Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:18 AM

20 posts, read 19,401 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I (and expecting!) will be moving from Dallas to the Greenville area in late June or first week of July. We'll be visiting for a couple of weeks starting June 3 for job interviews (teachers) and hopefully settle on a rental place for at least 6 months up to a year. We would prefer a townhouse, but will consider a house if nothing else is available. (We plan to buy a place within a year...just want to take our time.)

Does anyone on this forum have recommendations for agents to a help us find a rental place during our visit? Thank you!

Blake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 02:20 PM

344 posts, read 816,445 times
Welcome! I saw some townhouses on a property management site the other day when I was looking for something for a family member. Check out Marchant Property Management. Good luck with your search!

Oh, and congrats on the upcoming baby- Highlands Center for Women is a great Ob/gyn practice in Greenville (if your wife will have the baby after you move).

Old 05-21-2012, 03:23 PM

Thank you! It looks like they've got some properties we might be interested in checking out so I've sent an email off to them.

And thank you for the congrats and recommendation. I mentioned Highlands Center to my wife and she said that was a place she had listed in her research.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:24 PM

10,100 posts, read 7,771,136 times
I agree about Highlands Center for Women! They came highly recommended when I moved here and I highly recommend them to others.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 05-21-2012 at 03:58 PM..

Old 05-22-2012, 05:41 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,398,783 times
Blake. I moved here a year ago (from Cleveland) for a job. Do prepare yourself for a bit of a culture shock, coming from Dallas.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:57 AM

Thanks for the heads up. We've visited the area a couple of times so we are aware of the differences. I would think coming from Cleveland would be a much more significant culture shock than Dallas though!

Old 05-22-2012, 06:14 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Do prepare yourself for a bit of a culture shock, coming from Dallas.
Please elaborate.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1026 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. We've visited the area a couple of times so we are aware of the differences. I would think coming from Cleveland would be a much more significant culture shock than Dallas though!
The two things I find most difficult to adjust to are the social (conservative) cliimate, and frankly, the lack of things to do.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:21 AM

Blake,

If you find yourself limited to choosing an apartment complex, I recommend West Chase in Greer. They have treated me with respect from day one, which is hard to find in the world of corporate apartment complexes. Their maintenance is very good, and they are truly a caring front office.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:24 AM

Hmmm, there seems to be plenty of things to do in the area...at least things that fall within our interests. For us, there are the mountains, golfing and family and beaches are within a five hour drive.

As for the socially conservative "climate", one of the things that really struck us was how polite and well-mannered most of the people were (including the kids). (My wife, then girlfriend, got accidentally bumped a few times by kids and they always took a second to quickly apologize. People nodded or said hello and at the Drive baseball game we went to, everyone was incredibly friendly and well-behaved. It seems like a great place to start a new family for us!

You might be referring to the religious aspect instead. We have plenty of the same in Dallas and while we're not church-going people (right now, but do plan on finding one in Greenville), most people are just live-and-let-live types. Anyway, I think the environment there will be better for our children overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area