Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 11:02 AM

5 posts, read 12,953 times

Advertisements

Hello Friends-

We are excitedly making plans to relocate to the Greenville area. I will be traveling daily to my new job at Clemson and my husband will be looking for work in Greenville. There are a number of areas that we are considering (Powdersville, Easley, Anderson). I was wondering if anyone knew of some new (or newer) family-friendly subdivisions where our two young children (elementary school-aged) could make some good buddies. I have seen some, but a number of them are on septic tank, which kinda turns me off. Looking for a price range in the low 200's.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 11:50 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
I wouldn't rule out homes on a septic tank. We've owned 3 houses with septic systems and never had a problem.

There are some houses in those areas on sewer but most of the Powdersville area isn't on public sewer. In my opinion, Powdersville in the Anderson District One area is going to have the best schools among your choices. Are you looking for new construction or an existing home? Do you want a big lot or houses closer together? Looking for a neighborhood pool and HOA or looking to avoid HOAs?

There are a lot of options out there - the area around Powdersville has seen a lot of growth in the last 20 years.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:35 PM

Thanks so much, VolstuckinNC! I grew up in a large city and was always on city water/sewer, so I don't know much about septic tanks or the care required to maintain them. Moreover, my mother-in-law told me that her septic tank precluded her from having a garbage disposal--which seemed a bit odd to me, but again I don't know much about them.

In answer to your question, I would be looking at either new construction or a younger existing community (no more then 10 years old) HOAs don't bother me too much. A neighborhood pool would be great for the kids, but if I found a great community without a pool, I'd join the local YMCA. I like being near other houses, but not on top of them. I don't mind a little drive to work but after 30 minutes, I'd probably get a little uncomfortable with that commute. Looking for an area that has sports, Cub Scouts for the kids - and again great schools.

Does that help?

Old 08-23-2012, 01:08 PM

65 posts, read 116,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadebensmom View Post
Thanks so much, VolstuckinNC! I grew up in a large city and was always on city water/sewer, so I don't know much about septic tanks or the care required to maintain them. Moreover, my mother-in-law told me that her septic tank precluded her from having a garbage disposal--which seemed a bit odd to me, but again I don't know much about them.
We have a garbage disposal and a septic tank with no problems. We don't put a lot of food down the disposal, but we still use it. At first I didn't like having a septic tank, but after getting it pumped a few months ago, I realized it's not a big deal. We had a riser put on it because it's about 3 feet underground. Next time it needs to be pumped, the lid is near the surface so it won't be hard to get to. It's really not a lot of work. Call a pumping service up, they come out and pump it, pay them, and you're done. Just don't drive a vehicle over top of the septic tank and drain field.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:48 PM

Thanks so much for your response rwint! I might do some more research, but from what you indicated, it doesn't sound like it's as big of a deal as I originally thought.

So maybe septic tanks are ok, and that will likely increase my chances of finding family-friendly neighborhood between Clemson and Greenville.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on subdivisions?

Old 08-23-2012, 09:27 PM

807 posts, read 1,783,880 times
You really need to get with someone who knows the area. There should be a variety that suits your needs. As far as the septic I much prefer having a septic over paying a sewer bill.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadebensmom View Post

In answer to your question, I would be looking at either new construction or a younger existing community (no more then 10 years old) HOAs don't bother me too much. A neighborhood pool would be great for the kids, but if I found a great community without a pool, I'd join the local YMCA. I like being near other houses, but not on top of them. I don't mind a little drive to work but after 30 minutes, I'd probably get a little uncomfortable with that commute. Looking for an area that has sports, Cub Scouts for the kids - and again great schools.

Does that help?
If you want excellent schools within a reasonable drive for both of you, I'd stick with the Powdersville area. Anything with Wren or Powdersville as the high school is going to give you really good schools from elementary onward.

We have a garbage disposal with septic but I've always heard to use it very sparingly with a septic tank. I basically just use it to clear the kitchen drain if it backs up. I've never had to have my septic pumped out and have honestly never had a problem. I know it can happen but it hasn't so far for us.

There are quite a few subdivisions with HOAs and community pools. We had a bad past experience with an HOA so we avoided them this time around. After living here a year I haven't heard any real local horror stories so maybe the HOAs are more reasonable in this area.

Anyhow, there are a few subdivisions that come to mind. Watson Grove is a small subdivision right off Brushy Creek Road with an HOA, a pool, and lots of kids. Houses would be in your price range but might be a bit beyond 10 years old. They look well-built to me, but I've only driven through there a handful of times.

Hornbuckle is another nice subdivision with a pool and some community amenities and would also have homes in your price range but I think most of them would be 15 years old or so.

Pendleton Plantation has a community pool and HOA. There will be a few in there below $250K but most are a bit higher. The homes in there are newer (may still be building a few) but to my eye they don't look as well constructed.

Leacroft is over by the Powdersville schools and has a pool and a small lake. I think most of those houses are around 10 years old. Might be at the top of your price range, though.

Spring Hill Farms is a new subdivision with some homes in the price range you mentioned. The lots are 1/4 acre which is too small for me - might work for you, though.

Shadow Oaks also has a community pool and houses in your price range. I think most of the homes in there are around 15-20 years old, though.

Those are most of the community pool subdivisions I can think of in that school district and in your price range. There may be more. Pat that replied up above knows the area well - I think her grandkids go to Anderson District One schools if I remember correctly from previous posts.

I think Powdersville is a nice area but I may be biased since I bought a house here last year. We have been pleased with the schools. The neighbors are mostly really nice. They are building almost any shopping you want just up the road in Easley. Our drive to shopping in Easley is less than 10 minutes but that will vary some depending on where in Powdersville you are coming from. The mall and shopping in Greenville is less than 30 minutes away. The Anderson mall in the other direction is about 40 minutes down I-85.

Clemson is less than 30 minutes for us and most of that is on a freeway so it goes by pretty fast. Downtown Greenville (for work or the park down there) is about 20 minutes. I work out at Donaldson Center (another place with quite a few employers) and it takes me 25-30 minutes to get there.

I also really like that I can be at Table Rock or Devil's Fork State Parks in the mountains in under an hour. There are some other hiking trails around Lake Jocasse that are even closer - something I enjoy as an outdoorsy kind of person.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:25 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
Clemson is less than 30 minutes for us and most of that is on a freeway so it goes by pretty fast. Downtown Greenville (for work or the park down there) is about 20 minutes. I work out at Donaldson Center (another place with quite a few employers) and it takes me 25-30 minutes to get there.

I also really like that I can be at Table Rock or Devil's Fork State Parks in the mountains in under an hour. There are some other hiking trails around Lake Jocasse that are even closer - something I enjoy as an outdoorsy kind of person.
Another great thing about commuting to Clemson from Powdersville is the fact that you have three excellent routes to choose from, with several additional deviations available if desired. The primary route is I-85 to US-76. The other significant route is US-123 (freeway between Easley and Clemson). The third option is an enjoyable rural route via SC-81 to SC-88 to US-76.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Another great thing about commuting to Clemson from Powdersville is the fact that you have three excellent routes to choose from, with several additional deviations available if desired. The primary route is I-85 to US-76. The other significant route is US-123 (freeway between Easley and Clemson). The third option is an enjoyable rural route via SC-81 to SC-88 to US-76.
For us, US-123 is faster. Which one of these routes is the fastest will depend on exactly where you live and where you are going to in Clemson. In any case, expect 25-35 minutes from Powdersville to Clemson.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:05 AM

This is excellent information and I really appreciate your taking time to share this with me. I knew about the two routes to Clemson, but did not know about the rural route (SC-81 to SC-88 to US-76), so I will check that out. Additionally, I will check out the neighborhoods that you mentioned. Again, thanks so much for your help! Appreciate your responsiveness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area