right, they have a 'few' good places in downtown, and have improved the streetscape...but the thing is, the businesses in the area tend to have a very short lifespan unless they're pretty well established. Recently, we lost a fresh market, one maybe two restaurants, a club, and something else I can't quite recall. We have had some replacements/new editions, but I also see several spaces that have been emptied over the past few years and are still empty, with some being empty for quite a long time. There's also the Chiqola which failed with both the club, stores, and condos. It may be a bit complicated trying to compare it, Anderson would be no where near Greenville's advancement even if the two were the same size. Actually come to think of it, I see downtown Iva, SC as more succesful than Anderson...at least they manage to keep all the places occupied and the area realitvaly lively.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:53 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
And yet another one: https://www.gsabusiness.com/news/440...artments?rss=0

Old 06-01-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
That may be the development that a friend who lives downtown told me was coming soon to the West End this past weekend.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:10 AM

807 posts, read 1,785,261 times
Glad to see that someone is going to use that space. The warehouses are kind of an eyesore.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:20 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
And another: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/Planning...kleyStreet.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area